Pmr446/cb cross band repeater

Licence free two-way radio services that now includes both FM and digital channels. Discuss models, modifications and other similar worldwide standards such as FRS and GMRS.
Classic

Pmr446/cb cross band repeater

Post by Classic »

So when is someone going to set one up ? If anyone wants to please post here and we will help you do so :D
Classic

Re: Pmr446/cb cross band repeater

Post by Classic »

Classic wrote:So when is someone going to set one up ? If anyone wants to please post here and we will help you do so :D
Anyone in the London area wnating to help set one up please get in touch with me
radiosification
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by radiosification »

What's the point? You'll need 2 radios to talk through it, one with a massive antenna and one with a short one. And the range will vary hugely between the receive and transmit. Depending on which way you do it, people will either be able to hear the repeater and not talk in most of the time, or will be able to talk in most of the time and not be able to hear any response from the repeater.
If you're interested in digital voice, check out my YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/radiosification
Classic

Post by Classic »

radiosification wrote:What's the point? You'll need 2 radios to talk through it, one with a massive antenna and one with a short one. And the range will vary hugely between the receive and transmit. Depending on which way you do it, people will either be able to hear the repeater and not talk in most of the time, or will be able to talk in most of the time and not be able to hear any response from the repeater.
Tell you what you stick to 0.5 watt argos handhelds talking to the next street and leave real radio to the people that know {bnghd}
Bogget
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Bogget »

Well actually no you could do it and in fact set up the cross band repeater with one radio using a Woxung quad band rig.

and of course to use it you only need a CB or 446 radio as send and receive is both on 27 and or 446 so a 27 cb can talk to a 446 radio and hold a conversation he did not say duplex he said cross band repeat so both Tx and RX is on the same freq and passed to another band.

Bogget
Amateur does not have a CH its pronounced "am-a-tore" NOT am-a-chure !
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

Classic wrote:Tell you what you stick to 0.5 watt argos handhelds talking to the next street and leave real radio to the people that know {bnghd}
Charming...
DX-Digger
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: TM205

Post by DX-Digger »

Classic wrote:So when is someone going to set one up ? If anyone wants to please post here and we will help you do so :D
So instead of helping "someone" to set one up, why dont YOU! set one up. then you can advertise it on here with all the frequency data etc, and we can, if we can hear it talk through it.

Then If/When Ofcom decide to track it down it will be you who risks the prosecution.
Me I'll stick to my 0.5W handheld! ;-) :lol:
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
pmr446man
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by pmr446man »

Classic wrote:
radiosification wrote:What's the point? You'll need 2 radios to talk through it, one with a massive antenna and one with a short one. And the range will vary hugely between the receive and transmit. Depending on which way you do it, people will either be able to hear the repeater and not talk in most of the time, or will be able to talk in most of the time and not be able to hear any response from the repeater.
Tell you what you stick to 0.5 watt argos handhelds talking to the next street and leave real radio to the people that know {bnghd}
That comment has made my night :lol: :lol:
pmr446 king.
radiosification
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by radiosification »

Classic wrote:
I don't think you'll get much further than the next street on a cross band Cb/446 repeater mate...
I mean, unless the users are prepared to use a 6 foot long antenna
If you're interested in digital voice, check out my YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/radiosification
NiCdeth

Post by NiCdeth »

I think people are missing the capabilities somewhat. Decent C.B. handhelds are massive, take 10,000 expensive batteries (lasting about an hour) and the antennas are either not practical or VERY obvious. Whilst there probably isn't much call for cross band DX, a talkthrough WOULD provide remote access to C.B. using a smaller radio. Given the choice, I'd rather carry a 446 rig on my belt than half a ton of HF brickwork and an antenna that looks like it escaped from an anne summers outlet.
Bogget
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Bogget »

NiCdeth wrote:I think people are missing the capabilities somewhat. Decent C.B. handhelds are massive, take 10,000 expensive batteries (lasting about an hour) and the antennas are either not practical or VERY obvious. Whilst there probably isn't much call for cross band DX, a talkthrough WOULD provide remote access to C.B. using a smaller radio. Given the choice, I'd rather carry a 446 rig on my belt than half a ton of HF brickwork and an antenna that looks like it escaped from an anne summers outlet.

I always wondred what they sold in Ann Summers im off down there on Saturday,....must go tell the wife.......shes always in there and gets through loads of batteries now i know why!!!!

Bogget :?
Amateur does not have a CH its pronounced "am-a-tore" NOT am-a-chure !
M3ZZN

Post by M3ZZN »

well saying about the argos radios ive tested them and they actually worked ok for me got well over 2 miles as with all radio no matter what depends on terrain
pmr446man
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by pmr446man »

M3ZZN wrote:well saying about the argos radios ive tested them and they actually worked ok for me got well over 2 miles as with all radio no matter what depends on terrain
They tend to not be rechargable mate.
pmr446 king.