High Power use of PMR446

Licence free two-way radio services that now includes both FM and digital channels. Discuss models, modifications and other similar worldwide standards such as FRS and GMRS.
chin913
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: notafullone

Re: High Power use of PMR446

Post by chin913 »

cubwolf wrote:Local chap had his FT817 taken from him by the lovely Ofcom chaps for having a 446 channel stored in it and a few people have had official warnings so be careful fellas.

How did they have the right to take it away coz it had 446 in it?? I have all the pmr's in my 400dr I cant tx on there like ..well not on that radio ...And why did he let ofcom take the radio...I am sure ide have smashed it up before some offical tried to take it from me
cubwolf
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: M3CBY

Post by cubwolf »

If they think it has been used illegally that have the powers to take it.
They gave him the option of handing it over or take all his radio gear so he chose that option in the hope he might get it back.
The others that have been visited have only had warnings so I have no idea why they took this one radio.
chin913
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by chin913 »

Ohhh I have had offcom round here at my qth once... It wern't me gov :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbtM_GcMMk0 it was to trace this on vhf ... a nice guy he was..funny I seen him the next day looking for more noise this time on uhf on a mod base :-)
LeakyFeeder
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by LeakyFeeder »

Ofcom shud get their arses into Barnsley Town centre an have a looksee at what certain Taxi drivers are using.... I personally know of three that have Tait 25w PMR sets on 446 an just sit on the rank chatting... No more than 20yrds between em!
chazwozza
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 26CD172

Post by chazwozza »

Pretty sure Ofcom cant take stuff just because it has a few channels in memory
after all he's entitled to listen

And any ham using their gear on cb channels needs a swift kick to the nads
like they don't have enough
DX-Digger
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: TM205

Post by DX-Digger »

LeakyFeeder wrote:Ofcom shud get their arses into Barnsley Town centre an have a looksee at what certain Taxi drivers are using.... I personally know of three that have Tait 25w PMR sets on 446 an just sit on the rank chatting... No more than 20yrds between em!
shhhh just think! youre out on the town! on the Razz you take your little 446 radio with ya! instead of ringing up a taxi company and booking a taxi, you call up on 446 "Any of you taxi guys want a quick job off the books pick me up at"
etc etc instant taxi!

Shhh dont tell Ofcom ;-)
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
pmr446man
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by pmr446man »

chazwozza wrote:Pretty sure Ofcom cant take stuff just because it has a few channels in memory

Don't quote me but i was always under the impression that listening to 446 channels on a scanner is illegal but its hardly something i would consider even remotely wrong.
pmr446 king.
chin913
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by chin913 »

chazwozza wrote:Pretty sure Ofcom cant take stuff just because it has a few channels in memory

I enjoy being a pirate from time to time , nowt like letting your hair down from time to have play...
bigfella8
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: bigfella8

Post by bigfella8 »

[quote="chin913"][quote="chazwozza"]Pretty sure Ofcom cant take stuff just because it has a few channels in memory

well its happening here in Leicester at the moment.
uniden 72xlt, ubc3500xlt,bct15x.
crt 6900, president Jackson mk 1,boafeng uv5r+,yeasu ft840,yeasu 7900,8900,kenwood ts 2000.colt excaliber mk1.
Windy_Miller
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Windy_Miller »

DX-Digger wrote:shhhh just think! youre out on the town! on the Razz you take your little 446 radio with ya! instead of ringing up a taxi company and booking a taxi, you call up on 446 "Any of you taxi guys want a quick job off the books pick me up at"
etc etc instant taxi!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Just think, you have made it to the front of the taxi rank, and someone comes on the PMR446 radio, obviously the worse for wear after one too many shandies trying to send you to an address the other side of town for an anonymous pick up.

Yeah, right!

Good luck with that. Let us know how well it works! :lol:
26TM944
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 26TM944

Post by 26TM944 »

One should be careful, in law Ofcom apply these:

Seizure without warrant
Power is given in Section 99(3) of the 2006 Act for constables, or those authorised by Ofcom, to seize and detain without warrant, for the purposes of legal proceedings, certain apparatus or things found where they have reasonable grounds to suspect that certain offences have been or are being committed.

Obstruction
Under Section 98 of the 2006 Act any person who intentionally obstructs an authorised enforcement officer exercising powers under a section 97 search warrant, or who fails or refuses without reasonable excuse to give any assistance which section 97 requires, may be guilty of an offence. Under section 100 of the Act it is an offence intentionally to obstruct a constable or officer authorised by Ofcom who is exercising the power in section 99(3).

So don't assume they won't seize it and issue you a piece of paper. I've met people from Baldock in the past who'd seized "BRL500s" and the like in days gone past! Even non-working kit in the past has been used in court against CBers.

Be careful.

Steve
26-TM-944
  • A rig, twig & burner.
gmham
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 108TM154

Post by gmham »

DO Ofcom still publish conviction rates these days ? always remember seeing one from a few years ago amd being very surprised just how little actual prosecutions took place for illegal radio use.
Yaesu FTDX10
Kenwood TS711e
Anytone D578UV Pro+

Moxon antenna for 10/20 mtrs

——
John - 108TM154 / 108CO154
M6UCW
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 2E0UCW
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (UB7 Greater London)

Post by M6UCW »

Seizure without warrant
Power is given in Section 99(3) of the 2006 Act for constables, or those authorised by Ofcom, to seize and detain without warrant, for the purposes of legal proceedings, certain apparatus or things found where they have reasonable grounds to suspect that certain offences have been or are being committed.

How does one prove "have reasonable grounds to suspect that certain offences have been or are being committed". This would be a grey area in any form of crime. Having the frequencies in a transceiver that is used for legal use by a licensed amateur or even owning a transceiver could then be classed in that category. Is there any way for Ofcom to prove that a radio was used to transmit on PMR446?

I own a Baofeng UV-5R which I have all PMR446, 2m and 70cm frequencies loaded. I don't have an amateur licence (but starting my foundation course next month) but currently I attach it to my mobile holder and put it on scan to check what I can pick up as my scanner is too large for this purpose.
Winner of the amazing In before the lock game 16/07/14
26TM944
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 26TM944

Post by 26TM944 »

It only needs "reasonable grounds" that could be a recording of you, they will accurately measure the transmit frequency and deviation etc. to prove beyond doubt it was you on that kit.

TX fingerprinting has been about years. MWDXers use it to ID TX sites where many share one frequency. Don't assume the man "looking" for you is a spotty geek fresh from college, some are veterans of the field and know all the tricks :-)

If you choose to break the "laws" then in their eyes they'll use whatever against you be it word on the street or a simple QSO with you whilst phishing for info in that QSO ...

Consider this hypothetical chat on 446.

"mate your signal sounds solid what rig is it?"
"Yazoo 857 proper ham rig mate 50w blasting out on 446"
"wow you're strong mate you in merton you're blowing my doors off"
"nah mate, up the road from the co-op on the tesco roundabout, you might have seen my place, got a big beam up"
"wow you do SSB as well?"
"yeah always on T5 mate 1000w, HANG on mate someone at the door ..."

Easy peasy!

Steve
26-TM-944
  • A rig, twig & burner.
RadioPixie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM552

Post by RadioPixie »

Oscar the engineer that writes in the Radio User mag, does state that when it comes to pirate broadcasters taken to court, the authorities often claim that the offender was causing interference to essential services whether they had the evidence or not.

As for having a Baofeng all loaded on 2/70/446, you have still installed a transceiver without a licence. The key word is "installed".

'Ere mate yazoo 857 can't stick 50 watts out on 446. They only do p1$$ poor 20 whiskies :lol:
73 from Dave the Pixie - 26CT052 - 26TM552 - CB Radioaficionado