High Power use of PMR446

Licence free two-way radio services that now includes both FM and digital channels. Discuss models, modifications and other similar worldwide standards such as FRS and GMRS.
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Re: High Power use of PMR446

Post by kr0ne »

This is the problem... for a while we had a great thing going. We were able to use 5W handies for mobile comms with non licensed mates while out and about and nobody really noticed or cared.

Now we have people using 50W and up, campaigns to re-brand PMR446 as the "Unofficial UHF CB Radio System" and folks hell-bent on getting as many people as possible using illegal power on the band whether they need to or want to - or have the faintest idea what they are doing!

Naturally this has now attracted the attention of the regulator, who appears to be taking an interest.

Talk about p1ssing on your chips! {bnghd}
Bogget
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Bogget »

Actually i quite like the acidic taste, .....................but how do you know i am not an ofcom official just on here to wind you up and get reaction just to keep me in a job, self creation so to speak , after all it happens all the time in industry, look at anti virus where would norton be if there where no virus? so who do you think write many of the virus?

Bogget
Amateur does not have a CH its pronounced "am-a-tore" NOT am-a-chure !
chaych

Post by chaych »

Bogget wrote:Actually i quite like the acidic taste, .....................but how do you know i am not an ofcom official just on here to wind you up and get reaction just to keep me in a job, self creation so to speak , after all it happens all the time in industry, look at anti virus where would norton be if there where no virus? so who do you think write many of the virus?

Bogget
And the police pays people to riot, fire service pays people to set fires and ambulance service pays people to injure themselves
Midland G7 XTR
Baofeng UV-5R+
Motorola XTNiD
Uniden Bearcat 3500XLT
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

Bogget wrote:how do you know i am not an ofcom official
Well, statements like this are a bit of a giveaway:
:crazy: Bogget wrote:look at anti virus where would norton be if there where no virus? so who do you think write many of the virus?
:lol:
Bogget
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Bogget »

.....i love it on here, next youll be telling me the moon isnt made of cheese :o

Bogget :D
Amateur does not have a CH its pronounced "am-a-tore" NOT am-a-chure !
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

:lol:
StormShadow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by StormShadow »

Didn't ofcom relax the rules on fixed antennas for PMR446?

If ofcom have taken away that fixed antenna rule, what difference is it going to make using a yagi or bunging out a few watts? :think: :shh:

I'm sure ofcom have got bigger fish to fry rather than spying on some individuals with 4w radios on PMR446 :shifty:

I'd strongly advise those to stay away from LPD433 and stick to 446.
cubwolf
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: M3CBY

Post by cubwolf »

Ofcom couldn't relax the rules on something that's an eu standard and as far as I can tell from people that have been busted in Leicester the fixed antenna rule is still there.
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

StormShadow wrote:what difference is it going to make using a yagi or bunging out a few watts?
A Yagi is a directional antenna.
radiosification
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by radiosification »

I think they allow non fixed antennas as long as the gain is still below a certain number that the ERP stays below 0.5W.
So if you have a yagi with a gain of 9dB, then your radio will have to put out some tiny amount of power like 10mW. (Didn't calculate that, its just a guess at the power)
If you're interested in digital voice, check out my YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/radiosification
pmr446man
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by pmr446man »

radiosification wrote:I think they allow non fixed antennas as long as the gain is still below a certain number that the ERP stays below 0.5W.
So if you have a yagi with a gain of 9dB, then your radio will have to put out some tiny amount of power like 10mW. (Didn't calculate that, its just a guess at the power)
Thats the impression I was under.
pmr446 king.
LeakyFeeder
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by LeakyFeeder »

Only 50w ? Hmmm QRP aint fir me... :wtf:
Adriano9966
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Adriano9966 »

radiosification wrote:I think they allow non fixed antennas as long as the gain is still below a certain number that the ERP stays below 0.5W.
:D Actually its 83mw in order to produce an erp of roughly 500mw ( 0.5/6) and also the field strength would be an awesome 0.5vm at a distance of 10 metres ;)

:| My understanding is that the erp must not exceed 500mw but that the aerial should also be monopole so in order to get unity gain it would need to be something like a quarter wave gp or a small dipole

:ugeek: However the advantage of being able to mount the aerial on a pole at height would still make a significant difference in range :thumbup:
StormShadow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by StormShadow »

Bogget wrote:Actually i quite like the acidic taste, .....................but how do you know i am not an ofcom official just on here to wind you up and get reaction just to keep me in a job, self creation so to speak , after all it happens all the time in industry, look at anti virus where would norton be if there where no virus? so who do you think write many of the virus?

Bogget
Linux
StormShadow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by StormShadow »

I dunno... all the info about PMR446 seems to be all to sketchy for my liking and hell I don't dare use 50w on 446 maybe 4w buts thats all I'd do. I'm deleting all 446 channels from my radios and I'm just gonna stick to 70cm's from now on, on the UHF side of things. It ain't worth getting caught out tbh. Don't get me wrong I love the idea of 446 but until things become official I'm staying away from 446 just to be on the safe side. Ofcom are targeting Ham radio operators in particular.