Who's using 446 in your area

Licence free two-way radio services that now includes both FM and digital channels. Discuss models, modifications and other similar worldwide standards such as FRS and GMRS.
mof000
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Who's using 446 in your area

Post by mof000 » 28 Oct 2015, 17:19

[quote="Bruin"]In West Cardiff I get kids, a motorcycle instructor, Crane operators (up, down, left a bit,take a step forward)

I get that near me but it's a brothel for the blind :)
I'll pay whatever i think it's worth...:-)

GeeFull
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by GeeFull » 28 Oct 2015, 19:42

MrWeetabix wrote:
Registration wrote:i dont understand why someone could use analogue anymore....
Because why over-complicate things. If you want to talk to as many people as possible, you use simple, open comms.

Analogue FM is the mainstay of the Radio hobby in the UK and across the world.
I echo what was said in answer above.
If you want a semi private "one on one" with your mate, maybe digital is for you, if however you just like a general open channel "chat", with the hope passers by might call in and join, analogue FM is probably going to attract more chance of general passers by and callers in, at this moment in time, and probably for quite some time to come.
That goes for both amateur radio, and 446.

Registration
Banned
Banned

Post by Registration » 28 Oct 2015, 19:51

Is PMR446 used in the UK instead of CB?

GeeFull
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by GeeFull » 28 Oct 2015, 20:05

Registration wrote:Is PMR446 used in the UK instead of CB?
No not really, usualy used as well as CB, or even as well as amateur radio by some, its just somewhere else some go to have a casual reasonably local chat.
There are some dedicated 446 users, who tend to stick and experiment just there, but its not really used as a direct replacement for CB.

Registration
Banned
Banned

Post by Registration » 28 Oct 2015, 20:16

hmm i dont like CB so much... I cant understand why nobody introduce an Digital Standard there.
It would make everything so much easier. Every Radio could have an ID given by the User and someone (non gov organisation or a local cb club) could give anyone an ID. The could also add an Repeater Mode like on Tetra to allow Homestation to increase the Range of Mobile Stations.

I believe my dream never will come true...

GeeFull
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by GeeFull » 28 Oct 2015, 20:47

Registration wrote:hmm i dont like CB so much... I cant understand why nobody introduce an Digital Standard there.
It would make everything so much easier. Every Radio could have an ID given by the User and someone (non gov organisation or a local cb club) could give anyone an ID. The could also add an Repeater Mode like on Tetra to allow Homestation to increase the Range of Mobile Stations.

I believe my dream never will come true...
Your belief is spot on, it will never happen.
The whole concept of CB was simple point to point general members of the public "citizen" comms, on cheap standardised basic equipment.
Whilst you may feel digital is the answer to all of radios ills, and repeaters and ID's would be cool etc., its just taking a sledgehammer to crack a nut, and over complicates what just doesn't need, nor deserve to be that complex and technical.

Registration
Banned
Banned

Post by Registration » 28 Oct 2015, 20:50

That (expect an internal repeater) Possible with Digital (PMR) Radios now.
Hmm I wish I could find someone who own an "legal" digital PMR.... Illegal Radio are much cheaper and that sucks.

Windy_Miller
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Windy_Miller » 28 Oct 2015, 21:27

MrWeetabix wrote:
Registration wrote:i dont understand why someone could use analogue anymore....
Because why over-complicate things. If you want to talk to as many people as possible, you use simple, open comms.

Analogue FM is the mainstay of the Radio hobby in the UK and across the world.
Most PMR446 users don't want "simple open comms". They want to be able to speak to their group, and thats it. The last thing they want is someone on the side asking for a "Roger"! ;)

Registration
Banned
Banned

Post by Registration » 28 Oct 2015, 21:30

So CCTS or how its calling is the wrong way... SDR# could show the khz and some Radio could auto tune to it repeat with.

Clipper

Post by Clipper » 29 Oct 2015, 08:45

Registration wrote:hmm i dont like CB so much... I cant understand why nobody introduce an Digital Standard there.
Couldn't you just buy a phone to do this? :?

GeeFull
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by GeeFull » 29 Oct 2015, 09:18

Clipper wrote:
Couldn't you just buy a phone to do this? :?
Just use Skype, or a plethera of other PC based communications mediums, and if you really feel the need to emulate radio at the same time, one of the several virtual radio platforms and have your own little "chat room".
No RF, no antennas, no local interferance, no need of propagation for that occasional "distance contact", and away you go.
Making 446 ridiculously complicated, just to appease a few who want "private Hi-Tech comms", sort of defeats the very purpose it was introduced for.
What next digital "D-Star like" CB?

kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne » 29 Oct 2015, 10:20

Err... surely this is exactly what PMR446 was intended for and what the vast majority of users want?

Sure, it doesn't fit well with our usage as radio hobbyists - but we are but a tiny insignificant portion of the user base...

Registration, there are digital standards on PMR446 already, however these do not appear to have caught on in any kind of meaningful way yet in the UK. Possibly due to competing, incompatible standards, relatively higher startup costs and legacy investment in analogue equipment.

If you search for digital PMR446 on Google, or this forum, you will find a wealth of information. It doesn't work quite how you suggest though and repeaters within the PMR446 band are both verboten and impractical.

Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral » 29 Oct 2015, 10:25

If you wish to experiment with digital and repeaters, and actually have a chance of someone being on the other end of the transmission, get a ticket.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition

GeeFull
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by GeeFull » 29 Oct 2015, 10:28

Admiral wrote:If you wish to experiment with digital and repeaters, and actually have a chance of someone being on the other end of the transmission, get a ticket.
In a nutshell, what Admiral said! :thumbup:

kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne » 29 Oct 2015, 10:38

Can't argue with that! ;)