Gliders on 446...

Licence free two-way radio services that now includes both FM and digital channels. Discuss models, modifications and other similar worldwide standards such as FRS and GMRS.
LeakyFeeder
Top Poster
Top Poster

Gliders on 446...

Post by LeakyFeeder »

On my way to Lincoln today on the A1 the radio picked up some comms between three or four stations tracking along the River Trent...
Turns out they were gliders running out of a small grass field that sits on a ridge where the A6075 meets the A57 (Notts i think)...
Nothing was heard on VHF apart from Waddo radar an various just the gliders talking to each other an the ground on two 466 channels (2 and 8)both using sub tone 4.....

Anyone else heard this lot ? Seems unreal in this day an age they are using toy town radios for comms.....?
Can see the field on Google Earth but nothing named
Farty
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Gliders on 446...

Post by Farty »

Why spend more if toy town comms does the job?
In Before The Lock Champion of Total Magnificenceness May 2016
JGR
Registered New User
Registered New User

Post by JGR »

0.5w will be fine air to air or ground to air in fact it will be perfect for them.
Do not believe everything that is in black and white.
Oh and prestigious Winner of "In Before The Lock June 2014"
Flex 5000A, Trio TS-830S, Icom IC-E2820, IC-E92D and a DVB-T SDR Dongle
Farty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Farty »

0.5 watts with a thousand feet of altitude and no metal fuselage to attenuate the signal probably works very nicely, and its quite likely it was a meaty Baofeng 2 or 3 watts and better antennae.
In Before The Lock Champion of Total Magnificenceness May 2016
chaych

Post by chaych »

yea..why spend hundreds of £ on an airband if cheap PMR446 works for them...though they're breaking the regulations
Midland G7 XTR
Baofeng UV-5R+
Motorola XTNiD
Uniden Bearcat 3500XLT
thelad
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by thelad »

I have heard some para gliders/motors on PMR446 in the past.
Uniden UBC120XLT
Uniden USC230E
Uniden UBC3500XLT
Binatone PMR MR500 x2
Magiksun TM-490 (BF-888) x3
Baofeng BF-888
TTI TSC 100R
Baofeng UVB5
Zastone D900
Icom IC-R6
bigpimp347
Registered New User
Registered New User

Post by bigpimp347 »

when i first went for the RAE there were a couple of glider or plane people there..
they were told they had to do an RAE to be able to use radios airborne.
not sure how much has changed since then, it was 25 plus years ago..

but this story would go back to the driving instructors using 446...only takes one homebase illegal 25w PMR radio user to key on them and give them abuse and you have problems..

where was that again, not too far away from me :)
I want to Die Asleep like my Grandad did,
Unlike his Passengers, Screaming and Shouting.!
pmr446man
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by pmr446man »

bigpimp347 wrote:when i first went for the RAE there were a couple of glider or plane people there..
they were told they had to do an RAE to be able to use radios airborne.
not sure how much has changed since then, it was 25 plus years ago..

but this story would go back to the driving instructors using 446...only takes one homebase illegal 25w PMR radio user to key on them and give them abuse and you have problems..

where was that again, not too far away from me :)
lol not the motorcycle debate,
I agree that keying up on them is bad but i also agree that they shouldn't rely on it for safe comms,
I kind of agree with both sides of the coin really.
pmr446 king.
chaych

Post by chaych »

With 446 glider pilots aren't able to communicate with other gliders and there is a possibly of a mid air collision especially when flying through clouds or near other airfields
Midland G7 XTR
Baofeng UV-5R+
Motorola XTNiD
Uniden Bearcat 3500XLT
thelad
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by thelad »

chaych wrote:With 446 glider pilots aren't able to communicate with other gliders and there is a possibly of a mid air collision especially when flying through clouds or near other airfields
they are more than likely just using them for ground to air as its cheaper and easy to open a flying site. Most glider pilots will have an airband.
Uniden UBC120XLT
Uniden USC230E
Uniden UBC3500XLT
Binatone PMR MR500 x2
Baofeng BF-888
TTI TSC 100R
Baofeng UVB5
Zastone D900
Icom IC-R6
Bogget
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Bogget »

The gliders on the A15 at Kirmington also use 446

Bogget
Amateur does not have a CH its pronounced "am-a-tore" NOT am-a-chure !
LeakyFeeder
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by LeakyFeeder »

Im going back over to Lincoln on sunday to pick up the bike i went to look at earlier.. Will stop right next to the gliders field an try an see what freqs they work on...
Surely being so close to Waddo an Scamps they must have some form of VHF airband comms?
Never been right keen on gliders...anyone that has to take a parachute aloft cant have much faith in what they are doing.... :lol:
chaych

Post by chaych »

LeakyFeeder wrote: Never been right keen on gliders...anyone that has to take a parachute aloft cant have much faith in what they are doing.... :lol:
My gliding club has never deployed their parachutes since they opened 30 years ago. Based on your logic, sailors don't have faith in what they're doing too as they all carry life jackets and lifeboats :roll:

The use of PMR446 instead of proper airband radios by glider pilots wanting to save cost can be deadly if one pilot strays too near another airfields and doesn't radio in their location/heading/height on the gliding frequencies..that's when you'll see the parachutes deployed
Midland G7 XTR
Baofeng UV-5R+
Motorola XTNiD
Uniden Bearcat 3500XLT
thelad
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by thelad »

chaych wrote:
LeakyFeeder wrote: Never been right keen on gliders...anyone that has to take a parachute aloft cant have much faith in what they are doing.... :lol:
My gliding club has never deployed their parachutes since they opened 30 years ago. Based on your logic, sailors don't have faith in what they're doing too as they all carry life jackets and lifeboats :roll:

The use of PMR446 instead of proper airband radios by glider pilots wanting to save cost can be deadly if one pilot strays too near another airfields and doesn't radio in their location/heading/height on the gliding frequencies..that's when you'll see the parachutes deployed
I imagine opening the co ck pit would be a challenge and un belting, by that time it may not be worth it.
Uniden UBC120XLT
Uniden USC230E
Uniden UBC3500XLT
Binatone PMR MR500 x2
Baofeng BF-888
TTI TSC 100R
Baofeng UVB5
Zastone D900
Icom IC-R6
chaych

Post by chaych »

thelad wrote:
chaych wrote:

I imagine opening the co ck pit would be a challenge and un belting, by that time it may not be worth it.
Not really. there are releases to dislodge the canopy and the unbelting is a simple case of turning a dial.
Midland G7 XTR
Baofeng UV-5R+
Motorola XTNiD
Uniden Bearcat 3500XLT