Base antenna for PMR446, high gain

Licence free two-way radio services that now includes both FM and digital channels. Discuss models, modifications and other similar worldwide standards such as FRS and GMRS.
Bigdave
Legend
Legend

Re: Base antenna for PMR446, high gain

Post by Bigdave »

Only if you get caught,coz you have been grassed on...............
26 TM 1248
WINNER of INB4TL, the big battle edition 16/07/23
OFTEN IMITATED,BUT NEVER INTIMIDATED.
WINNER of INB4TL,the no interest edition 18/03/24
buzz500
Regular
Regular

Post by buzz500 »

They look close enough to tv antennas to me,so probably no one will give them a second look once theyre up.Stupidly thick rg213 might give the game away though.
Buzz
Mikel
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Mikel »

phillmobile wrote:isn't this illegal ?
No it is not illegal to make antennas :D
................................................................................................2W0NBF.........................................................
Excalibur
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Excalibur »

Someone ALWAYS has to to ruin a thread...
RadioPixie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM552

Post by RadioPixie »

Illegal where? 446 MHz beam is legal in the USA on 70cm ;)

Surprised you haven't criticised it for not having a folded dipole as a driven element :lol:
73 from Dave the Pixie - 26CT052 - 26TM552 - CB Radioaficionado
RadioPixie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by RadioPixie »

buzz500 wrote:They look close enough to tv antennas to me,so probably no one will give them a second look once theyre up.Stupidly thick rg213 might give the game away though.
Buzz
There's always Aircell 7mm coax ;)
RadioPixie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by RadioPixie »

Mikel wrote:
No it is not illegal to make antennas :D
Isn't illegal either to discuss ideas ;)
Adriano9966
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Adriano9966 »

:ugeek: not illegal if you reduce the rf power so that the erp is equal to 500mw ...with a effective gain of 10db this is possible by simply inserting a 10db attenuator into the transmission line reducing the imput power to 50mw..remember ofcom will allow external aerials so long as the erp does not exceed 500mw .

That said so just what is the advantage I hear you cry ?? .... :ugeek: The advantages are twofold one is higher reception gain and the other is lower noise due to the directive nature of the antenna this translates as an increased range without increasing the erp which on pmr 446 is 0.49VM at a ten metre distance ...... :thumbup: even if the erp remains 500mw the gain on reception will be unchanged

I seem to remember participating in similar experiments on 934mhz CB back in the day
RadioPixie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by RadioPixie »

If 446 hobbyists wish to use a 10dB yagi, why not have them horizontal as this will drop the signal down 20dB, and reduce causing interference to other users with their vertically polarised handies.
DX-Digger
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: TM205

Post by DX-Digger »

Adriano9966 wrote::ugeek: not illegal if you reduce the rf power so that the erp is equal to 500mw ...with a effective gain of 10db this is possible by simply inserting a 10db attenuator into the transmission line reducing the imput power to 50mw..remember ofcom will allow external aerials so long as the erp does not exceed 500mw .

That said so just what is the advantage I hear you cry ?? .... :ugeek: The advantages are twofold one is higher reception gain and the other is lower noise due to the directive nature of the antenna this translates as an increased range without increasing the erp which on pmr 446 is 0.49VM at a ten metre distance ...... :thumbup: even if the erp remains 500mw the gain on reception will be unchanged

I seem to remember participating in similar experiments on 934mhz CB back in the day
The problem with putting a 10db attenuator into the transmission line is it makes the beam useless on receive as it attenuates the received signal by 10dB, you will lose the reception gained by the beam, unless you can get inside the radio and only attenuate the Transmit side?

:D
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
lz1mak
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: lz1mak

Post by lz1mak »

RadioPixie wrote:If 446 hobbyists wish to use a 10dB yagi, why not have them horizontal as this will drop the signal down 20dB, and reduce causing interference to other users with their vertically polarised handies.

Yes, you are right! We did it at contests, with two 10dBd antennas phased and with good altitude, sometimes we got 400+ miles at UHF. Horizontal, to reduse unwanted signals.
73 de lz1mak
Adriano9966
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Adriano9966 »

DX-Digger wrote:
Adriano9966 wrote: not illegal if you reduce the rf power so that the erp is equal to 500mw ...with a effective gain of 10db this is possible by simply inserting a 10db attenuator into the transmission line reducing the imput power to 50mw..remember ofcom will allow external aerials so long as the erp does not exceed 500mw .

The problem with putting a 10db attenuator into the transmission line is it makes the beam useless on receive as it attenuates the received signal by 10dB, you will lose the reception gained by the beam, unless you can get inside the radio and only attenuate the Transmit side?

:D

:D er yes good point .......but surely that is why some inline attenuators rather than being fixed would include a switch in order to switch in and out of line..... I should have mentioned that too ;)
buzz500
Regular
Regular

Post by buzz500 »

Bloody `ell!!! This place has become a haven for the Fun Police all of a sudden :lol: :lol: :lol: stop worrying about what others are doing and chill out!! :D :D :D :D :D
Buzz
pmr446man
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by pmr446man »

Google it.
pmr446 king.
lz1mak
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: lz1mak

Post by lz1mak »

Hello to all,

I have question. Do you have in UK day/days in the summer with higher outside activity? I mean there is better chance to try to catch more PMR446s. I am looking to get job and to take computer course there, so I will bring one or two antennas to give a try.
Marin