446 simplex repeater up and running west London

Licence free two-way radio services that now includes both FM and digital channels. Discuss models, modifications and other similar worldwide standards such as FRS and GMRS.
radiosification
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: 446 simplex repeater up and running west London

Post by radiosification »

:lol: Letting the enemy know where you are, of course!
If you're interested in digital voice, check out my YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/radiosification
Classic

Post by Classic »

kr0ne wrote:
Classic wrote:Things like this will come in handy when the next world war starts
For what? :?
Don't worry i'm sure mobile phones will work and you will able to keep in contact with family miles away :thumbup:
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

If my mobile doesn't work I'll do what I normally do. Use the landline... ;)
Excalibur
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Excalibur »

Why are people on the RADIO forum recommending cell phones for communication purposes? It's very strange and self destructive for the radio world if you ask me.
GeeFull
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by GeeFull »

It may have something to do with the fact that they are far more reliable, in many applicable areas, and far more populated by many millions of contactable numbers, than shouting "Channel 9 for an emergency", and far more flexible in what they provide technicaly to the end user!
Voice, data, pictures, e-mail, texts, whatever all enclosed in a tiny device that sits in your top pocket.
On a technical point, they do actualy work via "radio", albeit a far more complex system of digital full duplex, so do classify as radio products!
Excalibur
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Excalibur »

GeeFull wrote:It may have something to do with the fact that they are far more reliable, in many applicable areas, and far more populated by many millions of contactable numbers, than shouting "Channel 9 for an emergency", and far more flexible in what they provide technicaly to the end user!
Voice, data, pictures, e-mail, texts, whatever all enclosed in a tiny device that sits in your top pocket.
On a technical point, they do actualy work via "radio", albeit a far more complex system of digital full duplex, so do classify as radio products!
But GeeFull if you strongly believe this about Mobile phones then why are you on a radio forum? If you can just call someone then why are you using a radio? :?
Excalibur
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Excalibur »

Also mobile phone coverage is negible or non existant in some areas.
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

GeeFull wrote: On a technical point, they do actualy work via "radio", albeit a far more complex system of digital full duplex, so do classify as radio products!
Aha! I know which thread this post inspired... ;)
GeeFull
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by GeeFull »

Excalibur wrote:
GeeFull wrote:It may have something to do with the fact that they are far more reliable, in many applicable areas, and far more populated by many millions of contactable numbers, than shouting "Channel 9 for an emergency", and far more flexible in what they provide technicaly to the end user!
But GeeFull if you strongly believe this about Mobile phones then why are you on a radio forum? If you can just call someone then why are you using a radio? :?
Because I enjoy radio as a hobby!
And have done for over 50 years, starting out as a short wave listener as quite a young kid, and enjoying 35 years plus of that as a licenced amateur.
More than enough time to appreciate both its benefits, AND its limitations!
That doesn't mean I think radio superior to my mobile phone should I need to contact the Police, Firebrigade, Ambulance, my wife, a close relative, or whoever in the case of an emergency!
Or at other none emergency times any other none radio using aqauintences for a simple chat!
The two have quite different uses and benefits in the areas they are intended to be used within.
If the sh1te hit the fan, I know which one I would be reaching for first!
And on the other hand, when I want a bit of enjoyable hobby time chat, around the globe, or more local, the amateur gear gets used!
No amateur/cb service, however well run, or populated, can be relied on for someone who can actualy "help" to be there, within earshot, when ever you need it, it really is that simple!
And despite mobile phones having certain "no signal" spots, I would bet money you have far more chance of finding an "actualy helpful to your current situation" contact on there, than you do of actualy finding some useful amateur/cb monitoring service, or person, sat waiting and listening out for your "emergency" call! ;)
Road_Hog
Banned
Banned

Post by Road_Hog »

GeeFull wrote: "actualy helpful to your current situation" contact on there, than you do of actualy finding some useful amateur/cb monitoring service, or person, sat waiting and listening out for your "emergency" call! ;)
And if you did find a frequency/channel monitorer, what is the first piece of communications equipment they would use to summon help.
radiosification
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by radiosification »

Road_Hog wrote:
GeeFull wrote: "actualy helpful to your current situation" contact on there, than you do of actualy finding some useful amateur/cb monitoring service, or person, sat waiting and listening out for your "emergency" call! ;)
And if you did find a frequency/channel monitorer, what is the first piece of communications equipment they would use to summon help.
Their voice
If you're interested in digital voice, check out my YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/radiosification
Road_Hog
Banned
Banned

Post by Road_Hog »

radiosification wrote:
Road_Hog wrote:
Their voice
Sorry, but voice doesn't meet the definition of equipment.

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/diction ... /equipment

Have another go, you might do better/get it right next time.
Excalibur
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Excalibur »

kr0ne wrote:
GeeFull wrote: On a technical point, they do actualy work via "radio", albeit a far more complex system of digital full duplex, so do classify as radio products!
Aha! I know which thread this post inspired... ;)
I assume you meant my thread about GSM? :D Yeah I saw that post and it reminded me of another post here a while back talking about "£15 for a cheap phone to join the largest trunked gsm network" or something and I wanted to make a thread since I was interested into actually the gsm bands themselves
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

Road_Hog wrote:Sorry, but voice doesn't meet the definition of equipment.

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/diction ... /equipment

Have another go, you might do better/get it right next time.
They'd probably come on TM1 to post about the contact first, so I'm going to go with a computer.
vuittion
Regular
Regular

Post by vuittion »

Is this repeater still in use.