"Unofficial" UHF CB Channels

Licence free two-way radio services that now includes both FM and digital channels. Discuss models, modifications and other similar worldwide standards such as FRS and GMRS.
oddjobb
Regular
Regular

Re: "Unofficial" UHF CB Channels

Post by oddjobb »

Thanks Excalibur.
So if I use 1watt or 5watts on PMR446 frequencies (in a very very rural area with no near neighbours) I suspect it won't cause anyone any problems or get me into any trouble (likelihood only, I know in theory it could)?
I just need a bit more range for some back to backs when i go shooting over the hill, where my 500mW PMRs drop off. I know there are other factors like terrain etc, but I was thinking that with the boafengs running 1 or 5 watts and a decent antenna, it would surely give me more range than my standard PMR radios?
Excalibur
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Excalibur »

oddjobb wrote:Thanks Excalibur.
So if I use 1watt or 5watts on PMR446 frequencies (in a very very rural area with no near neighbours) I suspect it won't cause anyone any problems or get me into any trouble (likelihood only, I know in theory it could)?
I just need a bit more range for some back to backs when i go shooting over the hill, where my 500mW PMRs drop off. I know there are other factors like terrain etc, but I was thinking that with the boafengs running 1 or 5 watts and a decent antenna, it would surely give me more range than my standard PMR radios?

It's okay im always happy to help :) In my opinion I suggest at first trying out the 500mW radios - however if the range is not working and the signal is very staticy/weak then move over the to the export baofeng sets and use low power - only use high power if really needed. Make sure you stick to the correct channels and spacing and use narrow FM mode (these can be set in the menu) - never under any circumstances transmit on anything apart from the PMR446 channels.

Also you should replace the standard antennas on the radios as they have a poor performance on PMR446, I recommend the Diamond RH771 antenna, although a bit larger than the standard antennas it really can boost the performance on these frequencies because the antenna has a higher gain, you can also use the radio on low power and even get a better performance just with low power. I really recommend these antennas because it will mean that you very rarely/never have to switch to high power mode.

Also if you want to become official and within regulations about it and not prone to interference, its worth looking to get a UK gen frequency licence as on PMR446 you are not protected from interference from other users but on UK GEN there wont be any other interference, licence costs £75 for 3 years I believe.
oddjobb
Regular
Regular

Post by oddjobb »

Thanks, but surely on the UK GEN license, the Boafengs wont be "type approved" so I still wouldn't be "official" in which case why bother? Have I got this wrong?
What does UK Gen do? Give me a frequency to use as my own? If so, I would want it as low as possible for max tx range, hence why I am getting into CBs really, the PMR stuff is just for local walking aroiund and shooting sgtuff and I wouldn't pay OFCOM for that :) - but I would for something bigger and better for more serious comms between family and friends/workers
oddjobb
Regular
Regular

Post by oddjobb »

PS I am getting a NAGOYA UT102 Car Mobile Antenna and a Nagoya NA-701 SF antenna for the Baofengs, if those are any good?
Windy_Miller
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Windy_Miller »

oddjobb wrote:What does UK Gen do? Give me a frequency to use as my own? If so, I would want it as low as possible for max tx range, hence why I am getting into CBs really, the PMR stuff is just for local walking aroiund and shooting sgtuff and I wouldn't pay OFCOM for that :) - but I would for something bigger and better for more serious comms between family and friends/workers
No. "Simple UK" gives your business access to 15 frequencies that you can use for simplex only use, i.e. no base station / repeater. Usefully for you, 5 of these channels are in the VHF low band, with one as low as 77.6 MHz. But any one of the 11,250 licencees in the country can use that frequency as well. Its up to you, your radio dealer and the other users to "self co-ordinate" to avoid treading on each others toes, using CTCSS / DCS as required. I would suspect that very few of the 11,250 are using VHF low however.

For outdoor use, I would not go for a keypad radio, but one without. You would really need that for reasonable compliance with the Interface Requirement for Simple UK anyway. Keypad radios are for hams. In any case, trying to piddle around with the tiny keys on a radio whilst wearing gloves and holding a gun is just too much hassle. If your radio dealer programmes up the 5 VHF low frequencies into channels 1 to 5 of a radio with a rotary channel selector on the top, you'll be fine.
Farty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Farty »

There no such thing as Type Approval. It was abolished getting on20 years ago.

Manufacturers now self declare their equipment CE compliant.
In Before The Lock Champion of Total Magnificenceness May 2016
Barnbilly

Post by Barnbilly »

Farty wrote:There no such thing as Type Approval. It was abolished getting on20 years ago.

Manufacturers now self declare their equipment CE compliant.
Chinese export
Dont worry what class of licence he holds, worry what class of bias he applies to the amplifier !
bigbloke
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Nominally Newport (South Wales) but potentially "anywhere"

Post by bigbloke »

Well...it seems we will get something on all 16 channels at 0.5w , probably towards the end of 2018.

but whether this extends to digital on all 16 or both on all 16 is down to ofcom and
their european equivalents.

BTW - there is now another tier1 DMR set about - chinese origin (naturally)

regards

BB
radiosification
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by radiosification »

There are Hytera DMR radios for 446. They are chinese, yes, but Hytera is much better than the other chinese manufacturers, and is generally considered a "proper" manufacturer along with companies like Icom, Kenwood, Motorola.
See here: http://www.dmrtier1.com/en/
There is already one building site near my home in London that I hear, and I suspect are using these. I can listen to them on my proper DMR radios.
If you're interested in digital voice, check out my YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/radiosification
StormShadow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by StormShadow »

The three 449 frequencies are good as well, I've heard lots of CB style chatter on those.