"Unofficial" UHF CB Channels

Licence free two-way radio services that now includes both FM and digital channels. Discuss models, modifications and other similar worldwide standards such as FRS and GMRS.
Guzzy
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM002

"Unofficial" UHF CB Channels

Post by Guzzy » 27 Aug 2012, 11:46

UHF CB CHANNELS

UHF CB Chan. 01 .... 446.00625 MHz
UHF CB Chan. 02 .... 446.01875 MHz
UHF CB Chan. 03 .... 446.03125 MHz
UHF CB Chan. 04 .... 446.04375 MHz
UHF CB Chan. 05 .... 446.05625 MHz
UHF CB Chan. 06 .... 446.06875 MHz
UHF CB Chan. 07 .... 446.08125 MHz
UHF CB Chan. 08 .... 446.09375 MHz
UHF CB Chan. 09 .... 446.10625 MHz
UHF CB Chan. 10 .... 446.11875 MHz
UHF CB Chan. 11 .... 446.13125 MHz
UHF CB Chan. 12 .... 446.14375 MHz
UHF CB Chan. 13 .... 446.15625 MHz
UHF CB Chan. 14 .... 446.16875 MHz
UHF CB Chan. 15 .... 446.18125 MHz
UHF CB Chan. 16 .... 446.19375 MHz

These are all 12.5kHz spaced channels which requires narrow FM deviation (2.5kHz), but they are offset by 6.25kHz from the usual 12.5kHz channel spacing used by normal commercial UHF channels. So you need a radio that is capable of 'stepping' in 6.25kHz channel step sizes. Using a radio that 'steps' in 5kHz means that you will be a bit off frequency. This becomes more apparent (problematic) if you are using CTCSS/DCS or when the signal is at extreme range.

The first eight channels are the standard 500mW (0.5W) PMR446 channels. The next eight channels are actually assigned as Digital PMR446 channels, and this 'unofficial' UHF CB band uses these channels in normal analogue (FM) mode instead of digital mode (illegally).

You can make use of perfectly legal PMR446 radios to access the first eight channels, but to access the other eight channels (9-16) you need an analogue radio that can be programmed with 6.25kHz steps. To make the most use of this UHF CB band, you need one of the Chinese UHF hand helds (or mobiles). This lets you program in all sixteen channels with the correct frequency and FM deviation (narrow, which is 2.5kHz).

Channel 8 is considered the 'calling channel' by many, but nothing is written in stone.

Many people use CTCSS to avoid listening to other people who aren't part of their 'closed' group.
If you see a spam (or abusive) post, don't 'reply' to it, don't 'quote' it, don't start a new thread discussing it.
Report it using the Image ('Report this post') button, inside the actual spam post.

Bogget
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: "Unofficial" UHF CB Channels

Post by Bogget » 27 Aug 2012, 12:02

Hmmmm.....luvly...... :)

Bogget
Amateur does not have a CH its pronounced "am-a-tore" NOT am-a-chure !

Guzzy
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Guzzy » 27 Aug 2012, 12:04

Seems like it's generating some repeated conversations, so I thought I'd sticky it. ;)
If you see a spam (or abusive) post, don't 'reply' to it, don't 'quote' it, don't start a new thread discussing it.
Report it using the Image ('Report this post') button, inside the actual spam post.

friendly1uk
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by friendly1uk » 27 Aug 2012, 12:34

Why is there an extra 8 channels before anyone is even using the first 8 lol
8 extra that are infact occupied by paying users.

Gotta say it. This grates a bit. I don't see how it helps anyone. What is the point in buying a legit set if half the channels are not covered. Or the point in spreading out the 4 users over 16 channels. Or needing ham gear for these cb channels. Or bothering legit users. That is like mic keying.

Guzzy
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Guzzy » 27 Aug 2012, 12:47

It's what people are doing. Image

The digital PMR446 channels (listed as 9-16 on that chart) are only used by people who own the Icom IC-F4029SDR.

One single model of radio has those channels (listed as 9-16 on that chart) to itself. No other digital PMR446 radio has ever been released since it was legalised over four years ago.

Even then, Icom IC-F4029SDR users are running TWO sets of digital channels that overlap and interfere with one another. It clearly states this in the operating instructions for the radio. It has a 16 channel set and an 8 channel set that sit on top of one another. So even if you are using the Icom IC-F4029SDR you can't guarantee that another Icom IC-F4029SDR user wont be using the different channel allocation (8 digital or 16 digital) and could therefore be interfering with you.

To say that the Icom IC-F4029SDR isn't a top seller is an understatement of BIBLICAL proportions. So the chance that you will interfere with an Icom IC-F4029SDR user is pretty low. Certainly no where near as high as the chances of you interfering with any other FM PMR446 user.

Those 8 channels (listed as 9-16 on that chart), are seriously underused.

alannah
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by alannah » 27 Aug 2012, 16:51

Guzzy wrote:Seems like it's generating some repeated conversations, so I thought I'd sticky it. ;)
Thanks Guzzy thats very helpful :D

Bogget
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Bogget » 27 Aug 2012, 19:24

I do feel that this is in favour of what the public want, as for not full use of the eight being made...lol , come here my town is full, 5 used to be the only free channel its now in use, so during the day we have no free channels, you can only get away with so much use of CTCSS on your channel, if its in use its in use, ctcss will not help two people wanting use of same channel at the same time.
Government and laws are to protect us but also to help us get what we want, your MP is only there as your spokesperson to the government. Back in the early 70s I was made a scape goat for importing and using the then 23ch CBs from America and Germany through the Isle of Man (that's another story) after a while they then gave me a job with the people who prosecuted me (GPO radio interference div.) that then lead to working with the MPs who eventually got CB81 passed it changed radio use in away we had never seen, all of this was due to public pressure and the government eventually bowing to it (and getting the old 1949 law changed).
What im getting to in my rather long-winded way is (stands higher on his orange box) if we pull together showing what we want (with out hurting anyone) we eventually will get it, there was much propaganda at first saying we caused problems with ambulances etc etc. it was of course all proved false and only propaganda.
But we did cause some problems with some RC model control gear they were moved to another frequency.

So what im saying is this is as naughty as 5mph over the speed limit in town, so let the first person who has never done that stand up.
Gentle nudging “will” get you what you want (within reason and I think this is).

As for radios that will cover it almost any cheap Chinese £20 radio will.

Bogget

Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral » 27 Aug 2012, 19:33

The problem is human nature, if this was implemented then the masses would then demand 32 channels, then 4w, then SSB, then 64 channels, then 50w, then repeaters then........................... you get the idea.

The Foundation is just about as entry level as it's probably going to get without being scrapped, so I would suggest that 446dxers are either lazy, or just taking the ****.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition

Bogget
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Bogget » 27 Aug 2012, 20:40

I take your point but i dont think so, in with demand you have to have a realistic target, maybe in time 32 would be OK how many are there again on 70cms? and how used is it?
I think it should refect demand but not exceed it by a long way.

I also feel digital is not in keeping with the spirit of 446 maybe it should be saved for bussiness users, and extending the anolog for 446PMR to 16 is not asking the earth its just making use of 8 channels with very little use.

Bogget

friendly1uk
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by friendly1uk » 27 Aug 2012, 23:24

There are 80 legal cb channels round here, but only one of them ever gets used lol

There are licenced analogue users on them 8 channels you can use for free digitally. People who's paid for frequency is being published here as a free 4 all cb channel. Fine for us I'm sure, but would you like to be them. Really. Just pretend for a moment.
WTF hay.

Guzzy
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Guzzy » 27 Aug 2012, 23:25

Excuse the language, but **** PMR446 DX'ing!

This is about a local sixteen channel UHF CB/PMR band that avoids the problems of distant (skip) stations causing interference. If you want licence free DX'ing, **** off over to 11m!

Guzzy
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Guzzy » 27 Aug 2012, 23:37

friendly1uk wrote:People who's paid for frequency is being published here as a free 4 all cb channel. Fine for us I'm sure, but would you like to be them. Really. Just pretend for a moment.
WTF hay.
The eight digital PMR446 channels have one single radio model available for use on those channels.

Only people who have purchased an Icom IC-F4029SDR (current retail price: £200.00) use those channels. That's it. No one else. No manufacturer has bothered to make another digital PMR446 radio in over four years!

One single solitary digital radio model has sole exclusive access to those eight channels. Meanwhile, every analogue PMR446 user is supposed to share the original eight PMR446 channels.

If analogue users are expected to share the eight channels by using CTCSS and DCS, then why can't the Icom IC-F4029SDR users not share their eight channels with other analogue users?

Are you seriously trying to tell me that there are so many Icom IC-F4029SDR users, that they will even notice those people who use analogue on the channels?

How many analogue PMR446 users are there?

How many Icom IC-F4029SDR users are there?

That is plain unfair, and a stupid division of the channels.

It would be much more reasonable to just share all sixteen channels between digital and analogue, but apparently Ofcom didn't think of that. This would have also effectively given digital users 32 channels!

What's the difference between a channel being in use by a digital user or an analogue user?

It's still in use, regardless of the mode. Many analogue PMR446 radios even have a BCLO feature to prevent users talking over the top of other analogue users. What's the difference? :?

benw18

Post by benw18 » 28 Aug 2012, 00:04

It would be a welcome addition to many to have 446 CB made legal. However, the likely hood of this happening is slim in my opinion. Unlike the days of CB there are not enough people who have an interest to a high enough degree to warrant the legalisation. The original 'good old days' of CB were back before technology had moved forward at such a rapid rate.

Whether we like it or not it is easier (for most) to pick up a mobile phone, log onto Facebook and use the internet to communicate... Look at what you are doing right now- using the interweb to communicate!

Less and less people are getting involved with radio today mainly due to the fact the technology is 'old' (in their opinion), un-interesting and not 'cool' like Facebook, BBM, iPhone, Twitter etc. If CB was still booming with activity and there was no room to talk I think the powers that be would possibly consider a UHF CB style band, whether it would be 446 or a different part of the spectrum I don't know.

It would be great to see an Australian style UHF CB band, but I really cannot see it happening in the near future, the demand just is'nt there.

Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral » 28 Aug 2012, 07:05

Some (but not all) of it is the 'D-star mentality', a licence free elitism, those that got 23 ch AM sets in the 70's were elite, then when the hoi polloi followed, the elite then got 40 ch, then they 'flicked it hi' to get away, then fiddled about with SSB, then when the other sheep followed them they needed to really break free, some went to Amateur radio and became a small fish in a big pond, the others needed another outlet, another lazy, anonymous one, so some criminals went to EC, some started pirating on PMR repeaters, others grew up and took up fishing or golf.
Then along came 446, and the smouldering radio ember relit itself.

I'm fine with 446, it's great for what it was intended for, short range, licence free communication for the masses, and I don't have a problem with people QRP DXing with standard or nearly standard gear, but when you read threads on here like 'what coax to use for my 446 yagi', and 'can I convert a 70cm 400w burner for 446?' it makes me put my head in my hands.

WHY?

Other than 'because we can' I would so very much like to be convinced as to why using 446 outside of the regulations is a good idea, and while you're at it, convince me as to why dwarf throwing is similarly a good thing.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition

Dagnabbit

Post by Dagnabbit » 28 Aug 2012, 09:34

Guzzy wrote:Those 8 channels (listed as 9-16 on that chart), are seriously underused.
Probably just as well for the licenced users on

- although I'd say they would be possibly better off away from 446 (if it's cheaper), with one of the Simple licences instead :lol: