Baofeng BF-888s Review

Licence free two-way radio services that now includes both FM and digital channels. Discuss models, modifications and other similar worldwide standards such as FRS and GMRS.
bugsy
Regular
Regular

Re: Baofeng BF-888s Review

Post by bugsy »

Ive set them on the baofeng but they still come through on channel 1 on the cobra which has no dcs/ctscs set
chaych

Post by chaych »

bugsy wrote:Ive set them on the baofeng but they still come through on channel 1 on the cobra which has no dcs/ctscs set
No CTCSS/DCS set on the RX radio means the squelch will open for any transmission on that frequency, even if the TX transmission has CTCSS/DCS set
Midland G7 XTR
Baofeng UV-5R+
Motorola XTNiD
Uniden Bearcat 3500XLT
bugsy
Regular
Regular

Post by bugsy »

Ahhhh i see ive worked it out now anyone can hear it on but not talk back without correct codes.

Just what i wanted i think i got a little confused with things.

Really like these radios easy to program and for the money the build quality is good.

Only thing i carnt work out in the software is what the beep tone means as well as the fm function

Also when i purchased these it said non scrambler version but i have the option in the software is there a way to tell if its on or not or if i have it?
thelad
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by thelad »

Why do people buy them when they aint got a clue!
Uniden UBC120XLT
Uniden USC230E
Uniden UBC3500XLT
Binatone PMR MR500 x2
Magiksun TM-490 (BF-888) x3
Baofeng BF-888
TTI TSC 100R
Baofeng UVB5
Zastone D900
Icom IC-R6
chaych

Post by chaych »

bugsy wrote: Only thing i carnt work out in the software is what the beep tone means as well as the fm function
the BF888S has no FM radio, and i don't think it has the roger beep either. IMO the roger beep is bloody annoying so I'm glad this radio doesn't has it.
bugsy wrote: Also when i purchased these it said non scrambler version but i have the option in the software is there a way to tell if its on or not or if i have it?
Turn Beat Shift ON for scrambler. if your radio has this feature, you will hear garbled audio on the RX radio (which doesn't have scrambler turned on). If you still hear clear audio, it means your 888S has no scrambler feature
Midland G7 XTR
Baofeng UV-5R+
Motorola XTNiD
Uniden Bearcat 3500XLT
Road_Hog
Banned
Banned

Post by Road_Hog »

chaych wrote: the BF888S has no FM radio,
And don't try turning the non existent radio on via software, it stops the scan.

"4. If FM Radio function is activated via software, the radio will not scan. Note: There is no actual FM Radio function in this radio, so this option should always remain deactivated in software."
bugsy
Regular
Regular

Post by bugsy »

Great thanks everyone for your help much appreciated. :thumbup:
bugsy
Regular
Regular

Post by bugsy »

I've recently just purchased a smaller antenna for the bf-888s.

It works fine but I noticed on the packet it says frequency 144-430 MHz but it works fine on 446 in fact the range is Better as I am now picking up stuff on this that my other with original aerial does not

Here's full details of aerial

Freq: 144/430mhz
Gain: 2.15dbi
Max power: 10w
V.s.w.r: less than 1.5
Impendance: 50ohms
Connector: bnctype sma type
Excalibur
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Excalibur »

bugsy wrote:I've recently just purchased a smaller antenna for the bf-888s.

It works fine but I noticed on the packet it says frequency 144-430 MHz but it works fine on 446 in fact the range is Better as I am now picking up stuff on this that my other with original aerial does not

Here's full details of aerial

Freq: 144/430mhz
Gain: 2.15dbi
Max power: 10w
V.s.w.r: less than 1.5
Impendance: 50ohms
Connector: bnctype sma type

Often antennas that are designed for 433 mhz will work fine on 446 MHZ. Are you getting a better range from this antenna?
bugsy
Regular
Regular

Post by bugsy »

I don't know if its better range in terms of me transmitting yet as not done a test

But when I put both side by side on same channel the one with new aerial recieves stuff the other doesant I tried swapping them over also and same happened.
Excalibur
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Excalibur »

bugsy wrote:I don't know if its better range in terms of me transmitting yet as not done a test

But when I put both side by side on same channel the one with new aerial recieves stuff the other doesant I tried swapping them over also and same happened.
May I ask what is the model of the antenna? Some work better on transmit for 446 mhz with a low SWR
bugsy
Regular
Regular

Post by bugsy »

Model is SF20

Attached a photo also
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Excalibur
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Excalibur »

I think that will be okay for pmr446 I have a similar type antenna for one of my radios and it works fine.
BK
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by BK »

Wow, look how bendy it is. This lady's so shocked all her clothes have fallen off!

bugsy
Regular
Regular

Post by bugsy »

:lol: :lol: it is bendy indeed