Baofeng BF-888s Review

Licence free two-way radio services that now includes both FM and digital channels. Discuss models, modifications and other similar worldwide standards such as FRS and GMRS.
wazuck
Regular
Regular

Re: Baofeng BF-888s Review

Post by wazuck »

BOGGET, PM sent
DistantSignal

Post by DistantSignal »

http://distantsignalradio.blogspot.co.uk/

Guys I've done a small review on the new Baofeng/Pofung GT-1, the new re-worked version of the BF-888S.

£12 on ebay!
bugsy
Regular
Regular

Post by bugsy »

Hi everyone,

Was wondering if someone could help me on this ive just purchased some of baofeng bf-888s radios and was wondering is there a post which states all the frequencies plus settings for PMR446 frequency.

I am currently using the cobra mt975 but was looking for something with a little more power as I use these for my paranormal group and some buildings we get dead spots for the radios.

Also my cobras have a dcs channels if I use all 16 on pmr446 8 analogous and other 8 digital what makes the other 8 digital as there just different frequency in the 446.1-446.2 band ? Or is there a setting in the PC programming that makes them digital.

If someone has a screenshot of there programming that would really help so I can just copy it. Sorry if I sound clueless I'd don't know a lot about this kinda thing but these radios seemed more ideal for what we need.

Thanks much appreciated
chaych

Post by chaych »

bugsy wrote: Also my cobras have a dcs channels if I use all 16 on pmr446 8 analogous and other 8 digital what makes the other 8 digital as there just different frequency in the 446.1-446.2 band ? Or is there a setting in the PC programming that makes them digital.
These radios are all analogue radios, so there's no setting that will make them digital.

446-446.0975 are reserved for PMR446, while 446.1-446.2 are reserved for dPMR, though others on this site will tell you that you can use the whole range for analogue.
Midland G7 XTR
Baofeng UV-5R+
Motorola XTNiD
Uniden Bearcat 3500XLT
DistantSignal

Post by DistantSignal »

bugsy wrote:Hi everyone,

Was wondering if someone could help me on this ive just purchased some of baofeng bf-888s radios and was wondering is there a post which states all the frequencies plus settings for PMR446 frequency.

I am currently using the cobra mt975 but was looking for something with a little more power as I use these for my paranormal group and some buildings we get dead spots for the radios.

Also my cobras have a dcs channels if I use all 16 on pmr446 8 analogous and other 8 digital what makes the other 8 digital as there just different frequency in the 446.1-446.2 band ? Or is there a setting in the PC programming that makes them digital.

If someone has a screenshot of there programming that would really help so I can just copy it. Sorry if I sound clueless I'd don't know a lot about this kinda thing but these radios seemed more ideal for what we need.

Thanks much appreciated
ImagePMR by distant_signal, on Flickr
bugsy
Regular
Regular

Post by bugsy »

Thanks for the responses.

Is it worth programming the other 8 in as well seeing as it uses 16channels.

Also regarding the CTCSS/DCS can you sellect any for these as long as there same for each radio?.

Also one question that is bugging me is the Power pmr446 is limited to 0.5w but these radios have been said to only give out just over 2 even though they say 5w.

What would the chances if any of being caught on PMR446 with one of these radios as its not like i am going to be using a base station or anything just radio to radio?
Excalibur
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Excalibur »

bugsy wrote:Thanks for the responses.

Is it worth programming the other 8 in as well seeing as it uses 16channels.

Also regarding the CTCSS/DCS can you sellect any for these as long as there same for each radio?.

Also one question that is bugging me is the Power pmr446 is limited to 0.5w but these radios have been said to only give out just over 2 even though they say 5w.

What would the chances if any of being caught on PMR446 with one of these radios as its not like i am going to be using a base station or anything just radio to radio?
You could program in another 8 of the pmr446 channels with no ctcss on those if you want. It woild be useful so you can monitor the frequencies and the ctcss or dcs isjt covering up other groups signals.

The ctcss/dcs code have to be the same in order for the radios to communicate on the same channel.

Although against regulation the chances of being into trouble are very small. This is because pmr446 is a licence free service and other users must accept interference. Licence bodies such as ofcom are more concerned about interference caused to Licended businesses and also emergency services and they are on their own dedicated frequencies not pmr446. Just make sure your radio is only on thr pmr446 frequenices neber transmit on any other frequency apart from pmr446. Use narrow fm not wide fm Use the low power mode on the radios if you really are concerned but you should realistocally be fine. To be nice to other users it's always good to break the squelch on the radio (one of the side buttons) to Check the channel is clear if you just hear static you are fine.
Last edited by Excalibur on 02 Jan 2015, 21:54, edited 1 time in total.
bugsy
Regular
Regular

Post by bugsy »

Thanks again just waiting for them to arrive now so i can get them programmed so will probally here from me again then :)
bugsy
Regular
Regular

Post by bugsy »

Just a quick one

My cobra mt975 say they go 12km (7.5miles)

But I've seen the baofeng only says 5km is this correct as I would of thought it was more for baofeng ones ?
thelad
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by thelad »

That would depend on the conditions.
Uniden UBC120XLT
Uniden USC230E
Uniden UBC3500XLT
Binatone PMR MR500 x2
Magiksun TM-490 (BF-888) x3
Baofeng BF-888
TTI TSC 100R
Baofeng UVB5
Zastone D900
Icom IC-R6
bugsy
Regular
Regular

Post by bugsy »

Ok ive attached my current setup have i done it correctly.

Also when i set CTS/DCS my cobra still picks it up on channel 1 i know that using the codes doesant stop others hearing but need them to work similar to cobra ones where they only recieve/output if code is correct either end.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
chaych

Post by chaych »

bugsy wrote:Ok ive attached my current setup have i done it correctly.

Also when i set CTS/DCS my cobra still picks it up on channel 1 i know that using the codes doesant stop others hearing but need them to work similar to cobra ones where they only recieve/output if code is correct either end.
Does the cobra's squelch open when the BF transmits? or does it only show RX?

When a transmission at that channel's frequency is detected, but has a different squelch setting, some radios show "RX", but you will not be able to hear any audio
Midland G7 XTR
Baofeng UV-5R+
Motorola XTNiD
Uniden Bearcat 3500XLT
bugsy
Regular
Regular

Post by bugsy »

Tried a few diffrent ones and it always comes through the RX and sound comes through if set a Channel 1 and DCS 1 on the cobras the baofeng lights but no sound which is what needs to happen but other way around
Road_Hog
Banned
Banned

Post by Road_Hog »

bugsy wrote:Just a quick one

My cobra mt975 say they go 12km (7.5miles)

But I've seen the baofeng only says 5km is this correct as I would of thought it was more for baofeng ones ?
Bullcrap to the Cobra distance, the Baofeng is giving a more honest in normal conditions answer.

Cobra = 500mw (0.5w)

Baofend 888 = 3w.

One has a stubby fixed aerial and one has a reasonable aerial.
Road_Hog
Banned
Banned

Post by Road_Hog »

bugsy wrote:Tried a few diffrent ones and it always comes through the RX and sound comes through if set a Channel 1 and DCS 1 on the cobras the baofeng lights but no sound which is what needs to happen but other way around
So, you've set DCS on the Cobra but not on the Baofeng?