Baofeng BF-888s Review

Licence free two-way radio services that now includes both FM and digital channels. Discuss models, modifications and other similar worldwide standards such as FRS and GMRS.
Bogget
Top Poster
Top Poster

Baofeng BF-888s Review

Post by Bogget »

The Baofeng BF-888s also called several other names.

I think this little radio has to be the best value radio for UHF general use on the market at the moment Priced at £17.99 (In the UK) and shipped from the UK.

I ordered it not expecting to much but was very surprised, its smaller than it looks in the pictures of it and nicely so it fits perfectly in your hand with normal PTT (press to talk) on the right hand side of radio and two orange coloured buttons bellow it. It comes set with channels you MUST NOT USE IN THE UK, so re program before use., it sits nicely on the PMR446 freq . It is not programmable from the handset you must use a computer and the supplied software (even though mine did not contain it) on CD (took me little time to find and download it).
Its very easy to re program and the little orange buttons on the side are reprogrammable to one button press to scan (yes it scans) or to set as an emergency call button that gives you several seconds of transmitting so if your a security guard and attacked even the dropped radio can broadcast your shouted location before reverting to receive.

The spec with it I think is older than the current radio as it claims only .2mv sensitivity after reducing the squelch threshold to 2 mine is more like .025mv sensitivity and will resolve well into the noise.
The output is claimed 5W (smile) these must be Tandy watts (remember their speakers) it actually puts out a fraction under 2W a little less than my Intek 5050 but the BF-888s was more sensitive and out preforms it massively, it is actually as good as anything I have for 446 (maybe slightly better, still testing). It also has 39 CTCSS (chineese radios are usually one step out with ours) and 83 DCS.
In operation you can held in right hand turn it on with your thumb (nearest control to you at the top) on the proper rotary volume power switch nice healthy click and then it speaks “power on channel 7” or what ever your on, the knob next to the volume on the top is the channel change, it also announces every movement and channel as you rotate it in a nice clear slightly mid Atlantic voice.
It also has the usual torch (why?) operated by the second orange button next to the PTT.

It came first post Saturday it charged by around 10am I programmed it and it has been turned on since more than 24hrs and still alive!!!

Its lighter than you expect as well, overall its well designed standard Wouxun Mic Spk spacing socket but it also comes with a covert Mic and earpiece (for sale on ebay £9.95).

It comes with CD software to programme (mine was missing) (but soon downloaded).
Belt clip (metal hinge and screwed to case)
Rechargeable battery.
Wrist strap.
Drop in charger with attached mains lead and UK adaptor.
Covert earpiece and Mic

All in all its amazing value would make a great site radio, school radio, a radio you can set up for events don’t forget it covers 400 to 470Mhz so shopwatch even.

I still cant believe its only £17.95 and that includes delivery.

Amazing, why havent you got one yet?

I have no connection with any company or person selling these, but i got mine from here http://stores.ebay.co.uk/eShowOnlineSto ... 4340.l2563

this is the link for the software http://www.e-showonline.com/Download/A0 ... A0818A.rar
its the A0784A

Bogget
Amateur does not have a CH its pronounced "am-a-tore" NOT am-a-chure !
friendly1uk
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Baofeng BF-888s Review

Post by friendly1uk »

Any chance the battery is common?
jackdawman
Call Sign: 26TM179

Post by jackdawman »

Boggett wrote
Amazing, why havent you got one yet?
Just ordered one, Citizen, on the strength of your excellent review. Thanks.

Dave
Intek HR5500, RCI Ranger 2950,Sirio Megawatt 4000, Wouxon UVD2P
Baofeng UV3-R, Baofeng BF888S, Baofeng UV-5R
Midland G7, Binatone Action 950 and other PMR446 orphans
Bogget
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Bogget »

Friendly1 sorry i dont think it is, but im sure they are available, Dave, thank you you will need the program lead for any wouxung to program around 4 quid of ebay (if you dont already) or if anyone is near me i will program for you.

PLEASE dont use with out programming as i belive its on the fire brigade freq !!! :shock:

Bogget
jonajuna
Banned
Banned
Call Sign: jon

Post by jonajuna »

wont do the PMR channels though will it? i read it has 25khz steps

cheapest i see is here at £16.16 delivered:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Walkie-Talkie ... 1047550591
sparkster

Post by sparkster »

jonajuna wrote:wont do the PMR channels though will it? i read it has 25khz steps

cheapest i see is here at £16.16 delivered:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Walkie-Talkie ... 1047550591
Mine is programmed on the 446Mhz and the general uk frequencies, no problems with it at all, i know the cheapest is £16.16, but is it worth the saving and the long wait for a couple of quid? i've just ordered another one, no idea why, maybe cos they are cheap and i have noticed a slight increase in the prices of late :)
Bogget
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Bogget »

It does all the PMR446 channels i think the spec is old the actual radio i think is newer it took every freq i tried on it.

Bogget
friendly1uk
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by friendly1uk »

It better do 446, I just paid £15.93 for one! lol With hands free kit. It's £15.49 without.
Bogget
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Bogget »

Mine does it beautifully but hey maybe there might be some older ones out there maybe thats why they are cheaper...... ;)

But like i say mine is perfect on all 446 :)

Bogget
jonajuna
Banned
Banned
Call Sign: jon

Post by jonajuna »

cool if it does the full pmr :) might have to get a couple to complement my uv3r mk1 ;)
Dagnabbit

Post by Dagnabbit »

Looks like crazy good value :o

How do you know what channel you're on? Is it clearly marked around the tuning knob, or does it do a voice announcement?
Bogget
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Bogget »

Both,.........and if you set scann on channels in your software when you select ch16 it goes in to scan mode.

Bogget
Steve152
Regular
Regular

Post by Steve152 »

Thanks for the review Bogget i've ordered one and looking forward to having a play
Good find ;)
26 TM 152
Dagnabbit

Post by Dagnabbit »

Bogget wrote:Both,.........and if you set scann on channels in your software when you select ch16 it goes in to scan mode.

Bogget
Thanks, a pair of those might make a good Xmas prez for the kids :D
(it's only 4 months away!! :shock: )
vx900

Post by vx900 »

hi guys

will these radios work with kg-uvd1p speaker mics ?
and what antenna sockets do they have on them please ?