[PMR446 MONTHLY NET] 8th day of the Month, 8pm, Channel 8

Licence free two-way radio services that now includes both FM and digital channels. Discuss models, modifications and other similar worldwide standards such as FRS and GMRS.
Monsta
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: [PMR446 MONTHLY NET] 8th day of the Month, 8pm, Channel

Post by Monsta »

the Baofeng has distinctive "bleep" and once you get used to it ...a particular low-toned slightly echo-ey modulation
...i mean they are great radios. I have TWO ....but as they have become popular with the local Deekheads for knobbing about on repeaters and breaking up QSO's on 2/70/446.....the users are referred to as "The Baofeng Bast***ds" ...so these day i try and use my Yaesu ..to avoid the label of "tw@t" ...which is a break for me :)
10/11: Anytone AT-5555, President Lincoln - Astatic Audio
HF: Kenwood TS2000 ,Kenwood G707, Heil Goldline,
bungle666
Regular
Regular

Post by bungle666 »

Monsta wrote:don't know about anyone else ..but i couldn't hear bugger all.

Once they heard around here that some of us were trying to DX ...we got bleeped out
with Baofengs or Something ...
I have line of sight with most of manchester and were were on 8 at 8pm, so ou shoulve heard us!

there is a net based in bolton on channel 8 though and they got rather irate as we were wiping them out and they came on and b0llox us! so we moved to channel 5 or 6!

were on 6 most nights having a natter so have a go if your in mancfester!

B..
Bogget
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Bogget »

As far as the net goes tell them about this web site and maybe tell them about the DX on the 8th of the month night you may end up with new friends.

Bogget
Amateur does not have a CH its pronounced "am-a-tore" NOT am-a-chure !
M3HIM
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: M3HIM

Post by M3HIM »

bungle666 wrote:I have line of sight with most of manchester ...
Have you considered getting blinds? :)
Félim M3HIM
26-CT-909 / 26-TM-989 / 26-FRS-001 / 26-IRC-909 Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, England/UK [IO91ot]
29-CT-909 / 29-TM-989 / 29-FRS-001 / 29-IRC-909 Sandymount, Dublin, Ireland/Éire [IO63vi]
pmr446man
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by pmr446man »

M3HIM wrote:
bungle666 wrote:I have line of sight with most of manchester ...
Have you considered getting blinds? :)
lol
pmr446 king.
welder
Regular
Regular

Post by welder »

Come on you 446 guy's... we will have at least six stations from East Sussex working on Tuesday evening, give us a call........
spleencheesemonkey
Regular
Regular

Post by spleencheesemonkey »

I'll be up on high ground somewhere in Wiltshire this evening on the handheld, so keep ya ears open local people.
FakeJake
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 2E0SEY

Post by FakeJake »

I'm planning on being up on Mow Cop but mainly amateur stuff. Ill keep a PMR446 handy monitoring ch8 so if i hear anyone ill reply
Jake 2E0SEY
Saltney, near Chester (Cheshire-Flintshire border)
Monitoring 2m simplex (when I can)
Dysgwr Cymraeg
welder
Regular
Regular

Post by welder »

Where are all the 446 guys.... calling on channel 8 every night from East Sussex, we regularly have a net of guys calling so give it a go......
paulm85
Regular
Regular

Post by paulm85 »

Hi Guys,

I'm interested in giving this go, but I've only ever used my radios to talk to mates. Is it as simple as asking if anyone can hear me, or is there a more formal way to go about it?

I'm just north of Glasgow if anyone nearby is going to be trying this next month.

Paul
WoollyMammoth
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by WoollyMammoth »

paulm85 wrote:Hi Guys,

I'm interested in giving this go, but I've only ever used my radios to talk to mates. Is it as simple as asking if anyone can hear me, or is there a more formal way to go about it?

I'm just north of Glasgow if anyone nearby is going to be trying this next month.

Paul
I find the easiest way to break the ice is to ask for a radio check and if anyone can confirm you are transmitting out, after that tell them you are looking for contacts, just remember some people use PMR446 for business use and probably won't talk to you apart from confirming that they are receiving you. Just because the band is silent doesn't mean no ones using it. Activity breeds activity.
paulm85
Regular
Regular

Post by paulm85 »

WoollyMammoth wrote:I find the easiest way to break the ice is to ask for a radio check and if anyone can confirm you are transmitting out, after that tell them you are looking for contacts, just remember some people use PMR446 for business use and probably won't talk to you apart from confirming that they are receiving you. Just because the band is silent doesn't mean no ones using it. Activity breeds activity.
I was just thinking how this would be almost the opposite of what I normally do when we goto use the radios, in that I normally go straight to channel five (as I've never heard anyone but the people I'm trying to communicate with on there) and ask is anyone using that channel, hoping not get a reply. I even hold open the squelch after asking incase there is a faint signal. That said, it's incredibly rare I pick up anything in the evenings or at weekends on PMR446 at all.

I just spotted the 8th of November is a friday night, so I'll just be finishing work at 8 so I'll be in Cumbernauld then, so might get someone there :-)

Paul
WoollyMammoth
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by WoollyMammoth »

paulm85 wrote:
WoollyMammoth wrote:I find the easiest way to break the ice is to ask for a radio check and if anyone can confirm you are transmitting out, after that tell them you are looking for contacts, just remember some people use PMR446 for business use and probably won't talk to you apart from confirming that they are receiving you. Just because the band is silent doesn't mean no ones using it. Activity breeds activity.
I was just thinking how this would be almost the opposite of what I normally do when we goto use the radios, in that I normally go straight to channel five (as I've never heard anyone but the people I'm trying to communicate with on there) and ask is anyone using that channel, hoping not get a reply. I even hold open the squelch after asking incase there is a faint signal. That said, it's incredibly rare I pick up anything in the evenings or at weekends on PMR446 at all.

I just spotted the 8th of November is a friday night, so I'll just be finishing work at 8 so I'll be in Cumbernauld then, so might get someone there :-)

Paul

Where I am a few people use CH 2 but don't say much, in the local industrial estate I get a few contacts but not many. I quess PMR446 isn't as widely used as I thought it was. Try calling on CH 8 as that is the unofficial calling channel.
Farty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Farty »

I'll be monitoring this. Anyone in the South Northants area joining in?
In Before The Lock Champion of Total Magnificenceness May 2016
welder
Regular
Regular

Post by welder »

East Sussex guys will be shouting tonight so give us a call .........