Hill walking network Safety Channel 8 PRM

Licence free two-way radio services that now includes both FM and digital channels. Discuss models, modifications and other similar worldwide standards such as FRS and GMRS.
handyguy2002

Re: Hill walking network Safety Channel 8 PRM

Post by handyguy2002 »

from where I live to where I walk with dogs, is about 4 - 5 miles,
I can chat to my partner easly using binatone 950 and a binatone 550
and that is when partner is inside the house not outside

I dont think we all need to carry marine radios just the base, as I do think that base with pmr should be able to relay any pmr that are in trouble
Binatone 950
QuanSheng TG-UV2
TYT 380 + TYT 9600
Kirisun S780
Uniden +BCT15x + BCD396t +BCD536 hp
HYTERA PD505
WHISTLER TRX2
radiosification
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by radiosification »

handyguy2002 wrote:from where I live to where I walk with dogs, is about 4 - 5 miles,
I can chat to my partner easly using binatone 950 and a binatone 550
and that is when partner is inside the house not outside

I dont think we all need to carry marine radios just the base, as I do think that base with pmr should be able to relay any pmr that are in trouble
I'm not sure if you are suggesting that marine and PMR446 can be used together (they can't) or that people should message the base that will call for help on the marine radio if needed. The problem with that is that the base (I presume) is lower than most of the walks? You might be more likely to reach the coastguard from the hills if they are higher than the base.

Can you not get mobile reception at the base?
If you're interested in digital voice, check out my YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/radiosification
handyguy2002

Post by handyguy2002 »

it dont have to be marine band it could be some one that using emergency band, but only for emergency as your not going to see many people in the hills using marine bands or emergency, but you do see many poeple using pmr

there dont have to be a base eather just someone out in the hills with a licence to use emergency band or even a ham rig that also has pmr to help those in trouble, as do think there is always someone out with a ham rig that could aways help out too
pmr to pmr do have a good range out in the open but not much good in built up areas unless you have mod pmr that using outdoor antenna which could be an opption if approved
Binatone 950
QuanSheng TG-UV2
TYT 380 + TYT 9600
Kirisun S780
Uniden +BCT15x + BCD396t +BCD536 hp
HYTERA PD505
WHISTLER TRX2
Jarty
Regular
Regular

Post by Jarty »

handyguy2002 wrote:it dont have to be marine band it could be some one that using emergency band, but only for emergency as your not going to see many people in the hills using marine bands or emergency, but you do see many poeple using pmr

I Was out hillwalking alone yesterday and i heard the MRT on a training exercise using marine channel 63a to talk amongst one another a few kms from where i was walking.I Never heard one PMR446 radio or any other radio traffic while scanning frequencies all the time i was out walking..
WATCHKEEPER
Regular
Regular

Post by WATCHKEEPER »

Came across a company called Skyguard, that may offer a solution. Their are three companies offering similar services. OK for those wandering around the hillocks and byeways etc, on a regular basis, though, you can never tell when an emergency situation develops, can you.

Take Care

Ian
pterodaktyl

Post by pterodaktyl »

WATCHKEEPER wrote:Came across a company called Skyguard, that may offer a solution. Their are three companies offering similar services. OK for those wandering around the hillocks and byeways etc, on a regular basis, though, you can never tell when an emergency situation develops, can you.

Take Care

Ian
Trouble with this company is all their products seem to be GSM based, so will only work in areas with a mobile network - not ideal for wilderness use. SPOT: http://www.findmespot.eu/en/index.php?cid=102 do similar devices which are satellite based - not cheap though!
GW0DIV
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: GW0DIV

Post by GW0DIV »

Last time I looked sat-phones were €35 a month for unlimited euro-zone calls or €1 or less per minute on PAYG. You could even have 128K internet access as you wait for rescue!
http://www.facebook.com/southwalesradio

http://www.radioclubs.net/rars/

Twitter: @GW0DIV

President of Bristol Channel Repeater Group
smoggy07
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by smoggy07 »

GW0DIV wrote:Last time I looked sat-phones were €35 a month for unlimited euro-zone calls or €1 or less per minute on PAYG. You could even have 128K internet access as you wait for rescue!
Where did you see a sat-phone for that price a month? thats less than I pay to orange for my GSM mobile lol
26TM234
overlandadventures

Post by overlandadventures »

The line rental is 35 euro/month
http://eu.globalstar.com/en/index.php?cid=1250
the handsets start at Euro 199.
hth
John
BK
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by BK »

Jarty wrote:I Was out hillwalking alone yesterday and i heard the MRT on a training exercise using marine channel 63a to talk amongst one another a few kms from where i was walking.I Never heard one PMR446 radio or any other radio traffic while scanning frequencies all the time i was out walking..
Round here the MRTs only use 62a for talking to helicopters, they have their own team working channels at half spacing within marine band.
overlandadventures wrote:The line rental is 35 euro/month
http://eu.globalstar.com/en/index.php?cid=1250
Wow, it looks like that includes unlimited free minutes within your home zone (which for us would be western europe, northwest africa and half way out into the atlantic), with calls charged at about 1 - 1.50 Euros per minute to other areas. Satphones are a hell of a lot cheaper than they used to be.
Jarty
Regular
Regular

Post by Jarty »

Round here the MRTs only use 62a for talking to helicopters, they have their own team working channels at half spacing within marine band.
Yes around here 62a is used as the MRT emergency calling channel for co ordinating with the Valentia coastguard radio station and the Rescue 117 Irish coastguard helicopters during call out operations..The MRT here use 63a and b,64a and b and 83a and b as there working channels here in Ireland,,mostly they seem to use 63a when there in the mountains on exercises in this area of Kerry Ireland..
littlemo
Call Sign: TM476

Post by littlemo »

littlemo
Call Sign: TM476

Post by littlemo »

radiosification
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by radiosification »

handyguy2002 wrote:it dont have to be marine band it could be some one that using emergency band,
I've never heard of this emergency band before, what is it?
If you're interested in digital voice, check out my YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/radiosification
Excalibur
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Excalibur »

I once used Pmr in a power cut and it was pitch black. I called on every channel and got a response and talked to this guy until the power was back on. Apparently a animal or something broke a transformer.