PMR-446 8-element Yagi

Licence free two-way radio services that now includes both FM and digital channels. Discuss models, modifications and other similar worldwide standards such as FRS and GMRS.
ntj
Regular
Regular

PMR-446 8-element Yagi

Post by ntj »

Hi folks,

Hehe, I know Fez has just made a similar thread but here are some notes from our homebrew sesh yesterday in case they're of use to anyone :)

We couldn't find a design that was perfect so set out to mix and match the best bits of others. We used this Yagi calculator to get our dimensions and went for an 8-element beam. If anyone wants the exact parameters used, let me know.

The true stroke of genius was using 6mm threaded rod for all elements. It's really really strong and because of the threads alignment is easy. The boom is 21x45mm timber. Total cost about ?4 :D

Not wanting to fuss with tuners, we went with a J-pole as the driven element so we could use a gamma match device (inspired by the diagram near the bottom of this page). The threaded rod made this extremely easy!

I replaced the antenna on one of my Binatone MR 150s with a BNC socket. I also knocked up a little SWR meter, but now I don't think it's really suitable for UHF.

With the SWR meter not behaving right I got out my trusty homebrew passive field strength meter (yep, both those little meters are from the same stereo!):

The meter responded strongly to the antenna and demonstrated the directional nature of the beam very well. The readings we saw from the front and rear lobes were in the ratio expected from calculating the gain out the front and the gain out the back of the reflector, which was encouraging :)

Today I set up a jig to try and peak the antenna by pointing it straight at the meter. I managed to find the gamma match sweet spot so although I don't have a UHF SWR meter I'm confident it's working well.

It certainly pulls in a lot of random PMR when I sweep it across the town I overlook. Looking forward to some range tests!
g0slq
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by g0slq »

Again, I like this idea, the thought of getting as big a signal as far as possible from 500mW seems like great fun.
G0SLQ website
Icom IC-7100 + two patchleads and a broken PL
ntj
Regular
Regular

Post by ntj »

:) I've got a better UHF SWR meter design so I'll get that knocked up in the next couple of days. Hopefully Fez and I will be able to do some range tests soon too.
Robin1
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Robin1 »

GOOD LUCK!!
FoulOleRon

Post by FoulOleRon »

What's the news with these? Any further progress?
Panteneman
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Panteneman »

I have good reason to believe that Fez was able to RX NTJ, from who is based down in the midlands for a week or so because of work. He was TX'ing from some apartment block somewhere.

I am reliably informed that there is still a SWR related issue, but results appear to be shockingly good.

I wouldn't mind getting one of those Chinese imported UHF handhelds for this kind of thing. This UHF DX'ing seems fascinating, I am a fan of PMR446. More frequencies to play about with that are licence free, a good thing in my book :D

Good on them, I say...
Speaking to people in foreign lands, with various configurations of copper wire in various strange shapes - my friends think I'm committing acts of witchcraft...
fez
Veteran
Veteran

Post by fez »

nonono, I rxed him from his house 19 Km from my house the day before he went there, NTJ (aka Iain) is currently on work in coventry and is going to try some contacts from the midlands from the top of his hotel window etc on 446.