PMR usage

Licence free two-way radio services that now includes both FM and digital channels. Discuss models, modifications and other similar worldwide standards such as FRS and GMRS.
5thElement
Veteran
Veteran

RE: PMR usage

Post by 5thElement »

First off, welcome to the forum! hope you find it hepful.

Regarding pmr446 radios, i've not personally done this, but people have opened them up to add BNC connectors etc to them so they can hook up an external antenna, this would obviously increase the range.

If you look at http://www.delboys446.co.uk/ there's alot of interesting stuff on there. There's people who try DX contacts with them and i know there's been contacts made from the UK into the Netherlands etc.

Where i live, the bulk of users seem to be shops, construction sites etc
Last edited by 5thElement on 22 Mar 2007, 19:17, edited 1 time in total.
2E0XGA
Robin1
Top Poster
Top Poster

Pmr usage

Post by Robin1 »

Well on Friday i was on the pmr and the only thing i got was neds from my high school giving me abuse!

So ch1 on pmr is a NED channel that is what i call it anyway.

But back to the question "5thElement" is right people use pmr-446 for different things.
Guzzy
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM002

Post by Guzzy »

wt_ady wrote:...however i think it'd be nice to have an open channel around here, at least within range, maybe in the neighborhood and then extend it with repeaters. who knows?
i find this fun but also very useful. maybe we could trade information like closed roads, traffic jams, shops opening and closing, clubs etc. all license- and cost-free. but i guess this will take time and people who'd like to see it happen. at least people with pmrs :D

thanks for your replies.

ady
I wish you the very very very best of luck! :lol:

We tried it with CB for the past 25 years without much success. CB is still a fractured and mostly anarchic play ground spoiled for everyone by a few idiots.

I think it boils down to one very simple issue:

It requires the co-operation and goodwill of every single operator.

You can have hundreds of people who are actively participating and have good intentions, but no matter how many good intentioned people participate, all it takes is one vindictive or small minded idiot to ruin it for everyone.

Jon