weierwei 3288s priority channel??

Licence free two-way radio services that now includes both FM and digital channels. Discuss models, modifications and other similar worldwide standards such as FRS and GMRS.
kp207
New User
New User

weierwei 3288s priority channel??

Post by kp207 »

Hi , I recently purchased a weierwei 3288s but had a question about it. I located this site and it seems the folks using it are a wealth of knowledge so I was hoping to solicit some help.I am a police officer and need the radio to scan other frequencies BUT i need
> the radio to go back to the primary home base channel when I go to
> transmit. I cant have it stop on any channel that is scanning when i go to
> talk. It would have to go to the base priority channel. Is this radio
> capable of this? If so any help or hints on how to make it do this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks , steve
5thElement
Veteran
Veteran

RE: weierwei 3288s priority channel??

Post by 5thElement »

Probably not to be honest, i assume when its scanning and you push the PTT, it just transmits on the frequency you stopped it on by transmitting?

May i ask why you mention you're a police officer? just wondered as i thought most police now use tetra radios and also this radio would be illegal to use without an amateur radio licence.
2E0XGA
kp207
New User
New User

Post by kp207 »

Thanks 5th I was afraid of that. I mentioned i was a police officer to express the importance of needing to go back to my base channel when transmitting. I dont want to transmit on a different frequency. As far as tetra radios, i have no idea what a tetra radio is. I really know very little about radios other then you hit the button to talk. A few other officers and I got the radios for the size. Its so small you can use it as a shoulder mic. It saves room on our belts as we have a lot to carry.Thanks for the answere.
ChickenMadras
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by ChickenMadras »

> I mentioned i was a police officer

Nothing to do with the fact that this site has probably the largest illegal 11m forum in the UK then?

If you tell us you are police, we can't claim entrapment can we :-)

> Ineed the radio to scan other frequencies

Scanning is illegal also. (technicly)
I'm curious as to why you want to do this?

> I really know very little about radios

With respect, you will be better off getting official advice from your force radio dudes. You wont be able to buy police tetra kit off the shelf trollboy.
Andy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Andy »

Steady on, Chicken!
I too am having difficulty understanding why a copper would need such a radio, but that doesn't mean he's a troll or on some secret mission to kick your door in!
Perhaps KP207 would like to enlighten us? In the meantime it may be a good idea to show him some manners.
The floor is yours, KP207......
'SOMEONE GET ME A SAW!'
Andy.
ChickenMadras
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by ChickenMadras »

> Steady on, Chicken!

heh
Text always sounds quite harsh, especially coupled with this mornings hangover.
Lets just politely say I'm having a little trouble taking our friends post at face value :-)

> I too am having difficulty understanding why a copper would need such a radio

Exactly !

Anyway, over to you kp207... I'm welcome to be corrected on this one.
"Trust me, I'm a scientist" ;-)
kp207
New User
New User

Post by kp207 »

I created a stir. Sorry guys. Im in the states. No idea why the sceptics. It is exactly how i explained it. My departments uses portables that are very old and heavy. For $50.00 ( off ebaY) me and a few other guys decided to splurge out of our own pockets for lighter smaller ones.We do alot of walking and between all the rest of our belt gear this little radio would have been a great improvement. Also when you sit in a patrol car an extra couple inches off our duty belts can mean the difference between a good back and a bad back. Our department has lots of old eqipment and they are not going to spend money any time soon for new equipment. That is all there is to it. Im not after you guys. We deal in real police work. i just wanted to know if we wasted our money on this radio. The only answere to my question was yes.I was only looking for someone who may know the answere to the above stated question. All the channels in the radio are for police channels, the same ones we use in our patrol cars. It is for police purposes just like the old heavey ones we use now.
Andy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Andy »

Ah, right. First of all, let me explain why there was suspicion. Over here in the UK the police have stopped using analogue radios and have changed to a secure digital type called TETRA. That's why we couldn't see why a copper would need a radio of the type you mentioned.
Alas, it seems the radio will not do what you want without some kind of software trick.
Mind how you go!
'SOMEONE GET ME A SAW!'
Andy.
ChickenMadras
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by ChickenMadras »

> Im in the states.

This explains everything!
I sir, was wrong, and I now stand corrected :-)

As Andy said, in the UK the police use secure digital radios which cannot (easily) be bought over the counter. Hence our bafflement as to why you were asking such a question.

> Im not after you guys. We deal in real police work.

I don't doubt it.

The idea that OFCOM (our version of the FCC) would be surfing the net looking to catch 11m users is rather unlikely to say the least. However, fines can be very expensive for what anybody (our police included) would agree is a victimless "crime". Thus we will all exercise a little caution.

Anyway, back to your original question.... I'm sorry to say I cant help you. You may find software trikery out there on the web to do what you want, but with some of the non brand name stuff, this can be hard to find and documentation is often poor.

Good luck anyway.
Panteneman
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Panteneman »

Don't the US police force use between 30-40mhz VHF or something?

I have heard reports that during the peak sunspot cycles, US emergency service traffic can be heard in this contry, conditions and equipment permitting. The Weirwei radios operated between something like 140-170mhz for the VHF versions, and 400-470mhz for the UHF version.

I personally would have thought that the US police forces would have had decent radio's issued to them in the first place without officers resorting to their own gear. Also, I have reason to believe that US radio's use a digital format of their own called APCO25, and the Weirwei radio's don't come equipped with any form of speech inversion or encryption, or run digital modes.

Sorry, but I just find this thread origin very difficult to believe...
Speaking to people in foreign lands, with various configurations of copper wire in various strange shapes - my friends think I'm committing acts of witchcraft...
ChickenMadras
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by ChickenMadras »

> Don't the US police force use between 30-40mhz VHF or something?

And ~155MHz also http://www.bearcat1.com/montana.htm

> decent radio's issued to them in the first place without officers resorting to their own gear.

Some of the "Law Enforcement" departments out in the sticks can be funded by nothing more than a couple of small towns (unlike our Met). It's not unusual for the local police to buy there own guns for example.

I had a run in with a local 'Peace Officer' (who obviously had nothing better to do) back when I was 18 and hitchhiking through the rural US. I'm sure the f*ckwit in question wasn't representative of 'Peace Officers' as a whole though :-)

> Sorry, but I just find this thread origin very difficult to believe...

You arn't the only one :-)
Panteneman
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Panteneman »

ChickenMadras wrote:Some of the "Law Enforcement" departments out in the sticks can be funded by nothing more than a couple of small towns (unlike our Met). It's not unusual for the local police to buy there own guns for example
Well, in that case the dude's story sounds pretty feasible. I kind of treat this 60% suspicion, and 40% feel like a twunt for finding the post questionable. :?
Speaking to people in foreign lands, with various configurations of copper wire in various strange shapes - my friends think I'm committing acts of witchcraft...