49Mhz anyone?...

Licence free two-way radio services that now includes both FM and digital channels. Discuss models, modifications and other similar worldwide standards such as FRS and GMRS.
User avatar
radiosification
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 2449
Joined: 27 Dec 2010, 23:52
Location: North London
Contact:

Re: 49Mhz anyone?...

Post by radiosification » 29 May 2011, 21:45

(Congrats to whoever resurrected this thread - about a year and 12 days ? that a record ?? ;) )[/quote]
That would be me :D
If you're interested in digital voice, check out my YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/radiosification

User avatar
curny
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Posts: 685
Joined: 30 Dec 2009, 15:05
Location: Carmarthenshire

Re: 49Mhz anyone?...

Post by curny » 29 May 2011, 22:08

So, will one of these do the job??

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CLANSMAN-351-RADI ... 25642779e4

Curny
Curny

163-TM-336
163-CT-336
'UK Three Thirty Six' on midband AM

User avatar
wind in the antenna
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 1845
Joined: 29 Mar 2010, 17:41
Location: Brighton

Re: 49Mhz anyone?...

Post by wind in the antenna » 29 May 2011, 22:20

I've had a quick trot around on the IC-R7000 and there's at least one baby bug on all of the 5 lower channels but nothing on the upper 5. There is, however, a weak constant carrier on 49.930 which was in the USA a pre 1991 cordless phone assignment, and a constant whine on 49.960 MHz, again weak and varying slightly as if it might be DX. Are these two possibly parts of R1 ?

I'm a radio armature who made the switch to ariel none-bio
New Face in Hell

----------------
Tony in Brighton
26TM9480
26FB298
G7TXU
----------------

User avatar
wind in the antenna
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 1845
Joined: 29 Mar 2010, 17:41
Location: Brighton

Re: 49Mhz anyone?...

Post by wind in the antenna » 29 May 2011, 22:27

Yes, the PRC-351 covers this Curny. It's 4W but the PRC-352 is the same but with a 20W RF amp. It does only step at 25 kHz though so the only one which lines up with the 15 kHz raster is 49.950 MHz.
There is a choice of three antennas for it, trailing wire, tape measure and rubber. Then there's the ground spike antenna, 'Pineapple, EVHF antenna and the Landrover FFR and Ferret mobile antennas with a built in ATU.

I'm a radio armature who made the switch to ariel none-bio
New Face in Hell

----------------
Tony in Brighton
26TM9480
26FB298
G7TXU
----------------

troffasky
Super Member
Super Member
Posts: 330
Joined: 18 Jul 2010, 14:58

Re: 49Mhz anyone?...

Post by troffasky » 12 Jun 2011, 12:57

I swear those were in Back to the Future. The seller's missing a trick there!

User avatar
Excalibur
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 1160
Joined: 27 Mar 2011, 14:06
Location: England

Re: 49Mhz anyone?...

Post by Excalibur » 18 Jun 2011, 22:04

wind in the antenna wrote:Well I guess whatever the reason for the distribution of practically all SRD49 in the UK being confined to the bottom 5 channels, we have the 5 top ones to play around with knowing that we won't be causing anyone any bother. I like the idea of 459.950 being a calling channel as it's reachable on a radio with 25 kHz steps

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Image
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
What radio is that

User avatar
gmham
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 1829
Joined: 13 Aug 2009, 11:27
Call Sign: 108TM154

Re: 49Mhz anyone?...

Post by gmham » 18 Jun 2011, 22:25

Quote " You can use anything mode you like, SSB or CW if you wish.


Would be very, very surprised if this was the case mate. anyone remember the ctvr 49mhz w/talkies back in the 80`s ??
.... Icom IC7300 HF /6 mtr
Kenwood TR751e 2mtr ssb






108-TM-154 - John

brianford5mhz
Regular
Regular
Posts: 98
Joined: 17 Apr 2011, 12:09

Re: 49Mhz anyone?...

Post by brianford5mhz » 19 Jun 2011, 08:07

gmham wrote:Quote " You can use anything mode you like, SSB or CW if you wish.


Would be very, very surprised if this was the case mate. anyone remember the ctvr 49mhz w/talkies back in the 80`s ??
So what proof are you offering against OFCOM's own FAT2010 and IR2030/1 ?

Or are you making presumptions ?

User avatar
gmham
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 1829
Joined: 13 Aug 2009, 11:27
Call Sign: 108TM154

Re: 49Mhz anyone?...

Post by gmham » 21 Jun 2011, 17:48

brianford5mhz wrote:
gmham wrote:Quote " You can use anything mode you like, SSB or CW if you wish.


Would be very, very surprised if this was the case mate. anyone remember the ctvr 49mhz w/talkies back in the 80`s ??
So what proof are you offering against OFCOM's own FAT2010 and IR2030/1 ?

Or are you making presumptions ?
Yep just making assumptions mate !! would be astonished to learn that the use off ssb on 49mhz was legal even at these very low micro powers, buy yep do appreciatte like a lot off things within the licence conditions it can be read in different ways and mean different things to different people.

if I am wrong please do someone correct me thou as again would love to learn differently :?
.... Icom IC7300 HF /6 mtr
Kenwood TR751e 2mtr ssb






108-TM-154 - John

User avatar
310den
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Posts: 946
Joined: 21 Jun 2011, 18:52
Location: West Sussex
Contact:

Re: 49Mhz anyone?...

Post by 310den » 22 Jun 2011, 09:32

I have some of the 5 channel realistic ones, get 2 baby monitors around here on 2 channels!
I also have the VOX headset ones, remember them?

brianford5mhz
Regular
Regular
Posts: 98
Joined: 17 Apr 2011, 12:09

Re: 49Mhz anyone?...

Post by brianford5mhz » 28 Jun 2011, 20:37

>Yep just making assumptions mate !! would be astonished to learn that the use off ssb on 49mhz was legal >even at these very low micro powers, buy yep do appreciatte like a lot off things within the licence >conditions it can be read in different ways and mean different things to different people.

We're all guilty of it to be honest.

After years of living in the UK oppressive radio regime we know find that in the last 10 years
of radio libertarianism that it''s gone so far that we aint quite got used to it.

It really is a case of do what you want these days.

If you wanted to break the rules these days, you'd have a hard job because there's hardly any left ;-)

Radiohead01
Super Member
Super Member
Posts: 154
Joined: 09 May 2011, 16:19

Re: 49Mhz anyone?...

Post by Radiohead01 » 29 Jun 2011, 19:55

I was thinking about 49mhz just the other day.

I was wondering had anyone attempted DX during periods of sparadic E?
James
26TM475

User avatar
bigbloke
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 1397
Joined: 25 Aug 2008, 17:53
Location: Nominally Newport (South Wales) but potentially "anywhere"
Contact:

Re: 49Mhz anyone?...

Post by bigbloke » 30 Jun 2011, 10:03

I've definitely picked up foreign baby monitors and cordless phones during big E-openings.

But as soon as paths open up toward the east at the time, TV channel R1's video
signal would just buzz over everything.

Drifting slightly off topic, but still related to QRP ISM band DXing.....

At the other end of the spectrum (2.4Ghz) , I have also (before the band got so crowded and c**p like 4w video senders appeared on ebay) set up a laptop running Kismet (linux wifi tool) into a 1m mesh dish and left it pointing due east. Then used web tools like the old "consume" map to identify short bursts from WIFI access points observed during tropo openings. I have managed to positively identify network ID from as far as West London and Oxfordshire.

Can't do crazy stuff like that anymore now though , over 118 access points visible from my QTH when I last looked (quarter 3 last year), plus about 30+ analogue video sources from home and commerical CCTV systems , not to mention those blasted video senders :(

To think we used to have wifi working at 15 miles ++ !! :(

Regards

BB

User avatar
timb
Super Member
Super Member
Posts: 115
Joined: 01 Apr 2009, 15:42

Re: 49Mhz anyone?...

Post by timb » 30 Jun 2011, 14:46

wind in the antenna wrote:I've had a quick trot around on the IC-R7000 and there's at least one baby bug on all of the 5 lower channels but nothing on the upper 5. There is, however, a weak constant carrier on 49.930 which was in the USA a pre 1991 cordless phone assignment, and a constant whine on 49.960 MHz, again weak and varying slightly as if it might be DX. Are these two possibly parts of R1 ?
can i have 2nd prize for latest reply :mrgreen:

no, afaik .930 & .960 are the baby alarms that carry temperature info etc for panicky mums

.960 & .920 are pests here

i haven't come across any R1 tx's operating that high in the last few seasons, the really sickly txs that used to sprog everywhere (minsk and Lvov) have been replaced recently
best contact on PMR (0.5watts only): 21.5 miles (Congleton to Junction of A54/A556 near Kelsall 06/03/2011)
Best Contact on LPD (10mW only) 14.2 Miles (Congleton to The Roaches 18/04/2011)
Gear: Intek MT-5050 Unmodified

User avatar
timb
Super Member
Super Member
Posts: 115
Joined: 01 Apr 2009, 15:42

Re: 49Mhz anyone?...

Post by timb » 30 Jun 2011, 14:51

bigbloke wrote:I've definitely picked up foreign baby monitors and cordless phones during big E-openings.

But as soon as paths open up toward the east at the time, TV channel R1's video
signal would just buzz over everything.

Drifting slightly off topic, but still related to QRP ISM band DXing.....

At the other end of the spectrum (2.4Ghz) , I have also (before the band got so crowded and c**p like 4w video senders appeared on ebay) set up a laptop running Kismet (linux wifi tool) into a 1m mesh dish and left it pointing due east. Then used web tools like the old "consume" map to identify short bursts from WIFI access points observed during tropo openings. I have managed to positively identify network ID from as far as West London and Oxfordshire.

Can't do crazy stuff like that anymore now though , over 118 access points visible from my QTH when I last looked (quarter 3 last year), plus about 30+ analogue video sources from home and commerical CCTV systems , not to mention those blasted video senders :(

To think we used to have wifi working at 15 miles ++ !! :(

Regards

BB
that is the coolest dx thing i've read in ages! how much power would the access points be using?

if i had a hat i'd take it off to you
best contact on PMR (0.5watts only): 21.5 miles (Congleton to Junction of A54/A556 near Kelsall 06/03/2011)
Best Contact on LPD (10mW only) 14.2 Miles (Congleton to The Roaches 18/04/2011)
Gear: Intek MT-5050 Unmodified

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests