900mhz digital 2 way radios...what are these?

Licence free two-way radio services that now includes both FM and digital channels. Discuss models, modifications and other similar worldwide standards such as FRS and GMRS.
5thElement
Veteran
Veteran

900mhz digital 2 way radios...what are these?

Post by 5thElement »

Just having a look through ebay and came across these

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Motorola-DTR550-P ... dZViewItem

Motorola DTR550's, digital 2 way radios, apparently licence free, running 1 watt. Look at the price though! he said they cost him about ?500. Is it just me or is half a grand extremely expensive?? lol

Are they genuinely licence free aswell?

Just wondered as i've never seen them before.

p.s
I realise this isn't really pmr446 related, but wasn't sure where else to post it.
2E0XGA
Panteneman
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Panteneman »

I have checked an American site, and indeed, they do work on 900mhz. But, they are US spec. Probably cause havoc over here using them. As the US still run analogue mobile phones, and their digital format is GSM1900 (1.9ghz if i'm not mistaken) so they won't interfere. I think their dual band mobile phones over there run analogue and GSM1900 dependant upon model.

http://www.motorola.com/governmentanden ... i/id_2525i

The British ones work on 2.4ghz, which are on a similar band to Bluetooth and wireless 'net routers. Reminds me of the Dolphin set up that my work were comtemplating...

They were an interesting set up, as, like these they could text and two way. And, phone each other up like mobiles. But, their coverage was crap and our engineers moaned about them looking like bricks (as they were wanting brand new Nokia 3310's at the time. Around 2001). I have heard that Dolphin went t*ts up :(

Clicky the following linkage for the British versions of the above dude:

http://www.relcom.co.uk/digital1.htm

Bloody interesting stuff methinks....
Last edited by Panteneman on 20 Nov 2006, 20:44, edited 3 times in total.
Speaking to people in foreign lands, with various configurations of copper wire in various strange shapes - my friends think I'm committing acts of witchcraft...
5thElement
Veteran
Veteran

Post by 5thElement »

The DTR550 in the auction does seem to use 900mhz according to some other websites, the models on that link you posted are different model numbers, i guess it's the same technology though. Definately interesting, but at those prices, i can't see much take up! unless you have plenty cash to spend lol
2E0XGA
kc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by kc »

These are illegal to use in the UK & operate on telephone frequencies !!!!!!!!!
So not only are they not licence free but they are on a band that will get you jumped on very quickly.
kc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by kc »

Now being readvertised here !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Click here

He knows they are illegal to use, has said he cannot alter the wording, but is informing all bidders.
But he has now re listed them with no mention of illegality.
kc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by kc »

Response from originaldjtooth

Because I cannot find anywhere that it says it is ILLEGAL to use these radios. The only other info and advice I have found suggests that you should steer clear of the band to avoid causing interference.
Panteneman
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Panteneman »

It's one of those unique double standards, like selling multimode CBs. Or, selling GMRS/FRS US spec handhelds in the UK.

You are allowed to sell them, or recieve on them BUT you are not allowed to transmit using them in this country. NOT that it stops anyone WHATSOEVER.

BUT, woe betide the winning bidder! The powers that be will come down on him/her like a tonne of bricks seeing as it's on the whiskers edge of GSM900 mobile phone alllocations. Was it just me OR did he state in the 1st instance of this bid that he got busted by customs with them?
Speaking to people in foreign lands, with various configurations of copper wire in various strange shapes - my friends think I'm committing acts of witchcraft...
kc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by kc »

I personally don't think thats it's like selling an SSB CB, but I do know what you are saying. My rational where CB's are concerned is simply that 99.99999% of those wanting to buy a SSB CB knows what the law is & are buying it because of what it can do & fully understanding that it's illegal to operate them.
The same with guys who are not licenced hams who buy amateur equipment to TX on, they do so knowingly & that makes a big difference.
With this equipment he is knowingly trying to sell the equipment to those who do not know.He even compares them to PMR 446 in the advert.
These radios only operate on a frequency where they cannot be licenced to be used. Also looking at his feed back he has brought lots of stuff for a few pence to increase his feedback score, so a real case of buyer beware especially as he only wants cash !!!!!!
Transmission1
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM001

Post by Transmission1 »

Yes, this guy (originaldjtooth) on Ebay looks like a very dodgy character. The last few items of his feedback were obviously carried out by him and a friend as the auctions close just one minute after they started. If anyone is reading this thread and fancies those radios I would think twice. Not only are they probably illegal, the seller probably doesn't even have or own them! :)
Simon, 26TM001 - East Yorkshire, UK
Founder of Transmission1 & Tango Mike 26 Division Co-ordinator
http://www.tangomike.net/
Follow me on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@transmission1
Guzzy
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM002

Post by Guzzy »

You are allowed to sell them, or recieve on them BUT you are not allowed to transmit using them in this country. NOT that it stops anyone WHATSOEVER.
Not the case. You are only allowed to receive signals that you are licensed to receive. Either by actual individual government licence or product certification. Hence the illegality of listening to a PMR446 transmission on a scanner, but it's fine to listen to any PMR446 radio transmission on any PMR446 radio...

These things are as dodgy as f&@k, stay well clear!
5thElement
Veteran
Veteran

Post by 5thElement »

I emailed the guy and told him they were illegal in the UK and thats why you cant buy them here. I expected him to defend himself but instead all i got for a reply was "Thanks" lol
2E0XGA
uklawman
Regular
Regular

Post by uklawman »

The sad fact is that there are always people more than willing to buy dodgy sounding items that sound too good to be true. The sellers know its ok to sell these items as its the buyers who will come really come unstuck if they choose to use their new found bargains.

The whole auction is very well put together, comes across like an *honest* *cough* spiv trying to do a fast deal as a favour.. Im sure it will result in a sale soon enough.
TimBucknall

Post by TimBucknall »

to drift off topic slightly i saw someone flogging aussie uhf cb units over here on ebay, i bet interfering with TV is one way to get attention!

has anyone ever heard the aussie uhf units used over here?
maybe somewhere like earls courts with a large aussie population?