For those who missed the news.

Licence free two-way radio services that now includes both FM and digital channels. Discuss models, modifications and other similar worldwide standards such as FRS and GMRS.
kc
Top Poster
Top Poster

For those who missed the news.

Post by kc » 09 Oct 2006, 16:19

Licence free digital PMR has arrived.

Transmission 1 news

Guzzy
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM002

RE: For those who missed the news.

Post by Guzzy » 09 Oct 2006, 16:44

... and there was much rejoicing. Yay! :roll:

By the way, that particular radio (in the link) isn't a digital PMR446. It's a digital 2.4GHz radio that uses some of the same frequencies used by WiFi and other wireless devices.

Nice piece of kit, but not really designed for general 'walkie talkie' use, when you consider the price is around ?300 EACH!

Icom have released some digital PMR446 radios, still bloody expensive though!
If you see a spam (or abusive) post, don't 'reply' to it, don't 'quote' it, don't start a new thread discussing it.
Report it using the Image ('Report this post') button, inside the actual spam post.

Andrew
Banned
Banned

Post by Andrew » 09 Oct 2006, 17:40

When I was Stateside in January, digital pmr's were available in Wal-Mart for about $70 (?120) a pair, and said to have a range of 5 miles. I was tempted to buy a pair, but was a bit restricted financially. I wasn't sure if they would be compatible over here.

I took to the hills in Malibu / Santa Monica (I was on the outside location MASH was filmed, Malibu Creek State Park) and people were using them to keep in contact. They seemed to work rather well.

If you check out the Wal-Mart website, it's possible they will be advertised on there.
Banned Account

Guzzy
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Guzzy » 09 Oct 2006, 18:47

It will be interesting to see how long it takes for the manufacturers to get into high gear over here.

Was that $120 (or ?70)?
If you see a spam (or abusive) post, don't 'reply' to it, don't 'quote' it, don't start a new thread discussing it.
Report it using the Image ('Report this post') button, inside the actual spam post.

Andrew
Banned
Banned

Post by Andrew » 12 Oct 2006, 09:44

Sorry, got that slightly back to front. They were approximately $70, plus 7% sales tax which is added on at the till in almost every shop, which equates to about ?45 - ?50.
Banned Account

Guzzy
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Guzzy » 12 Oct 2006, 10:03

I had a look on the Walmart site and can only find FRS/GMRS radios listed.

Can you remember what they were called or who manufactured them?

Transmission1
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM001

Post by Transmission1 » 12 Oct 2006, 10:38

Yeah, the radio KC's article is about is the Motorola 2.4 GHz type of licence free Digital PMR radio. It's a proprietory system designed by Motorola. I have a very large PDF (140 pages!) document that was "leaked" from a main Motorola dealership several months ago regarding the DTR system. I could have posted it on the site but I didn't want to get the guy into trouble who emailed it to me. It's certainly an interesting system but don't expect incredible ranges with it. The main benefits are to business users with the text messaging features etc.

Having spoke to the guy who supplied the information he told me that although they work on 2.4 GHz they do not recieve any interference or suffer performance losses from Wireless 802.11 networks/LAN's etc because they use Frequency Hopping Spread Spectrum (FHSS). Indeed they were demonstrated at this years CeBIT with very good results (amongst more than 11 WLANS).

DX potential and use as another CB radio system? Nil, because they only work in closed user groups known in advance. It has to be pointed out that they are NOT Digital PMR-446 radios. These are on the way pending Ofcom's acceptance of the Euro standard. Currently Digital PMR-446 is not legal in the UK.

See: http://www.ofcom.org.uk/radiocomms/isu/ ... r446is.pdf

Anyone know the date when we can legally purchase and use DPMR-446 systems?
Simon, 26TM001 - East Yorkshire, UK
Founder of Transmission1 & Tango Mike 26 Division Co-ordinator
http://www.tangomike.net/

Guzzy
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Guzzy » 12 Oct 2006, 14:46

Hi Simon,

I don't think that's the one Andrew is referring to, as the Motorola 2.4GHz digital system costs ?269 + vat EACH! :shock:

Unless you can by them from Walmart in America for ?45? :?

Jon

Transmission1
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM001

Post by Transmission1 » 12 Oct 2006, 15:20

I doubt it very much... :-k Yep, the Motorola system is firmly aimed at business users with prices like those. I've been offered the chance to play with some of these DTR radios - will have to see if the offer still stands to grab a couple so I can write a review when time allows.
Simon, 26TM001 - East Yorkshire, UK
Founder of Transmission1 & Tango Mike 26 Division Co-ordinator
http://www.tangomike.net/