wire for random/long antenna

Do you enjoy making your own equipment or antennas? Discuss construction and design in here.
nordhavn
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

wire for random/long antenna

Post by nordhavn »

I've got a 9:1 balun on the way and was hoping someone could put me on the right path . I need to make a stealth end fed antenna that will be mounted on the fascia board or maybe in the plastic guttering . I've been thinking about good quality speaker wire or maybe 1.5 mm single core cable like the one that goes into conduit (next door is a sparky) would the insulation be a bit much ? Any recommendations on type / diameter would be much appreciated.
Forgot to add it will be between 30& 40 m depending on how it will be routed .
Regards
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Re: wire for random/long antenna

Post by paulears »

1.5mm2 single conductor is fine and the insulation is not an issue. It just fractures if it's unsupported for any length and moves - as in the wind. Put into place wit clips or ties it's pretty long lasting. When you say 'in' the plastic guttering, are you talking about the vertical outlets or actually sitting in the trough at the top - because mine has to be cleared out twice/three times a year because it's full of standing water and vegetation - which will wreck it's RF performance. An old friend had a very high washing line from two flagpoles, and the line was actually PVC covered steel wire rope that did damn well as a long wire, and with the washing on it, which didn't seem to have much impact at all - it was a fine radiator! Wife happy too.
nordhavn
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Re: wire for random/long antenna

Post by nordhavn »

YES I was thinking about just laying in the plastic guttering but as you say it would build up with vegetation . I'll probably clip or staple it to the fascia board around the back , side and front of the house .
Regards