Dual PTT wiring (1 headset, 2PTT Buttons, 2 Radios)

Do you enjoy making your own equipment or antennas? Discuss construction and design in here.
Combat_Monkey
Registered New User
Registered New User

Dual PTT wiring (1 headset, 2PTT Buttons, 2 Radios)

Post by Combat_Monkey »

Hello,

I've spent plenty of time googling to see if I can find the answer myself but have been unsuccessful.

I am looking to create a Dual PTT box so that I can use a single speaker and microphone (in the headset) to control two PTT switches to control radio 1 and Radio 2. The two radios that will be used will both be kenwood 2-pin plug type radios.

I am very much a beginner at all this but I am keen to learn and research to complete this little project. I have tinkered a little with the PTT wires and have managed to wire up a single PTT by using this wiring diagram and wiring an "In-Line PTT": Image

I then attempted for the dual PTT set up to simply make a Y connector so there was 2 each wire coming from the headset and going to PTT1 and PTT2. This allowed me to receive audio from both radios into the headset; but transmitting created interference and also when PTT1 was closed, PTT2 would also close transmitting on both radios.

From this I have gathered that I need some way of separating the two PTT circuits, but have no idea how I would go about this.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated
Tigersaw
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: GW6RRL

Re: Dual PTT wiring (1 headset, 2PTT Buttons, 2 Radios)

Post by Tigersaw »

I think you are saying you want to connect the mic and speaker connections in parallel to both radio simultaneously so hear the audio from both, but be able to key either one at a time?
Firstly you need to use a DPDT switch on the keyline, thats a switch that has a centre off, up and down, so up would be radio #1, down would be radio #2. something like http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-Pcs-ON-OFF- ... SwzaJX8Djt
The other issue though would be that when transmitting from one radio, the audio from the other is still live, now if this becomes a problem with distorted audio feedback then you need to additionally have mute wiring, and it gets more complicated.
Combat_Monkey
Registered New User
Registered New User

Post by Combat_Monkey »

Hello. Thank you for your reply. I had considered the use of a spring loaded toggle switch so that the mic and ptt would be active on radio 1 always, and when I go to broadcast on radio 2 I would move the toggle switch to the other position and then press the ptt button.

No need to worry about the two audio feeds at the same time as the radios are accessible so if needed can easily turn the volume down or u plug if needed.

Is there any way to have this set up without the need of a toggle switch? In googling I have found military ptts which have what I'm looking to achieve but at a significant cost and far above the level of durability I'd be needing.
Tigersaw
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: GW6RRL

Post by Tigersaw »

You could just have two small PTT switches, one for each radio
mattltm
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by mattltm »

How about a single PTT switch that you could switch between radios?

I built a simple box that has a 3 way, 4 pole rotary switch that switches a single PTT (I use a foot switch) and microphone (In my case, a boom mike with a preamp and some audio processing) between 3 different radios. I also added some 1:1 audio transformers and 3 variable pots to control the level of the microphone into each radio. The PTT input is a 6.5mm Mono jack, the Mic input is a 6.5mm Mono jack and the connections out to each radio are 4 pin sockets so you can make up custom connection leads for each radio you have.

Easy to build with most parts from your local Maplins (apart from the 1:1 transformers but you may be able to leave them out).

"Spooky action at a distance."