frequency counter

Do you enjoy making your own equipment or antennas? Discuss construction and design in here.
dt307
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 163dt307

frequency counter

Post by dt307 »

Got a china plj-8led counter
Sunday morning project
Maplin box
Bnc socket
Power switch
Pp3 cable
Made up a probe lead as well
Turned out great
WP_20160313_13_28_15_Pro.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
163dt307-chris

“I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots.”
― Albert Einstein
ROTEL240

Re: frequency counter

Post by ROTEL240 »

Will this work on ssb or does it need a constant carrier?
GeeFull
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by GeeFull »

Reading its specs on one of the E-Bay sites offering it:
As it stands as a simple RF sampling counter it would require a constant carrier.
Useful as stand alone simple bit of RF sniffing, frequency displaying, test equipment.
It "appears" to possibly have the option for an IF offset to be programmed?, although its not worded that clear in the advert so check with seller first!
Maybe the OP who's built one up can confirm if it does have IF "offset" facility?
By using that IF offset mode, if indeed its available, and coupling to the correct point in say a CB transceivers frequency derived mixing stages, it could be used to display the frequency the radio channel is set at, like many of the made for the job counters that are around.
In that case, wired to the correct RF sampling point, it will display the radios set channel frequency.
Either way it doesn't seem a bad little bit of kit for the money!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DIY-blue-PLJ-8L ... 2041571187

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DIY-red-PLJ-8LE ... =undefined

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DIY-green-PLJ-8 ... =undefined
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

I've got one that I also shoved in a box with a BNC and a PSU. Only cost about £3 on the slow boat from China...

If there is a way to set an offset, it wasn't obvious - although I think there was an ICSP header on the board so hacking the uC might be a possibility.
dt307
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 163dt307

Post by dt307 »

As been said it is ok for a simple counter
For setting the offsets on ssb radios ie 16.420 ect ect when connected to the correct test points
Or you can loosely couple to the tx strip and read am,fm directly.
It does have an if offset plus or minus
So you could say use it for a 148/360 ect
BUT it has one offset and its on or off by menu
For most rigs you would need the counter to the correct offset for am then have two more switched in for the usb lsb so the counter reads right on all modes
This counter don't support that like the one I installed in the Madison or the add on ss3900 ones
Just for checking frequency if offsets ect its great
163dt307-chris

“I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots.”
― Albert Einstein