Few projects in the pipeline

Do you enjoy making your own equipment or antennas? Discuss construction and design in here.
Buick Mackane

Few projects in the pipeline

Post by Buick Mackane »

Been bitten by the homebrewing bug again, So decided to knock up a DC Receiver, But whilst i'm waiting for the parts to come from long dong iv'e decided to convert an old tarran CB PSU i have laid about, Plan is to replace the internal regulator with an LM338. That will give me a nice adjustable voltage from about 1.2 volt up to around 21 volts, Depending on the spec of the transformer which ive not checked yet. Also ordered up one of these badboys for it too.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-Green-0- ... Swo6lWO0km

Handy to have a variable linear supply for powering projects etc, Switch modes are to noisey.

Gives me something to do and Keeps me from annoying admiral & cracking jokes that nobody laughs at , Will report back :)
I Am the great cornholio are you threatening me ?
Buick Mackane

Re: Few projects in the pipeline

Post by Buick Mackane »

Wee update on the power supply conversion, Heatsink has been fitted on the rear, Had to move the terminal posts to the front to accommodate it. But it makes more sense having them on the front. And as you can see from the pics the volt meter has been fitted too as well as the variable voltage control , Well just resting in place till i get round to securing it. Its shaping up nicely, Heatsink cost me £3 bucks on the bay and included a TO3 Fitting kit :thumbup: Volt meter £2 quid :thumbup: These power supplies aint the best from standard, No heatsink on the rectifier, Or pass transistor, Iv'e mounted the rectifier on the regulator heatsink. The only original parts left in it are obviously the transformer and smoothing cap + rectifier. This 80's relic is getting its ass dragged into the 21st century. And you thought i was just the forum comedian :lol: But iv'e been known to plug a soldering iron in now & again, All that remains is to wire it up. Will report back.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

Looking good. I personally don;t like working with Mains power, so I applaud anyone that does. 8)
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

MrWeetabix wrote:Looking good. I personally don;t like working with Mains power, so I applaud anyone that does. 8)
Cheers craig, I dont mind a bit of mains voltage work,But if i don't post back you'll know its gone tragically wrong :shock: It'll look a lot better when i get rid of the 30 year old tatty sticker and replace it with some steel effect fablon :thumbup:
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin

Post by MrWeetabix »

Well lets hope that you do remain on the boards and firmly in the 'not dead' camp!

You just need to dremmel the life out of them (with Purple gloves on) and bang em on eBay as someone else's handy work now, Bahamas for Xmas ;-)
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

MrWeetabix wrote:Well lets hope that you do remain on the boards and firmly in the 'not dead' camp!

You just need to dremmel the life out of them (with Purple gloves on) and bang em on eBay as someone else's handy work now, Bahamas for Xmas ;-)
Yeah, The silent key avatar can wait another 30 years :lol: I Could stick it on the bay as a jentec power supply ;)
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin

Post by MrWeetabix »

CobSocks Jentec Genuine Nugent-boarded PSU **SUPER RARE**, starting bid £150 8)

Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

Stick a frequency counter socket on the back and double the price.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

Admiral wrote:Stick a frequency counter socket on the back and double the price.
1000 Watts socket would be better, Might hook the terminals up to the mains and flog it to a mug for £100 quid, Following week whats left of his jentec would be on the bay for 99p :thumbup:
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

Almost done :thumbup:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

Looking good, don't plug it in just yet.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

Admiral wrote:Looking good, don't plug it in just yet.
I wont, Weety has ran out of silent key avatars :o
sureshot
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM413

Post by sureshot »

Really good voltage regulator the LM338K it also comes in a T0220 package the LM338T but the K in its T03 package is more hardy. Nice way to bring an old linear PSU back to life.
CB call. Shipwreck.
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

Heres where iv'e got so far, Yeah i know its still an empty case, But it looks a bit better than before.