CTCSS tone board & converted Icom 1050

Do you enjoy making your own equipment or antennas? Discuss construction and design in here.
StormShadow
Top Poster
Top Poster

CTCSS tone board & converted Icom 1050

Post by StormShadow »

I have an Icom 1050 working on 10 meters with the 10 KHz switch for repeaters but has no CTCSS. I have a couple of Tait T500 CTCSS tone boards that I took out some old Tait sets that were converted to 4 meters so there was no need to have them installed on those radio's. Well I don't know much about these tone boards but I'd like to know more about them I'm guessing it will be straight forward soldering one inside the Icom 1050 however it would also be nice if I could maybe modify the tone board so that I can change tones with either some switches or possibly something like a variable resistor to change tones. This Icom would be a nice little set for getting into the NY repeater.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cjay
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: cjay

Re: CTCSS tone board & converted Icom 1050

Post by cjay »

Can't read all the chip numbers on that, any chance you can post a list?
StormShadow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by StormShadow »

Sure...
The chip numbers are :
LM324N W992B9422
LM324N W992B9422
MC14066BCP FNV9440
M9412DA LM339N

On the other tone board it has:
013AB LM324N
013AB LM324N
MC14066BCP XXEJ9038
LM339N FGY5527 9022VI
wardster
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: M6

Post by wardster »

Ta - daa :)

Hope this link helps >>> http://davidmpye.co.uk/?q=node/13
Back on HF due to change of location and more filters on the baby monitor!
cjay
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: cjay

Post by cjay »

Ooh nice link. Looks like it's only going to make one tone though, so it won't be selectable unless you work out a switching arrangement around a bunch of multiturn presets.

Might be easier to look for a board from another PMR that uses one of the CML FX chips (I've seen them other Tait radios though I'm pretty sure it was in some T500s I bought)
wardster
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: M6

Post by wardster »

I have a few CTCSS boards myself - pulled from old Zycomm VHF handhelds. Nice miniature units, built by COM-SPEC of USA.
http://www.com-spec.com/insheet/ts32skm.pdf

I have fitted them to a few FT-290's previously, due to their small size.
They use a dip-switch arrangement for the tone selections - I can't quite see how the rotary switch on the TAIT board could have 32 positions unless its some form of unique internal matrix switch unit - it must be a rotary pot!

StormShadow - if you get stuck, then I'll tell you what. Send me a Self addressed jiffy bag with a fiver in it and I'll pop one in the post to you.

:D
Back on HF due to change of location and more filters on the baby monitor!
Rob Johnson
Regular
Regular

Post by Rob Johnson »

Hello,
I can confirm that the Tait CTCSS board shown in the photograph in the link has two multi-turn potentiometers to set the tones for each channel. Only good for one tone on each channel. There is a later version of the board. If you want encode/decode you could really do with any CTCSS board with an FX365 IC on it. There are possibly some still left on Northampton Comms site. FYI, I have no-connection with them.

Best wishes,
Rob.
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

If you only want to open one repeater then a single tone unit will be fine.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
StormShadow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by StormShadow »

Having one CTCSS tone for one channel would be ok I'd be happy with that, I've got 2 of these boards anyhow so I could install it and set the tone for the NY repeater and with the spare one I have I'm going to study it a bit more maybe transferring the components to a blank board and rebuilding it with some dip switches or adding some toggle switches instead to act as dip switches.
StormShadow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by StormShadow »

I'm just gonna buy a new CTCSS tone board from the bay there really cheap so it seems hardly worth it modifying the Tait CTCSS tone board at least then I can have switchable tones.