USB Spectrum Analyser / Signal Generator

Do you enjoy making your own equipment or antennas? Discuss construction and design in here.
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

USB Spectrum Analyser / Signal Generator

Post by kr0ne »

Not home brew equipment, but tools for home brewing so stikcing this here as not sure where else to put it...

Has anyone tried one of these, or seen any reviews anywhere?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/new-35M-4-4G- ... xy7nNTVOGh
theEarwigger
Call Sign: M0RZF

Re: USB Spectrum Analyser / Signal Generator

Post by theEarwigger »

Its a "dongle" style SDR receiver labelled as an analyser.

No mention of software you would drive it with on the eBay page?
Mattylad
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: RDX64

Post by Mattylad »

At 35M-4.4GHz IMO it's not much use for HF or CB.

Also
9.Recommended tracking source (purchased separately):
??
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

I wish my ten quid SDR had this:

5.Frequency Accuracy (after calibration): +-1k @ 1GHz

Seems a bit far fetched.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
cjay
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: cjay

Post by cjay »

theEarwigger wrote:Its a "dongle" style SDR receiver labelled as an analyser.

No mention of software you would drive it with on the eBay page?
Umm, you sure about that? I think it's actually a copy of the reference/evaluation boards for one of the TI PLL chips with integrated VCO.

Quite useful if you need a very wide band signal source, the kind you'd use for a simple spectrum analyser in fact.
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

My first thought was it was RTL2832 based as well, there are several bits of "spectrum analyser" software available for these now (a few making use of the rtl_power tool) and the potential is there to make something that is reasonably accurate as any inconsistencies can be taken out when you calibrate for yor leads etc.

The 4.4GHz upper frequency limit and the built in signal source covering the same frequency range makes me think this is possibly something a little different though...

The same sellers seem to also be punting ADF4351 based signal sources covering the same range for around £45, so I guess at the least there is something like this in the box.

I thought I read in one listing that the sweep was up to 10MHz as well, which is way larger than the 3MHz max you could expect with an RTL2832 based device. I can't find that listing now though and am beginning to think that I either imagined that or got mixed up with a listing for a different device.
Mattylad wrote:At 35M-4.4GHz IMO it's not much use for HF or CB.
LOL, well, no... :D I did wonder what they meant by the "tracking source" as well though. There are a load of these devices listed, some 35M-4.4G and some 138M-4.4G, all of them seem to include this line in the description and most say that the "tracking source" is available from their eBay shop. I've searched a couple of sellers' shops though and am still none the wiser unfortunately.
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

cjay wrote: I think it's actually a copy of the reference/evaluation boards for one of the TI PLL chips with integrated VCO.
Aha! Now we might be getting somewhere... :) Will have a hunt around and see if I can find anything that looks a close fit.

TBH, I'm tempted to take a punt but I hate paying for anything blind... not had any luck finding any reviews or descriptions beyond the seller's bumf so far.
cjay
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: cjay

Post by cjay »

kr0ne wrote:
cjay wrote: I think it's actually a copy of the reference/evaluation boards for one of the TI PLL chips with integrated VCO.
Aha! Now we might be getting somewhere... :) Will have a hunt around and see if I can find anything that looks a close fit.

TBH, I'm tempted to take a punt but I hate paying for anything blind... not had any luck finding any reviews or descriptions beyond the seller's bumf so far.
There's one or two references to using it on the web and it apparently comes with a CD that allows you to control it from a Windows PC

http://www.y1pwe.co.uk/RAProgs/USB%20138M.pdf
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

Fantastic! Thanks... when I was searching last night I was looking for the 35M-4.4G one and that file did not come up!

Makes things a LOT clearer. :)

I guess these are the source they refer to in the listings for the 35M-4.4G versions: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/35-M-4-4-GHz- ... SwFnFWDvOh

The 138M-4.4G versions seem to be available bundled with one of these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SMA-noise-sou ... SweW5VWihg

Looks like the one pictured in that doc as well. Was actually a little surprised to see the doc was written in 2014 as I hadn't come accross these things before.
onix
Registered New User
Registered New User

Post by onix »

Can any users of this device post of their experience? Perhaps, even some screenshots of the spectrum analyzer and software in action?
onix
Registered New User
Registered New User

Post by onix »

Can an acquirer of this unit please post of their experience, and possibly provide screen shots the spectrum analyzer in action? Thanks!
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

I haven't got around to ordering one myself yet as most of my workshop is still packed up after a house move, but I do plan to at some point...

Unless, of course, something more interesting has popped up on ebay by the time I actually get around to it.