Server converted power supplys.

Do you enjoy making your own equipment or antennas? Discuss construction and design in here.
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: GM0BRJ

Re: Server converted power supplys.

Post by Auldgeek »

Buick Mackane wrote:
kilimax wrote: the best bit by far was the enjoyment I got from building it. :D
Thats what its all about drew, Fancy building me one ? That way you'll have the enjoyment of building it all over again :mrgreen:
You don't need to go to the trouble of fitting meters and other bits & bobs. Get it slapped in a case. Go on, your itching to have a go! ;)
Auldgeek - Drew

Winner of IBTL Autumn 23 Edition
I've changed radios so many times, I've forgotten what I have :think:
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

kilimax wrote:
Buick Mackane wrote:
kilimax wrote: the best bit by far was the enjoyment I got from building it. :D
Thats what its all about drew, Fancy building me one ? That way you'll have the enjoyment of building it all over again :mrgreen:
You don't need to go to the trouble of fitting meters and other bits & bobs. Get it slapped in a case. Go on, your itching to have a go! ;)
Aye was looking on ebay at server supplies last night but couldn't find one cheap enough, I already have enough projects on the go that i've not even started yet, So this will be one for another time i think
I Am the great cornholio are you threatening me ?
sureshot
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM413

Post by sureshot »

Really like the two works on the previous page, very nice implementation indeed. Might try this in the near future. :geek:
CB call. Shipwreck.
sureshot
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sureshot »

Nothing new to post as yet, but something that might be useful to someone.
Having a few of the Xbox 360 grey bricks, a few had been causing interference. Tonight I think I've found the source of it.

I had used 5.5mm chassis dc type connectors in the cable grommet after it was drilled out. I know there far from ideal for high current uses. Anyway I thought I'd try and get a set of binding posts on the front, Just really as it's better for the power being drawn from the unit.

It's tight getting them in there, but is doable. Since having it powered back up on a radio (small Midland with fairy lights) I've lost 2S points of noise. Thinking about this... It must have been a poor electrical connection in the chassis mount barrel connector. There a very hardy power supply if your needs are not much over 12 Amps. I think I've got about 8 or more of these things. Bought off FB for sale groups some years ago now.

So in summary, if you've used a chassis barrel connector, it might be worth 're thinking that idea. Anyway thought it worth a mention. Picture shows the dodgy dc chassis socket.
Anyone still playing with smps / server power supplys, please share your findings and trials with them. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CB call. Shipwreck.
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

Just snapped up a del poweredge 2850 for a tenner on the bay, Can anybody confirm if the following diagram is correct ?

sureshot
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sureshot »

Buick Mackane wrote: 20 Jan 2018, 16:57 Just snapped up a del poweredge 2850 for a tenner on the bay, Can anybody confirm if the following diagram is correct ?

Yes mate it is for that model. with out the yellow fan mod, its very loud fan full tilt. Good price for that, bargain.
:)
CB call. Shipwreck.
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

sureshot wrote: 22 Jan 2018, 00:23
Yes mate it is for that model. with out the yellow fan mod, its very loud fan full tilt. Good price for that, bargain.
Cheers dave, Been doing a bit of investigating online (RC Forums) and think i have all the info i need to get the badboy powered up and pressed into service

I think the price of them has risen a bit since the RC Mob latched on to them, But for a tenner can't go wrong :thumbup:
sec1223
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by sec1223 »

good supply them.. iv done a few.
cant stand IGNORANT b******ds
sureshot
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sureshot »

Buick Mackane wrote: 22 Jan 2018, 00:36
sureshot wrote: 22 Jan 2018, 00:23
Cheers dave, Been doing a bit of investigating online (RC Forums) and think i have all the info i need to get the badboy powered up and pressed into service

I think the price of them has risen a bit since the RC Mob latched on to them, But for a tenner can't go wrong :thumbup:
Good luck with it pal, the cryto miners have shoved the price of them up sadly. The RC guys didn't make a dent in sellers getting wise to there use. On the other hand every man and his dog knows crypto miner wont them for there graphics cards.

The HP DPS 1200 and 750 watt units where as little as a tenner a couple of years back. But almost all of them can be pressed into service for mining. But it sure doesn't hurt to browse ebay or other places now and again, not everyone knows much about mining crypto. But the wide spread talk and coverage of the crypto is certainly what's put prices up. I've seen HP DPS 1200 up for over 80 quid, madness.
Good luck with it pal. :)
CB call. Shipwreck.
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

sureshot wrote: 22 Jan 2018, 09:08 , not everyone knows much about mining crypto.
I Don't, Sounds like something from red dwarf :lol:

Its surprising no one has been knocking up PSU's from these and making a killing on them, I reckon theres a good profit on these, All the stuff needed is available cheap from long dong, Like V/A Meters, Binding posts, Project boxes etc, Consider the price of commercial high current supplies.
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: GM0BRJ

Post by Auldgeek »

I forgot about that crypto mining thingy. I just thought it was the RC mob looking to toast their batteries.

I've already got a 1200w HP in daily service but I need to do the mod to bring the voltage up to 13.5volts. I also bought a 700w version on the bay over the weekend.

I didn't opt for the Dell due to the voltage being at or around 12volts with no load. I know this can be tweaked up to about 12.5volts. My problem is my big RM amplifier is losing about 75watts when connected at 12.4volts. At 13.5volts, it delivers full output. The Dell would struggle in this respect.

Good power supply though and a bargain for the auld Buick!
Auldgeek - Drew

Winner of IBTL Autumn 23 Edition
I've changed radios so many times, I've forgotten what I have :think:
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

Interesting blog on the conversion of a dell 2850 700 watt PSU

http://quan-diy.com/projects/benchps/hicurr.htm

And another

http://www.w3pga.org/Power%20Supplys/DE ... ersion.pdf

According to the above article theres two models of the 2850, 700 watt supply

7000814-0000 / No internal voltage adjustments, But can be jumpered to give 12.5 volts

NPS-700AB/ Voltage can be adjusted internally and also jumpered to give a max output of 13.5 volts

Guess which one the ding dong has just bought {bnghd}
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

Just a quick update,

Out the box mine is putting out 11.9 volts. By jumping A2 To the main output positive terminal i'm able to increase output to 12.52 volts, As i said above its best to go for the model which has an internal voltage adjustment pot which brings voltage up into the 13 volt range,
sonoma
Regular
Regular

Post by sonoma »

I have one that I have used now for about 1 year and it adjusted to 13.8 volts with no problem and holds 30 amps out on every test I have tried with it. got it for 25.00 shipped when I bought it. looks like the price is creaping up since I bought mine.
sec1223
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by sec1223 »

sonoma wrote: 23 Jan 2018, 14:52 I have one that I have used now for about 1 year and it adjusted to 13.8 volts with no problem and holds 30 amps out on every test I have tried with it. got it for 25.00 shipped when I bought it. looks like the price is creaping up since I bought mine.
what model?
cant stand IGNORANT b******ds