Another project

Do you enjoy making your own equipment or antennas? Discuss construction and design in here.
hdjmings1
Call Sign: M3YCM

Another project

Post by hdjmings1 »

Hello everyone,

I was on he a while ago and made a 12v psu from a pc power supply well im now on it again only i want to make one in a big case, im going to put it in an old 2u pc case i have and this time im going to make 2 of them to make 24v like this http://hildstrom.com/projects/atxbenchp ... index.html

Only i want 13.8v so how could i make this veriable ?
26-TM-1982
M3YCM

President Lincoln
RM KL400
siro HI-POWER 4000

“Those most hopelessly enslaved are those who falsely believe they are free” Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
hdjmings1

Re: Another project

Post by hdjmings1 »

Or could i put in a voltage regulator?
26-TM-1982
M3YCM

President Lincoln
RM KL400
siro HI-POWER 4000

“Those most hopelessly enslaved are those who falsely believe they are free” Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
cjay
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: cjay

Post by cjay »

hdjmings1 wrote:Or could i put in a voltage regulator?
It'd be better to work out how to mod the PSU to bring the 12V rail up to 13.8V than waste all that energy as heat (unless you were going to use a switching regulator)
hdjmings1

Post by hdjmings1 »

cjay wrote:
It'd be better to work out how to mod the PSU to bring the 12V rail up to 13.8V than waste all that energy as heat (unless you were going to use a switching regulator)

Well ive just found a youtube clip https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mK_rIs7uFlo But didnt know if i had the knolage to do that
26-TM-1982
M3YCM

President Lincoln
RM KL400
siro HI-POWER 4000

hdjmings1

Post by hdjmings1 »

cjay wrote:

Well ive just found a youtube clip https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mK_rIs7uFlo But didnt know if i had the knolage to do that
26-TM-1982
M3YCM

President Lincoln
RM KL400
siro HI-POWER 4000

kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

hdjmings1 wrote:Well ive just found a youtube clip https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mK_rIs7uFlo But didnt know if i had the knolage to do that
OK, I'll be the first to say: If you are unsure whether you have the knowledge or experience to modify a mains PSU then DON'T FREAKING DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!! :o

Seriously, I don't mean to discourage you from experimenting and learning about electronics but if you have to ask the above then you really shouldn't be messing around with the insides of a mains powered switch mode PSU. Even if you manage not to kill yourself or your gear, spare a thought anyone else who may unwittingly fire it up one day when you are not around...
hdjmings1

Post by hdjmings1 »

kr0ne wrote:
hdjmings1 wrote:Well ive just found a youtube clip https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mK_rIs7uFlo But didnt know if i had the knolage to do that
OK, I'll be the first to say: If you are unsure whether you have the knowledge or experience to modify a mains PSU then DON'T FREAKING DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!! :o

Seriously, I don't mean to discourage you from experimenting and learning about electronics but if you have to ask the above then you really shouldn't be messing around with the insides of a mains powered switch mode PSU. Even if you manage not to kill yourself or your gear, spare a thought anyone else who may unwittingly fire it up one day when you are not around...

I have a standered knolage of electronics but not lots like some on here which is why i asked some help
26-TM-1982
M3YCM

President Lincoln
RM KL400
siro HI-POWER 4000

cjay
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: cjay

Post by cjay »

hdjmings1 wrote:
kr0ne wrote:

I have a standered knolage of electronics but not lots like some on here which is why i asked some help
Actually, after consideration, I'm with kr0ne on this, a switcher PSU is a dangerous piece of kit, that video shows an idiot, the filter caps he shorts out carry in the region of 180V DC each and can be deadly. Seriously, it's not a piece of tech to learn electronics on unless you're supervised and have a proper, safe workbench.
hdjmings1

Post by hdjmings1 »

thanks for the input
26-TM-1982
M3YCM

President Lincoln
RM KL400
siro HI-POWER 4000

kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

Yeah, re-purposing a computer PSU is one thing but it's really not a good idea to start messing about trying to modify the circuit if you are not sure what you are doing...

What are you planning to power with the PSU? What sort of current do you need and are you looking for a fixed voltage at 13.8V or something you can vary as required?
hdjmings1

Post by hdjmings1 »

kr0ne wrote:Yeah, re-purposing a computer PSU is one thing but it's really not a good idea to start messing about trying to modify the circuit if you are not sure what you are doing...

What are you planning to power with the PSU? What sort of current do you need and are you looking for a fixed voltage at 13.8V or something you can vary as required?
that was why i said i found the vid but didnt think to do it as i dont think i can,

the psu will power a radio so hi current is needed, and as for voltage i suppose it not really important but would like around 13.8/14v
26-TM-1982
M3YCM

President Lincoln
RM KL400
siro HI-POWER 4000