mobile taxi antenna ideas

Do you enjoy making your own equipment or antennas? Discuss construction and design in here.
M7LMH
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: M7LMH

mobile taxi antenna ideas

Post by M7LMH »

Ok guys looking for ideas. My dads retired from the taxis and this was the antenna he was using on the car. http://www.sharman-multicom.co.uk/SHARM ... tml?last=8. It states the antenna covers 164-174 MHz. Unfortunately the radio was rented :cry: just wondering if theres anything i can do with it regarding 2m/70cms (recieve only). iv got a dual bander vertical on the roof but seems to be lacking in performance so was thinking of doing an experiment. any help or suggestions welcome and greatful :thumbup:
Tarambor
Banned
Banned

Re: mobile taxi antenna ideas

Post by Tarambor »

It should work OK as it is. Needs a ground plane to work against though.
Dragonfly
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM363

Post by Dragonfly »

If its just for recieveing you could turn it into a discone by adding different lengths of wire nipped under the antenna thread , PMR 446 is around 5 and a half inches . The more different lengths of wire you add the more resonant frequencies you will get . An old wire coat hanger would be ideal if you don't have any spare whips to cut up .

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Out ... dIndex=142
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bigpimp347
Legend
Legend

Post by bigpimp347 »

cut it around 18" long,
1/4 wave on 2mtrs and 3/4 wave on 70cms :)

and Dragonfly, that's nothing like a discone, that's just two radiators off one feed..
search what a discone is..
I want to Die Asleep like my Grandad did,
Unlike his Passengers, Screaming and Shouting.!
Andy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Andy »

It's a nest of monopoles! Or it would be if it had a few more poles :D Bigpimps suggestion is probably the best. The 70cms polar response will be upward-tilting, but it'll work.
'SOMEONE GET ME A SAW!'
Andy.
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

Buy a taxi.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
M7LMH
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: M7LMH

Post by M7LMH »

thanx guys. as tempting as ADMIRAL's idea of buying a taxi is i decided to go for the cheaper option & use BIGPIMP347's idea. hoping to mount it on the roof this weekend at some point so will let you guys know how it goes! as i have a few old mobile cb whip antennas that no longer get used my next experiment will be a pmr446 antenna. might knock it up b4 goin on roof so i can mount them both at the same time :D cheers again guys