6 meter transverter for CB radio

Do you enjoy making your own equipment or antennas? Discuss construction and design in here.
Cowthief
Banned
Banned
Call Sign: KA5PIU

Re: 6 meter transverter for CB radio

Post by Cowthief »

Hello.

An RF multiplier will do well as a transverter.
Take 24.5 to 30 MHz, multiply it X2 and you get 49 to 60 MHz,that has the transmit covered.
There are chips that are good to 600 MHz, intended for transposing TV channels on cable systems, and some are good to 50 watts.
Analog TV is dead, so this stuff is showing up surplus.
For receive, a TV tuner takes 30 to 900 MHz and puts it on a 40 to 46 MHz IF, that gets halved to 20 to 26 MHz, real close to 27 MHz.
Analog sets of course.
Analog TV sets have an AM video signal and FM audio signal to contend with, so all of that is class A or AB.
Again,the IF and detector chain is almost a 6 to 11 meter converter already, not very far off.
TV sets mix the AM carrier with the FM carrier to offset the FM audio signal, and this is a wide band FM signal.
So, that part is a bit less suited to this transverter project.
But, it is possible to build a really wide band receiver with a TV tuner, 30 to 900+ MHz.
A satellite TV box tuner can be 900 MHz to 2 GHz.
Satellite boxes normally have a 70 MHz IF.
But, from CB to 2 GHz would be interesting!
GeeFull
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by GeeFull »

Jeez Cowthief you like to make life difficult!
Multipliers......yuk, just multiply the errors as well!
And of course mulitply the prime source deviation, meaning to have to start limiting that to achieve the correct deviation at the multiplied frequency!
Bodged up TV receivers?........why when a simple off the shelf 10 meter to six meter transverter board, is easily modified, to accomodate a 27 Mhz IF, even if its a UK FM one!
My first FM 6 meter radio, was a UK 27/81 FM CB, with added Wood and Douglas transverter kit board, and calculated and replaced LO xtal, giving a whopping 1 watt out!
Why a 27/81 FM jobby?, straight forward 10 kHz steps, which transvert nicely to six meters FM, which employs the same channel steps.
That was followed by a converted CB 25 watt linear, and a healthy enough output @ 6 meters FM was achieved!
All built into a die cast box, affixed to the CB itself.
Only did simplex, no repeater shift, but got me on the band.
Of course a CB multimode, would have been more useful, "modes wise", but I used what was available at the time! :D
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

GeeFull wrote:Jeez Cowthief you like to make life difficult!
And of course mulitply the prime source deviation, meaning to have to start limiting that to achieve the correct deviation at the multiplied frequency!
Bodged up TV receivers?........why when a simple off the shelf 10 meter to six meter transverter board, is easily modified, to accomodate a 27 Mhz IF, even if its a UK FM one!
My first FM 6 meter radio, was a UK 27/81 FM CB, with added Wood and Douglas transverter kit board, and calculated and replaced LO xtal, giving a whopping 1 watt out!
Why a 27/81 FM jobby?, straight forward 10 kHz steps, which transvert nicely to six meters FM, which employs the same channel steps.
That was followed by a converted CB 25 watt linear, and a healthy enough output @ 6 meters FM was achieved!
Of course a CB multimode, would have been more useful, "modes wise", but I used what was available at the time! :D
Moo Robber is no more Gee, but I enjoyed your reply anyways! haha.

Do you still have it?
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
GeeFull
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by GeeFull »

MrWeetabix wrote:
GeeFull wrote:Jeez Cowthief you like to make life difficult!
Moo Robber is no more Gee, but I enjoyed your reply anyways! haha.

Do you still have it?
I do still have it yes! :D
Hasn't seen active use for a few years, but broke my duck on six meters in my earliest days, and still holds a soft spot! :D
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

get her pressed back into action and give us some pictures to look at too! :-)
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |