Large CRT TV reuse.

Do you enjoy making your own equipment or antennas? Discuss construction and design in here.
ChrisCSL
Banned
Banned

Re: Large CRT TV reuse.

Post by ChrisCSL »

Sorry, but as an engineer at Sellafield, it is simply impossible for a Cathode-Ray exciter to produce X-Rays. Radar and microwaves as harmonics? - yes, but X-rays? No.

That's why I have simply stopped talking to you, because you are too 'TM1' to argue with.

It's not Connor by the way. Connor's written English is far better and more 'English' than this guy. Connor is on here, and I know who he is, but he is a good guy now. He just quietly enjoys the craic like me, and doesn't 'troll' any more.
2E1IIP

Post by 2E1IIP »

ChrisCSL wrote:Sorry, but as an engineer at Sellafield, it is simply impossible for a Cathode-Ray exciter to produce X-Rays. Radar and microwaves as harmonics? - yes, but X-rays? No.

That's why I have simply stopped talking to you, because you are too 'TM1' to argue with.

It's not Connor by the way. Connor's written English is far better and more 'English' than this guy. Connor is on here, and I know who he is, but he is a good guy now. He just quietly enjoys the craic like me, and doesn't 'troll' any more.
Slightly off topic Chris but years ago we moved to Barrow and lived there from 1988-1994 whilst my dad worked at Vickers, I remember doing a school project which involved following the Pacific Sandpiper from Barrow docks to Japan carrying the waste flasks from Sellafield, was a geography project and I made it interesting when I brought my VHF receiver in to class and tuned in to the local dock channel listening to the ship as it was navigating through the devonshire dock out to sea.
ChrisCSL
Banned
Banned

Post by ChrisCSL »

Well, I am ChrisCSL.

Am I likely to deride 'off topic'?, when I am a notorious off-topic ''Bantermeister'' ;)

There is 'magic' going-on at Sellafield. It was always thought of as a place of the past, but now I am engaged in the rebirth of a thing made in the late 1950s into a thing ready for the 21st century nuclear power renaissance.

You might not like it, but we do. It is 'our thing' . This is 'Nuclear Country'. It is here, and we really know how to do it ... Do you want us to do it near you instead?
Cowthief
Banned
Banned
Call Sign: KA5PIU

Post by Cowthief »

Hello.

First off, TV sets producing X-Rays is a known problem.
http://content.time.com/time/magazine/a ... 85,00.html
both the US and UK have regulations concerning this.
Second, this is a TV set, not an RF amplifier, so everything is TV centric, there is nothing from the manufacturer that says anything about using it as an RF amplifier, it just so happens to work as an RF amplifier.
Finally, we are dealing with junk TV sets, experiment! to total investment can be zero!
The whole point is that this is that something can be done, not that it is perfect, but that it works, and can be done very cheaply.
DX-Digger
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: TM205

Post by DX-Digger »

Cowthief wrote:Hello.

First off, TV sets producing X-Rays is a known problem.
http://content.time.com/time/magazine/a ... 85,00.html
both the US and UK have regulations concerning this.
Second, this is a TV set, not an RF amplifier, so everything is TV centric, there is nothing from the manufacturer that says anything about using it as an RF amplifier, it just so happens to work as an RF amplifier.
Finally, we are dealing with junk TV sets, experiment! to total investment can be zero!
The whole point is that this is that something can be done, not that it is perfect, but that it works, and can be done very cheaply.

Yes thats what you say but you have still got to provide one single thread of evidence despite being asked to!

Where is the Service Sheet that you have in your possession? you know, the one that you got off a "friend who is into this thing" ?

Where is the kit of parts and instructions that you have and say is available?

Where is your built and working amplifier?

I guess you don't know how to upload a picture or an image onto here eh???

:roll: {bnghd}
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
Cowthief
Banned
Banned
Call Sign: KA5PIU

Post by Cowthief »

Hello.

Again, the service sheet says nothing about anything but a TV set, and for good reason, it was a TV set!
Second, I did see a set of instructions, at a flea market.
Upload a picture? what exactly would the point be?
Been there, done that, got the T shirt.
Right now, in process, is the pre production of an amplifier of the basic same design, but can do SSB.
But, this is real simple, get an old Mitsubishi square back TV, and try it.
How hard could that be to get an old CRT TV?
The sets are very easy to identify, they have a flat back and exposed heat sinks.
Some CB hobbyists in the US had a website up about this, and gave up.
Again, I was NOT interested in a 10 meter amp at the time, I want a Tesla coil!
http://www.teslasociety.com/
This thing can do 32 MHz, and somewhat interesting, but not what I am after.
TV HV and sweep circuits have to be able to deal with, well, High Voltage.
think of this as an unneeded diversion from the primary task, building a Tesla coil, a really big one.
At this point the thought of a Tesla coil operating on 28.385 MHz amuses me, the coils could be smaller, etc.
Study what a Tesla coil is, what it can do, and you will understand why TV output transistors would be useful.
The "transmitter" I am interested in will be very high voltage. 20 thousand volts, but at 28.285 MHz.
Clearly, I will be busy, and this project will take months.
But, again, the idea of a Tesla coil at 28.385 MHz, afaik, no one has built one that runs that high a frequency.
So, you are on your own, play carefully with large TV sets, as the current is high enough to kill!
bigpimp347
Legend
Legend

Post by bigpimp347 »

i just will add..

and no i'm not 100% backing up cowtheif..

but what do you all think IRF520N ERF2030 and many other mosfets found in todays radios and amps are ??
they are in fact AUDIO HEXFETS, yup, those chips found in your car audio amps, someone found out they produce RF and adapted the radios and amps to run them..

so although cowthief is seeming to be full bull$hit he isn't in fact, the theory is correct..
if it wasn't for young willy chong in his research shed in china listening to 27.555 on his home made anyblown whilst repairing a alpwoodBL sub boomer 4000 car amp he would not have noticed how it keyed out his receive on his radio while turned on..

ok the last part might not be true, but i'd love to know how the chinese realised that audio hexfets can produce RF..
I want to Die Asleep like my Grandad did,
Unlike his Passengers, Screaming and Shouting.!
DX-Digger
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by DX-Digger »

Cowthief wrote:Hello.

Again, the service sheet says nothing about anything but a TV set, and for good reason, it was a TV set!
Second, I did see a set of instructions, at a flea market.
Upload a picture? what exactly would the point be?
Been there, done that, got the T shirt.

yeah and me Ive uploaded hundreds of pictures!

Right now, in process, is the pre production of an amplifier of the basic same design, but can do SSB.

What in process by you? cool I am in awe of your prowess and intellect! :think:

But, this is real simple, get an old Mitsubishi square back TV, and try it.
How hard could that be to get an old CRT TV?
The sets are very easy to identify, they have a flat back and exposed heat sinks.
Some CB hobbyists in the US had a website up about this, and gave up.

Right! you've made my mind up! I'm off to my local recycling depot and see if I can get me a TV set with a flat back and a heatsink! I will have to check to make sure they got 2sd1887 and 2sd1888 devices in cus they will do me 600Watts ssb and cw! Brill I cant wait! Come on guys we'll all go get one lets make it a TM1 group project! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Again, I was NOT interested in a 10 meter amp at the time, I want a Tesla coil!
http://www.teslasociety.com/
This thing can do 32 MHz, and somewhat interesting, but not what I am after.
TV HV and sweep circuits have to be able to deal with, well, High Voltage.
think of this as an unneeded diversion from the primary task, building a Tesla coil, a really big one.
At this point the thought of a Tesla coil operating on 28.385 MHz amuses me, the coils could be smaller, etc.

It amuses you eh! well I am laughing my Ass off here :lol: :lol: :lol:
Can I ask that you make a video when you test it for the first time? Oh and you need not bother with a Faraday suit you'll be fine it will only tickle a little bit! honest! :thumbup:

Study what a Tesla coil is, what it can do, and you will understand why TV output transistors would be useful.

I already know what Line output transistors do I have changed a few over the years and line output transformers as well, and I have been bitten a few times as well front the EHT lead. I even used an old Lopti to build an electric fence for a college lecturer's farm to keep his pigs in.

The "transmitter" I am interested in will be very high voltage. 20 thousand volts, but at 28.285 MHz.

Nahh you will need at least 300KV and no 28.285MHz nahh thats just not right how about 27.555MHz?

Clearly, I will be busy, and this project will take months.

oh clearly! Month's and Month's, even years! (with any luck)!

But, again, the idea of a Tesla coil at 28.385 MHz, afaik, no one has built one that runs that high a frequency.

Hmm careful you got a bit of frequency drift there, you moved up and down 100KHz! You cant afford to have that much instability in your resonant tesla coil cus the spark may jump to the wrong spot and fry ya nuts! :thumbup: :thumbup:

So, you are on your own, play carefully with large TV sets, as the current is high enough to kill!
Oh yeah! I didnt know that its the volts that jolts but its the mils that kills!

So will you be making a regular post in this section detailing your 28.385MHz Tesla coil?
We want lots of pictures and video footage!
Who knows maybe you could teach us CB Rednecks how to make one as well???

Hey I have an electric sub station around the corner it handles 330,000 volts but only at 50Hz so you will be quite safe! You're more than welcome to come visit with me and have a play! I would be more than happy to film it for you and upload it to you tube for all the TM1 guys to watch in awe of your Tesla handling abilities!

So Do please pop back on TM1 in 6 months or so and keep us all updated with your progress!

Ooooo I cant wait to see the video footage!
This must be one of your students! :thumbup: :thumbup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2hPsNTFQjo
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

Well, yes, people were pulling bottles out of old TV sets in the late 70's/early 80's and sticking them in their nasty Bremi amps, so we get the theory, if you strip the components out of a Boeing 747 I'm sure you could build a vending machine and a dog kennel, but you are giving us theoretical stuff.

How about listing some of the goodies that can be found in this 'flat-back' TV, and maybe a circuit diagram of the re-arranged bits, and maybe even a Yoootooob vid of the thing assembled and a power meter swinging away?
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
Warden
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM612

Post by Warden »

Never mind TV sets, a local breaker i heard on 19 yesterday said that a microwave oven contains 700 watt pill type transistors and he's going to use them in his linear. :lol:
26-TM-612

No one rules if no one obeys.

Winner of the amazing In before the lock game 09/09/14 :)
DX-Digger
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by DX-Digger »

Warden wrote:Never mind TV sets, a local breaker i heard on 19 yesterday said that a microwave oven contains 700 watt pill type transistors and he's going to use them in his linear. :lol:

Ahhh ok so when I go to the recycle yard I gotta pick up a microwave as well but its gotta have pills in it?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ask him to take photos and make a yootube video for the TM1 website then we can all make one!
:thumbup: :thumbup:
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

on a lighter note, in a North Wales dialect the microwave is referred to as a "Poppty Ping"

and some Germans call them Das Pingding

Knowledge is power. ;-) lol
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
sec1223
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by sec1223 »

WARDEN....were are you in west yorks?
cant stand IGNORANT b******ds
Warden
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM612

Post by Warden »

sec1223 wrote:WARDEN....were are you in west yorks?
Huddersfield
26-TM-612

No one rules if no one obeys.

Winner of the amazing In before the lock game 09/09/14 :)
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

Come on Cowthief, PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN! :P