SDR Radio Kit?

Do you enjoy making your own equipment or antennas? Discuss construction and design in here.
robkay
Regular
Regular

SDR Radio Kit?

Post by robkay »

Just wondering if anyone had built one of the SDR radio kits, if so any thoughts on which one to go for.....i thought a tranceiver might be interesting.....
Looking at the Genesis radio kits, anyone any experience or other suggestions?
http://www.genesisradio.com.au/
Rob :mrgreen:
crusty
Veteran
Veteran

Re: SDR Radio Kit?

Post by crusty »

The Peaberry v2 kit is getting popular and the Softrock kits are good value/well documented. The Peaberry being more consumer friendly having an integral soundcard. Softrock kits need a good PC soundcard to get the best out of them, and some isolation work. I've looked at the Genesis kits a lot, price and confusing revision documentation have held me back. :(

What I'd like to see developed is a kit to interface existing SDR receivers into homebrew transmitters.
robkay
Regular
Regular

Post by robkay »

The Peaberry v2 does look interesting, might go for something like that for a start. Looks like i'll need a new soldering iron and pair of eyes.....
Thanks for your thoughts
Rob :D :D
crusty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crusty »

Life's too short for 0.3mm solder & needle iron tips Rob. :D Loads of liquid flux, steady stroke with a well wetted poker, more flux and braid to clear bridging. If you're clumsy at handling smd parts like me, put the pcb in a foil tray, you'll thank me later. :lol:
Keep us posted.
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

crusty wrote:Life's too short for 0.3mm solder & needle iron tips Rob. :D Loads of liquid flux, steady stroke with a well wetted poker, more flux and braid to clear bridging. If you're clumsy at handling smd parts like me, put the pcb in a foil tray, you'll thank me later.
Spot on! Flux, flux and more flux... :D
robkay
Regular
Regular

Post by robkay »

Do you need to clean the flux off when you have finished the build, not done a lot of smd but we used to clean the pcb off on the through hole stuff or after doing repairs on video pcbs?
Thanks
Rob :mrgreen:
crusty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crusty »

That's a good question Rob. Some go to great lengths to clean flux off, others don't bother at all. Fully cleaning a board requires a lot of solvent, in reality most homebrewers just thin it out and push it around the pcb with a brush. :lol: For home etched boards or point-to-point construction I deliberately coat the board with flux, this reduces oxidisation and prevents fingerprints etching the bare copper.

I just remove any excess flux. Some liquid fluxes are 'no clean'. Opinions will vary. :)