low noise antenna?

Do you enjoy making your own equipment or antennas? Discuss construction and design in here.
normd
Registered New User
Registered New User
Call Sign: 2E0FAS

low noise antenna?

Post by normd »

I have just recently returned to ham radio and am having a ton of problems with QRM/QRN. I get S9+ on everyband below 15M and to add to my wows I also get interference from someone's plasma tv! What i want to build is a low noise antenna but all i can find when i google is yagi's which are difficult and expensive to build and need expensive rotators so does anyone know of a simple wire antenna that's low noise? I currently use an off center dipole which google tell's me are known for noise.
73's de 2E0FAS
Black_Pirate
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM034

Re: low noise antenna?

Post by Black_Pirate »

try a cheap loop just rx first to see if it cuts noise then build it precisely...
its a loop or a moxon...for noise really...
they worked for me...!!!!
looking for propagation for 2013 and beyond... Operating close to the Edge....
of reason......and the Quantocks...
Didi modes (JS8 on 27.245 usb) txt messages via radio lol at minus- 10 to 20 db..... 😊 See FB page...

26T.M.034
GOOD LUCK IN DX
Andy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Andy »

Yup, a seperate loop antenna for RX only. Solved my problems on Topband, noise went from s8/s9 down to s1/s2.

http://www.freewebs.com/g1hbe/listening.htm
'SOMEONE GET ME A SAW!'
Andy.
gareth
Regular
Regular

Post by gareth »

i was also having major problems with noise

i purchased an rfi filter extension strip, installed a good quality copper earth ground and that made a huge difference

i have today installed a long wire antenna which was better than the vertical i have - tried it also connected to the earth and it is now working so much better i cant tell you..
good luck

Gareth
MEIRION AMATEUR RADIO SOCIETY
AndyWestcott
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: M0WAN

Post by AndyWestcott »

In my opinion, if the noise is present in the space around you, no antenna is going to be able to distinguish that from the stations you want to hear.

The best route is to deal with the interference, and if of man-made origin, Ofcom (for UK) are the best to deal with this.

I had HUGE problems with a neighbour who had installed a pair PLT devices (networking over the power cables in the house) and these wiped out everything.

Ofcom were informed, and the offending devices ordered to be removed.

Worth a try, especially as regards the plasma TV - these are known to be problematic, especially Panasonic ones, as far as I'm aware.