CB Ground Plane on a Motorhome

Do you enjoy making your own equipment or antennas? Discuss construction and design in here.
SaddleTramp
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: ST268

CB Ground Plane on a Motorhome

Post by SaddleTramp »

Hi all, Acquired a Motorhome and having a great deal of trouble getting a rig to work correctly, Tried a NGP (No ground Plane) kit and may as well use a couple of cans and a piece of string. {bnghd}
I am thinking of getting a sheet of metal and either having it powder coated or sprayed and baked and sticking it to roof as I have plenty of room for it, and then using a Mag mount with a steel whip.
Thinking of a piece about 6' X 3' , I think I would need a wire connected to ut and then attached to Vehicle Ground, Does anybody have any knowledge of this sort of Mod, If so I would appreciate any help or ideas.
Had one in a Truck since 1972 and the old rigs were so much easier to work with :lol:
Black_Pirate
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM034

Re: CB Ground Plane on a Motorhome

Post by Black_Pirate »

hi Saddletramp...
driving round Europe lots.... I saw some kind of mount used by many campers that fitted to the bonnet of the engine..very much like a big gutter mount..bolted on the seam ....
I guess because most, if not all of them are metal as opposed to most of the rest of the body...
Trucking may have them but, definately the european sellers of motorhomes if your going that way !!!!
you can see them sometimes on UK campsites that have been brought back or made by UK users...
very popular in Italy :shock:

hope this helps.....
looking for propagation for 2013 and beyond... Operating close to the Edge....
of reason......and the Quantocks...
Didi modes (JS8 on 27.245 usb) txt messages via radio lol at minus- 10 to 20 db..... 😊 See FB page...

26T.M.034
GOOD LUCK IN DX
SaddleTramp
Regular
Regular

Post by SaddleTramp »

Hi Thanks for reply.
Yes I have seen them, My problem is that None of my Motorhome is Metal, well none of the front, It doesn't even have a Bonnet as such and it is Plastic of some sort.
The body is Aluminium coated Foam panels or something like that Or GRP or something, I have tried all sorts of twigs but "Crap", getting desperate now as most distance I can get is 1 1/2 K max, SWR is great but I can shout farther.
I travel Europe a lot and really need to sort it as I just get time to say "Hi" then I have lost them into back of box.
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

This is probably a stupid reply as you've been all over the thing, but my old camper had a steel ladder at the back which took a mirror-mount very nicely.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
SaddleTramp
Regular
Regular

Post by SaddleTramp »

Admiral wrote:This is probably a stupid reply as you've been all over the thing, but my old camper had a steel ladder at the back which took a mirror-mount very nicely.
No mate, I don't have a Ladder Nor a Roof Rack, The problem nowadays is that most items are made of alloy and as such don't make decent ground planes.

My Motorhome which is a brand new model, is what is known as an A Class the ones with No Bonnet ie a flat front, So the bonnet solution is out.

I cannot think of any other method than to use a sheet of thin steel on the roof, It is just working out how big a piece and if it needs connecting to a proper vehicle earth, I know a bit about CB's and Ground planes etc but I am not an expert by any means and that is one of the things I am not sure about.

But thank's for your reply.
Minus1
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Minus1 »

I don't profess to have tried this, but in theory self adhesive aluminium tape might do the trick:

http://www.radiomods.co.nz/forum/viewto ... f=4&t=2942

http://www.woodanddouglas.co.uk/FAQ/wha ... und-plane-

http://www.tapes-direct.co.uk/index.php ... rbln0aihd6

and it will be a damn sight lighter and cheaper than a 6' x 3' sheet of metal :shock:
KEY : = channel/stud | ~ = CTCSS/DCS | ^ = transmitter site | ¯ = overhead | * = trunked
SaddleTramp
Regular
Regular

Post by SaddleTramp »

Minus1 wrote:I don't profess to have tried this, but in theory self adhesive aluminium tape might do the trick:

http://www.radiomods.co.nz/forum/viewto ... f=4&t=2942

http://www.woodanddouglas.co.uk/FAQ/wha ... und-plane-

http://www.tapes-direct.co.uk/index.php ... rbln0aihd6

and it will be a damn sight lighter and cheaper than a 6' x 3' sheet of metal :shock:
Hi Thanks for the links.
This has now blown my mind, The links are saying Aluminium tape, My roof is Aluminium, But it doesn't work as a Ground Plane :roll: So what is wrong, ? Don't get it at all. {bnghd}
ColdZero

Post by ColdZero »

How about running lengths of copper wire under the tape :?:

ps...can any one explain why ally tape / or an alloy roof does not work as a ground plane?
Does it really have to be made of a ferrous metal ?
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

It only needs to be ferrous if you want to use a magmount to physically attach the antenna...

Just ensure that there is a good metal to metal (low resistance) contact between the ground plane and the feeder braid and, as an old Aussie flat mate always used to say, she'll be right.
Minus1
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Minus1 »

ColdZero wrote:ps...can any one explain why ally tape / or an alloy roof does not work as a ground plane?
It's decades since I did something like this, but assuming you're using the same sort of antenna base I used, and assuming you've cut a hole in the roof to mount the antenna, have you removed any paint from the underside of the roof around the hole so that when you tighten the nut you get a good contact?
As well as removing the paint, a locking washer between the nut and the roof should also help to ensure a robust contact.
KEY : = channel/stud | ~ = CTCSS/DCS | ^ = transmitter site | ¯ = overhead | * = trunked
SaddleTramp
Regular
Regular

Post by SaddleTramp »

Minus1 wrote:
ColdZero wrote:ps...can any one explain why ally tape / or an alloy roof does not work as a ground plane?
It's decades since I did something like this, but assuming you're using the same sort of antenna base I used, and assuming you've cut a hole in the roof to mount the antenna, have you removed any paint from the underside of the roof around the hole so that when you tighten the nut you get a good contact?
As well as removing the paint, a locking washer between the nut and the roof should also help to ensure a robust contact.
I am working on it, I need to find a location that I can fit it that won't be obvious, Like in a cupboard or somewhere.
sureshot
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM413

Post by sureshot »

Not sure on this idea but, what about a galvanized pole attached to the vehicles chassis at some point around the motor, like say tow bar area or either side of the vehicle, the chassis becomes the ground plane. :? :D
CB call. Shipwreck.
james325

Post by james325 »

More Infomation on this site than you will ever need!

http://www.k0bg.com/
G7VAE
SaddleTramp
Regular
Regular

Post by SaddleTramp »

Sureshot THAT is a great idea, I will certainly explore that, James325 that is a fantastic link thanks a lot and it virtually confirms the idea that sureshot has put forward.

Thanks a lot to all.
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

If you have an ahh-loo-min-uhm roof, you have all you need already dude...