Decent Soldering Iron?

Do you enjoy making your own equipment or antennas? Discuss construction and design in here.
darkone
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Re: Decent Soldering Iron?

Post by darkone »

cubwolf wrote:I love my Weller TCP.
Had it years and only ever changed the tips.
Ditto.

I bought a pair of Weller TCPs from RS in the early 90s. Still have them and have only ever changed tips.

Edit: and the sponges!

Pretty happy with my Aoyue 852A for SMD.
"Far from idleness being the root of all evil, it is rather the only true good."
Soren Kierkegaard - Danish philosopher (1813 - 1855)
crusty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crusty »

kr0ne wrote:
crusty wrote:Bought one of these a while ago for salvaging parts from scrap pcb's.
What is it?
Cheap 30w Chinese soldering iron off ebay. Hold the button down and it gets hotter (60w).
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

Gotcha. Had a feeling you were going to say something like that but the words on the picture had me wondering if it was some new cheap and cheerful chinese de-soldering contraption... ;)
duncan2
New User
New User

Post by duncan2 »

My Weller lasted 20 years and yes the tcp switch packed in. Looked all over the place but as above prices were high. I eventually bought a Vann Draper - digital SL-30 Still working fine after 12 years. Be careful though they come from China and the same case was used in a whole range of cheaper versions by many businesses which were rubbish and not up to the standard of Vann Draper. I remember my first soldering iron it was a Solon bought cheap from Woolworths in the 50s lasted a long time but -as I found out could not be used in transistor repair as the leakage was tremendous [fets blew].