Ugly Balun - has anyone tried one

Do you enjoy making your own equipment or antennas? Discuss construction and design in here.
northern35s
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Ugly Balun - has anyone tried one

Post by northern35s »

Chokes, a very good source of information on the subject:

Chokes 'n' stuff
Mobile DXing from the car and on foot
wa10
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by wa10 »

thanks 35s,
that shows with easy to see graphics why you can't just loop or wind any old piece of coax and expect it to perform as it should, you can make matters worse,
you only have the current thats comming from your radio,
its up to ther reader to decide where they want that current to flow ;)
W8JI
"An antenna with a poor ground using few radials cannot have a support mast grounded to the radial common point (at least it shouldn't if designed properly) There is no exception to this!
wind in the antenna
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by wind in the antenna »

I'm like not young enough to no everythink

I'm a radio armature who made the switch to ariel none-bio
New Face in Hell

----------------
Tony in Brighton
26TM9480
26FB298
G7TXU
----------------
wa10
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by wa10 »

windy, nobody knows everythink,
the more i learn the more i realise i will never get close to learning it all,
there is 5lb of bs and halftruths posted on forums about antennas feedlines amps radios you name it to every ounce of truth and its contagious,
if just one person remembers this thread the next time they choose and install an antenna then neither of our posts were wasted ;)
W8JI
"An antenna with a poor ground using few radials cannot have a support mast grounded to the radial common point (at least it shouldn't if designed properly) There is no exception to this!
wind in the antenna
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by wind in the antenna »

I am humbled.
If you have any plans for Tesla anti-gravity machines, circuit bending and perpetual motion paradigms, will you let me know?

I'm a radio armature who made the switch to ariel none-bio
New Face in Hell

----------------
Tony in Brighton
26TM9480
26FB298
G7TXU
----------------
wa10
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by wa10 »

i can't tell you how to do that but i can point you in what i believe could be the right direction,
if you come across a classically educated doubting thomas , ask them to explain whats going on in the double slit experiment,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wypYFe3JXdE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhuSn6sc7sc
W8JI
northern35s
Veteran
Veteran

Post by northern35s »

wa10 wrote:i can't tell you how to do that but i can point you in what i believe could be the right direction,
if you come across a classically educated doubting thomas , ask them to explain whats going on in the double slit experiment,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wypYFe3JXdE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhuSn6sc7sc
I can't open Yewtoob videohs at work, but wave partical duality is one of my favourite WTF subjects, that and Schrodiger's cat, they took a while to sink in.

My Son, in year 8, was tasked with some homework whereby he had to find various properties of light and discuss it in class, in a well rehearsed script he raised his hand and answered the question, my son didn't really know what he was talking about, but the teachers flabber had never been so gasted :lol:

As far as learning is concerned, I learn new stuff everyday, though remembering it all has always been a poroblem, transmission line theory is one I'll have to accept that I will never know it all, and I'm a long way from knowing enough.
GW0DIV
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: GW0DIV

Post by GW0DIV »

The more I learn the more I realise how little I know!
http://www.facebook.com/southwalesradio

http://www.radioclubs.net/rars/

Twitter: @GW0DIV

President of Bristol Channel Repeater Group
ss3900
Regular
Regular

Post by ss3900 »

hi im useing one at the minit on me siro gpe 5/8 im put mine on a 4 inch round drain pipe

and it stoped me out door light coming on wen ihe fire up th radio fmam n ssb...

just as experiment i made a nother one wraped coaxe round a 2inch pipe about 13/14 turns

put coaxe plugs either end na d amale to female joiner and me swr from 25.515 is now round about

1.5 but it was 2.8 and on uk it was about 1.5 now 1.1 with no tvi or rf so yer it works for me
northern35s
Veteran
Veteran

Post by northern35s »

ss3900 wrote:hi im useing one at the minit on me siro gpe 5/8 im put mine on a 4 inch round drain pipe

and it stoped me out door light coming on wen ihe fire up th radio fmam n ssb...

just as experiment i made a nother one wraped coaxe round a 2inch pipe about 13/14 turns

put coaxe plugs either end na d amale to female joiner and me swr from 25.515 is now round about

1.5 but it was 2.8 and on uk it was about 1.5 now 1.1 with no tvi or rf so yer it works for me
Don't be fooled into thinking that a low SWR is fact that the choke is working, what you have managed to do is introduce loss into your transmission line, in simple terms, it is not only absorbing your transmitted signal, it is also absorbing the reflected signal.

It's the difference between running on a running track and then in a muddy bog, you're still trying to sprint, but the mud is absorbing all your energy and you're getting nowhere fast, a bit like your signal and one of the reasons you're not causing tvi. Good on you for trying, but please, ditch the 14 turn monster :D
rpcomms

Post by rpcomms »

Ive found with those boomerangs from Sirio,best placed on a plastic pole and wood stiffer inserted into stand off platic tube the insert into your ali tube or mast and let antenna float.
It best that way for reasons below

1.It isolates it from EARTH ,so no issues when using SMP PSU (Switch Mode Power Supplies do not like being earthed from dc neg radio chassis via coax braid,RFI and DC noise floor goes up,proven 100% in controlled tests Ive done.)

2.Does not de-tune the resonant ground plane element.

3.A RF choke balun is essential and a must for feeding dipole style antenna as its balanced at fed point,so yes add a RF choking balun below fed point will help,ive tried it on boomerangs and worked well and no stray RF issues on coax.I just wish MFR would supply these as standard kit nowadays with antennas.

4.Keep boomerang well away from brick walls and other objects as best possible,as that can de-tune antenna and have strange issues in reflections.

5.On CB band get antenna as high up as possible as its Line of sight comms I assume your after and very similar properties to low band VHF band as used by our MIL chaps in 30-36.0mhz ranges.

I had really good results with the Sirio boomerang long version,but use self amalgamating tape on all the joints and connectors,screw fix do it cheap tape ,as the ally versions the rains getting into the joints and causes issues after a short time up in air and British rainy wet weather!

Best of luck in ventures!

Rob