Battery Desulfator

Do you enjoy making your own equipment or antennas? Discuss construction and design in here.
JamesA
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Battery Desulfator

Post by JamesA »

We get quite a few dead UPS's through the office these days so i decided to get one of these little kits to try and resurrect some of the batteries. Generally they have 12v 7apm/hour sealed lead acid's in them of one sort or another. Infact the pack i pulled out of one UPS yesterday had 2 in it and one of them was working fine :)

Anyway, from what ive read these little things can work wonders over a week or so. Mine is the basic 12v version.

More info here: http://tinyurl.com/y56v54
Ebay shop here: http://tinyurl.com/y9gyq9t
P1020119.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
M6JCA -> 2E0JCA

Yaesu FT-897, FT-857D (In car), FT-817D & Wouxun KG-UVD1P
Full wave 40M wire loop for HF, Watson V2000 for 2, 70 & 6
HRD Logbook: http://www.hrdlog.net/ViewLogbook.aspx?user=2E0JCA
wa10
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Battery Desulfator

Post by wa10 »

they do work, i have recovered several batteries that were low mileage but sulphated and would not take a charge even at 30volt for a few days,
when i first saw them i built a crude version using my function generator and 2 bench psu's,
once i was satisfied the idea worked i bought a pulsetech powerpulse, not as powerfull as the one you have there but it does the job,

they wont fix a battery with damaged or wornout plates.
W8JI
"An antenna with a poor ground using few radials cannot have a support mast grounded to the radial common point (at least it shouldn't if designed properly) There is no exception to this!
Yamanx
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26FB001

Post by Yamanx »

Perfect for a intermediate project me thinks :)

I biult one a while back, dont use it any longer as I built a neater box of tricks for charging batteries, but not sure if its a bit of snake oil tbh, the theory is that high voltage for short bursts, pulses, removes sulphur build up on the plates of a lead acid battery. You'll get a sulphur build up if the batteries are left low charged for any length of time. But, also the plates disintergrate, and they're knackered at this point. Maybe a small window of opportunity to save them for a while, caught at the right time :)
By all means think yourself big, but never think others small.... R.F.Scott

FBDX
Andy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Andy »

I've rescued several gel-cells which had been left for long periods without charge. The method I use goes:

1. Reverse charge battery at 13.8 v for one second (eg a quick dab). It may take a high current, be warned.
2. Try normally - if no current flows, repeat above until it does.
3. Charge as normal. Current will probably increase before reducing as normal.

**NEVER leave battery on reverse charge unattended!**

*no responsibilty accepted. User carries out this procedure at own risk. Like trousers, shares may go down as well as up.
'SOMEONE GET ME A SAW!'
Andy.
darkone
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by darkone »

Have you successfully recovered any batteries with this kit yet?
"Far from idleness being the root of all evil, it is rather the only true good."
Soren Kierkegaard - Danish philosopher (1813 - 1855)
JamesA
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by JamesA »

Sorry mate, forgot you asked me that question on the last PM! Ive got the kit built, just need a box for it now, dont have any dead batteries to test it on at the moment but next time i get a dead UPS i'll be giving it a go!
M6JCA -> 2E0JCA

Yaesu FT-897, FT-857D (In car), FT-817D & Wouxun KG-UVD1P
Full wave 40M wire loop for HF, Watson V2000 for 2, 70 & 6
HRD Logbook: http://www.hrdlog.net/ViewLogbook.aspx?user=2E0JCA
darkone
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by darkone »

I'm waiting to see if you have any success with it before I order one :)
"Far from idleness being the root of all evil, it is rather the only true good."
Soren Kierkegaard - Danish philosopher (1813 - 1855)
T1z3R

Post by T1z3R »

i have a few 'dead' motorcycle batteris that my optimate charger couldnt ressurect.
i should consider purchasing one of these kits i think.
by the time you get to the end youll realise this is just my signature.