Server converted power supplys.

Do you enjoy making your own equipment or antennas? Discuss construction and design in here.
sureshot
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM413

Re: Server converted power supplys.

Post by sureshot » 15 Mar 2018, 22:26

This is only a small offering, literally. I had to give it a few days of use to see if it behaved reasonably. As most come here looking for "BIG POWER" this might not be for everyone. Although it does cover a multitude of sealed smps units.

The one below was surplus from some old thin clients I had. I started by measuring the voltage whilst the unit was intact. Then the case was split by scoring round the case edges multiple times with a sharp stanley knife. On opening it up I had a quick scoot around the pcb, make sure all capacitors looked ok.

As the wires to the lead had age hardened I decided to replace them with twisted pairs, total wire capacity could carry 8 Amps. As this is a 12 Volt 4.16 Amp power supply, I thought that adiquate. There is no space for terminal or binding posts in this, so I had a rethink and used good quality speaker terminal plate with spring back terminals. I've seen these on retail units stating up to 5 Amps current. If you get good quality ones you could go to 10 - 12 Amps easily with these terminal plates.

Mounting the terminal plate was easy, but I did use nylon machine screws, there are two internal heatsinks, whilst they might be at a low potential I was not taking that for granted. ( in times gone by I've come across heatsinks in atx units that where at mains potential) Put a piece of card glued over the soldered terminal. A test whilst the unit was in two halves, all looked good so it was reassembled. Standard araldite epoxy worked great, allowing over night drying. Tape or a small clamp does the job nicely.

As I don't have a scope at the moment, it's a case of taste it and see. No problems powering an 80 channel cb and an old tagra 25 watt linear amplifier.
Some overs later and all seems fine, current drain was just over 3.2 Amps with that load combination, voltage drop 0.2 Volts under load. So it won't win any prizes in terms of power, but for what it is I'm pleased with it. This process could be adopted to many sealed smps type units, this is what I had laying around.

I'm tempted to look for an oscilloscope, but eBay has only junk, I've got my eyes on a 40mhz hand held unit, might invest in one. It would be interesting to see ripple noise for a known load current, with any smps. Next offing will be back to big server units. Hope some can see potential in this modest offering. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CB call. Shipwreck.

kilimax
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: GM0BRJ

Post by kilimax » 16 Mar 2018, 12:17

Some interesting posts Sureshot. :thumbup:
I have 2 large boxes stuffed full of power supplies of various types, most are rated at 12 volts, a few are somewhere between 5 & 9 volts.

While I don't see me having the need for something like this, I may look out some of the larger 12 volt bricks and see what they're like.
Kilimax - Drew
Amateur Callsign GM0BRJ
Tango Mike Callsign 108TM144

I've changed radios so many times, I've forgotten what I have

MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix » 16 Mar 2018, 12:21

Cracking little project.... be nice to re-purpose some older PSUs. That one from the thin-clients would be ideal for someone who was travelling. Much easier to pack than a 3/5 standard CB PSU or similar

:thumbup:
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Tynemouth. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

PO Box: 62 Town: Albrighton City: Wolverhampton Zip: WV7 3WR

TM1 is now on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB || New Tango Mike QSL cards https://tinyurl.com/TM1-NewQSL

sureshot
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM413

Post by sureshot » 16 Mar 2018, 13:16

Thanks for the comments guys, yes there are lots of sealed psu units that could be viable for use. Couple of pictures for size scale. The 3 - 5 Amp is a standby power supply. But as for the little hp smps, you could put it in your pocket its that small.
If your needs are modest, this type of psu might do you fine. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CB call. Shipwreck.