HOWES CTU8 ANTENNA TUNING UNIT

A place to discuss the HF and Shortwave listening side of the radio hobby. Discuss equipment, frequencies and antenna systems etc. Anything HF!
WARLOCK
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM134

HOWES CTU8 ANTENNA TUNING UNIT

Post by WARLOCK »

HELP,HELP,HELP PLEASE I am new to swl i have just bought myself a yaesu frg 7700 i hope this is a ok radio i have been given a HOWES CTU 8 ANTENNA TUNING UNIT which i am told will be ok to use with my receiver.Now what i want to know, Iis this any good to to me and what sort of antenna will i need ? i would like to listern to 0.5-30mhz
Panteneman
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Panteneman »

Greetings,

The Howes CTU 8 (or any receiver ATU for the HF bands) will help to tune your antenna and SWL rig for optimum performance, and are certainly an essential item in my opinion.

Basically, for HF frequencies on your Yaesu FRG770 is to use a long wire antenna hoisted up in the air from tree to tree, or house to tree depending on how you install it. A good example is a G5RV which will work very well, which can be bought or made yourself, depending on how adventurous you are.
Speaking to people in foreign lands, with various configurations of copper wire in various strange shapes - my friends think I'm committing acts of witchcraft...