loft antenna

A place to discuss the HF and Shortwave listening side of the radio hobby. Discuss equipment, frequencies and antenna systems etc. Anything HF!
Post Reply
gerald123
Super Member
Super Member
Posts: 352
Joined: 12 Feb 2009, 00:05

loft antenna

Post by gerald123 » 12 Dec 2017, 17:30

hi , i have moved house and i cannot put up a long wire outside ...can someone tell me what antenna i can build to put in the loft .....i would like to make a loop antenna if possible ...if not a loop antenna i can put a long wire up but how long should it be for all band monitoring my loft is 12 feet long 8 foot wide and 7 feet high....i know this will be a compramise ...but that is the only space i have.. :roll:

speeddemon

Re: loft antenna

Post by speeddemon » 12 Dec 2017, 18:45

Hi gerald123. :wave: Google. :ugeek: Diy Indoor dipole antenna and slim jim antenna and the qrp antenna design handbook .but if you got 12feet total space availble :geek: id divide bare wire in half Ie a 6 feet wire each side and then center connect your coax feed to dipole ie make a indoor dipole or option 2 put a long wire dipole under/along gutter outside on clear side of your loft for opitum rx/tx. but either way but sure to use h d copper ground wire and ground pole/ stake in ground to lightning proof antenna .. . Hope this helps you bro.cheers n 73's

gerald123
Super Member
Super Member
Posts: 352
Joined: 12 Feb 2009, 00:05

Re: loft antenna

Post by gerald123 » 12 Dec 2017, 23:29

thanks speeddemon for the advice will look into that...

User avatar
Andy
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 1989
Joined: 01 Jun 2004, 09:00
Location: Cheshire
Contact:

Re: loft antenna

Post by Andy » 18 Dec 2017, 11:29

Hi Gerald. I've only just spotted this thread, so I'm probably too late. Over the years, I've found a large wire loop to be very effective. Completely untuned, just connect the ends across your coax. It will have peaks and dips across its range, but you'll find it works well from LF to HF.
'SOMEONE GET ME A SAW!'
Andy.

User avatar
Adriano9966
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 3494
Joined: 07 Jul 2008, 22:13
Location: Banbury Oxfordshire

Re: loft antenna

Post by Adriano9966 » 18 Dec 2017, 12:04

Is it for receiving or also transmitting ?

If it is for transmitting the space you have should be enough for a working loop from 20 metres to 10 metres

if you follow the contours of the roof this should give you 12' x12' ......... Loops do not need to be perfectly straight .

If you place a 4:1 balun at the feedpoint this should help you to match across several bands .

Your attic seems to be the same size as on my house and I have built a similar loop in my attic made out of thick earth cable.

My first contact yielded Svalbard on 15 metres from my poor location using 4 watts SSB .

It is a compromise antenna but it never ceases to amaze me how well it works from inside an attic with a slate roof above it.

good luck with your project

gerald123
Super Member
Super Member
Posts: 352
Joined: 12 Feb 2009, 00:05

Re: loft antenna

Post by gerald123 » 19 Dec 2017, 00:39

Andy wrote:
18 Dec 2017, 11:29
Hi Gerald. I've only just spotted this thread, so I'm probably too late. Over the years, I've found a large wire loop to be very effective. Completely untuned, just connect the ends across your coax. It will have peaks and dips across its range, but you'll find it works well from LF to HF.
thank you for the post...i will try the loop you that you sugested thanks...

User avatar
Andy
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 1989
Joined: 01 Jun 2004, 09:00
Location: Cheshire
Contact:

Re: loft antenna

Post by Andy » 19 Dec 2017, 20:47

I'm assuming this antenna is for RX only. Obviously the match of the loop would be too poor for TX at some frequencies.
'SOMEONE GET ME A SAW!'
Andy.

speeddemon

Re: loft antenna

Post by speeddemon » 19 Dec 2017, 21:09

Use a antenna matchbox ... thats why there are made for. :geek: but For opitum rx/tx best to have any homebrew or any china companies designed antenna mounted outside in open space whenever possible . Cheers

gerald123
Super Member
Super Member
Posts: 352
Joined: 12 Feb 2009, 00:05

Re: loft antenna

Post by gerald123 » 19 Dec 2017, 23:17

Andy wrote:
19 Dec 2017, 20:47
I'm assuming this antenna is for RX only. Obviously the match of the loop would be too poor for TX at some frequencies.
yes antenna is only for rx....thanks

gerald123
Super Member
Super Member
Posts: 352
Joined: 12 Feb 2009, 00:05

Re: loft antenna

Post by gerald123 » 19 Dec 2017, 23:19

speeddemon wrote:
19 Dec 2017, 21:09
Use a antenna matchbox ... thats why there are made for. :geek: but For opitum rx/tx best to have any homebrew or any china companies designed antenna mounted outside in open space whenever possible . Cheers
ok thank you for the advice. :thumbup:

User avatar
ch25
Super Member
Super Member
Posts: 224
Joined: 03 Dec 2016, 11:07
Call Sign: n0call

Re: loft antenna

Post by ch25 » 20 Dec 2017, 14:52

Indoor antenna will pick man made interference the most.
I suggest go for LW antenna made of 0.3-0.4mm enamelled copper wire. It will be invisible, but gonna work.
Chris

gerald123
Super Member
Super Member
Posts: 352
Joined: 12 Feb 2009, 00:05

Re: loft antenna

Post by gerald123 » 20 Dec 2017, 21:48

ch25 wrote:
20 Dec 2017, 14:52
Indoor antenna will pick man made interference the most.
I suggest go for LW antenna made of 0.3-0.4mm enamelled copper wire. It will be invisible, but gonna work.
Chris
ok thanks for your reply...ch25 will do :thumbup:

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest