Grundig Yacht Boy 206

A place to discuss the HF and Shortwave listening side of the radio hobby. Discuss equipment, frequencies and antenna systems etc. Anything HF!
sickboy
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Grundig Yacht Boy 206

Post by sickboy »

I picked up a yacht boy 206 up in a charity shop for the bargain price of £3.49 today. It works perfect and is in very good condition apart from one problem.
The frequency chart that you set the tuning with has distorted out of shape somehow. I've stripped it down and the offending item seems to be made from a similar type of plastic as a credit card. I tried flattening it out but it's beginning to crack.
Does anyone know where I'd likely get a replacement, or failing that a high quality scan of one so that I can print it out on photo paper?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Embrace your inner muppet !
speeddemon

Re: Grundig Yacht Boy 206

Post by speeddemon »

Hi sickboy. try Shortwaveham.com for parts /etc . Cheers n 73's
Tigersaw
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: GW6RRL

Post by Tigersaw »

I wonder if you squashed it between two pieces of glass/metal and put it in the oven at 100 or so it might recover?
No idea, just throwing out a thought
sickboy
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by sickboy »

Thanks speeddemon, I had a look but it just seems to be links to ebay listings, there's no contact info or anything.

Tigersaw I think that might be the solution. I tried using my wife's steam iron with a towel over it. It looked fairly flat at first but as it cooled off it twisted out of shape a bit again. It'd probably need clamped flat until it cooled. I'll go see what I can rig up to clamp it flat while it's heated.
Thanks for the input guys
sickboy
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by sickboy »

Ok, I've bolted 2 mounting brackets together with the plastic scale sandwiched between two pieces of card. I'll go bung it in the oven for 5 minutes to see if I can ruin it altogether ;)
I have the fire brigade on speed dial !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sickboy
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by sickboy »

Meh... it's better but it still looks pretty mangled lol.
I'm still on the lookout for a better option if anyone has any ideas :thumbdown:
speeddemon

Post by speeddemon »

Hi sickboy go to grundig.com for parts and I would slowly use a heatgun/blower dyer for a min outside do not put that in a oven especially for 5mins ! Its a Toxic fumes/fire hazard.! Dont do it .never put anything plastic in a oven in indoors or outdoors.
Last edited by speeddemon on 23 Nov 2017, 20:09, edited 1 time in total.
speeddemon

Post by speeddemon »

Use it as is or buy a parts radio off fleabay or like said above get a replacement at grundig .com