HAARP

A place to discuss the HF and Shortwave listening side of the radio hobby. Discuss equipment, frequencies and antenna systems etc. Anything HF!
Farty
Veteran
Veteran

HAARP

Post by Farty »

Anyone planning a crack at monitoring HAARP during its next scheduled run in September? Date is TBC, but im checking their page every few days.

I understand they will also QSL, either electronically or the old fashioned way, so I might give that a go.
In Before The Lock Champion of Total Magnificenceness May 2016
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Re: HAARP

Post by MrWeetabix »

What freqs are they planning to boil the atmosphere off with this time round? :-)
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
Farty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Farty »

They haven't said yet, but their cancer causing, weather disrupting, mind control typically takes place between 2.5 - 10 MHz. Tin foil hats on everyone! :lol:
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

Rumour had it they shut down a few years ago, clearly a lie, I guess you wouldn't mothball a $10b project, well, apart from Apollo, and RAH-66 Comanche, and ....................
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
Farty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Farty »

It was down for about 2 years. The Air Force binned it off, but Fairbanks University eventually picked it up.
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

I listened to it on 40m at least ten years ago, the sounds were very hypnotic.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
Farty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Farty »

HAARP type experiments being conducted from Arecibo. Today is the last day. Freqs and details...

https://sites.google.com/alaska.edu/gak ... authuser=0
prettypolly
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26FB185

Post by prettypolly »

nominally transmits 600 kilowatts net power (100 to 200 megawatts wtf....
Farty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Farty »

The Arecibo set up is an astronomical radio telescope, so there are probably limits as to what it can do when pressed into atmospheric heating experiments.

Left the SDR# running all night, nothing captured.
CaptainCustard
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 26TM787

Post by CaptainCustard »

A contraption using fluxgate magnetometers sounds like a 88mph Delorean to me.. I want one!
Mark - 26-TM-787 - Nth Norfolk
President Lincoln II v3
Uniden UBC780XLT

"Russian proverb: "Spire, Spire, Pants On Fire"
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

HOLD THREAD-RESSURECTION BATMAN!!!

Heads-up.... HAARP are firing up their massive array again and are looking for reports from you lot ;-)..... 5/9 thank you, next call :-P

"Alaska’s High-Frequency Active Auroral Research Program (HAARP) is prepping for its spring research program. The activity will run March 25 – 29. The high-power HF transmitter and huge antenna array located near Gakona, Alaska, now is operated by the University of Alaska Fairbanks (UAF). HAARP Chief Scientist Chris Fallen, KL3WX, said investigations will range from practical to fundamental physical theory.

“Listen on shortwave between 2.7 and 10 MHz (most experiments will be less than 4 or 5 MHz given low daytime max foF2),” Fallen tweeted on March 13. “Tweet your reception [@ctfallen] and mention me or @uafhaarp, so others can follow along!”

A “special broadcast” featuring Concordia University Assistant Professor of Intermedia Amanda Dawn Christie will be among the transmissions. Fallen said Christie “has a special one-hour piece to perform each evening of the campaign at different times.” Currently those are scheduled to be 0030 – 0130 UTC on March 26; 0200 – 0300 UTC on March 27; 0800 – 0900 UTC on March 28, and 0600 – 0700 on March 29, subject to change.

Christie’s GHOSTS IN THE AIR GLOW — ionospheric audio and image mixing with HAARP website offers more information.

“Very honoured to share that I got a Canada Council Explore and Create Grant to make a new series of Transmission art works using HAARP,” Christie tweeted on Marcy 19. “Mixing audio and images in the ionosphere with HF radio waves!”

Fallen said HAARP operations will generally occur at times within the windows between 2230 and 0300 UTC, and again between 0500 and 0900 UTC each day.

The HAARP spring research program will be Fallen’s last, as he will depart UAF for a new position on March 30.

The fall 2018 HAARP research campaign, which ran from November 29 until December 3, was affected by a November 30 earthquake that shook the Gakona area and interrupted the research activity but had no lasting impact on the facility. “One of the teams relied on ham support in Anchorage, so their remaining experiments were affected,” Fallen told ARRL.

During the fall campaign, scientists investigated radio-enhanced airglow — or “artificial aurora” — including its relation to the natural aurora and its use for measuring high-altitude winds in the thermosphere; the ionospheric generation of very low-frequency (VLF) radio waves, and testing new communications applications of artificial ionosphere plasma structures."

http://www.arrl.org/news/haarp-gearing- ... h-campaign
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: GM0BRJ

Post by Auldgeek »

I subscribe to this guys YouTube channel and it so happens this weeks video is all about HAARP, so here's the link for anyone interested.

https://youtu.be/5WdLV3YRMvw
Auldgeek - Drew

Winner of IBTL Autumn 23 Edition
I've changed radios so many times, I've forgotten what I have :think: