Nepal emergency net on 14.205 Mhz

A place to discuss the HF and Shortwave listening side of the radio hobby. Discuss equipment, frequencies and antenna systems etc. Anything HF!
Mattylad
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: RDX64

Re: Nepal emergency net on 14.205 Mhz

Post by Mattylad »

Using the site |I first mentioned I'm able to RX both 205 & 215 at the same time by using 2 tabs - cheeky lol
Adriano9966
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Adriano9966 »

:) I have been listening over the past few days truly ham radio at its best . It was good to hear the many people volunteering their services.

:| The earthquake is a terrible humanatarian crisis and once again amatuer radio is at the forefront proving just what we have being saying for years that radio saves lives, can make a difference and is more than just a hobby .

:x I also could not believe that such idiots with nothing better to do insisted on tuning/transmitting RTTY and whistling over the to of the designated emergency frequency for this disaster but thankfully they did not win and the many people involved perservered
andymuza
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by andymuza »

Yeah it has been great to listen too. Hearing all the offers of help and much needed equipment and messages about loved ones working over there.

There has been a few idiots trying to get signal reports and qsl cards treating it like it's some special event but overall 99.99% have behaved very well and left the frequencies clear.

This proves how useful Amateur Radio is during times of emergency and makes a mockery of the people who insist amateur radio is no use in an emergency.
I will not be commanded, I will not be controlled.
n+1 the formula for working out how many radios you need with n being the current amount.
ChrisDX
Call Sign: 26TM2830

Post by ChrisDX »

Don't know if they've moved or this is another frequency they use but getting voice and some data on 14.300.
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

And tonight the kilowatt boys are having a 5+9 session on 14.207 which really doesn't help.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
Mattylad
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: RDX64

Post by Mattylad »

They have been instructed by the IARU or something to move back up to 14.300.
And there lay a problem because some other net was not for moving and allowing them to continue with their efforts.
M0MTH
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: M0MTH

Post by M0MTH »

Such a terrible disaster, glad to see people out there prepared to give their precious time to help others in this way.

On the other hand, it's difficult to comprehend what drives people to cause deliberate interference to an emergency comms channel, as mentioned above - burping etc.

They must be aware that they could cause messages not to be heard, slowing down help (potentially life-saving) for people in desperate need.

Keep in mind these are licence-holders, people who have spent a lot of money on transceivers, antennas etc...

Also, IMO the weekends contests should have been postponed or at least restricted by frequency, surely it wouldn't be a stretch to ask that emergency comms be given priority just now..
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

For me, this falls into the CH9 argument which I have always vehemently apposed, but with old age, I kind of fall into the 'live and let live' brigade, if a frequency is designated, officially or not for a purpose, then leave it alone.

I (and half of the World) have a log of G, M and 2 stations that should be ashamed of themselves for the sake of a 10 second 5+9 report.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition