What is 26225kHz all about?

A place to discuss the HF and Shortwave listening side of the radio hobby. Discuss equipment, frequencies and antenna systems etc. Anything HF!
NiCdeth

What is 26225kHz all about?

Post by NiCdeth »

There are a LOT of 0fcom WTR licences for 26225kHz. Is it some kind of induction loop system? I don't understand what places like pubs/housing schemes etc would be doing with it.
Excalibur
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: What is 26225kHz all about?

Post by Excalibur »

Yeah I was wondering this too. I see lots of WTR licenses on that same frequency for some reason. I think its a technician glitch from the database since I've been to that frequency before and heard nothing..
normal
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Re: What is 26225kHz all about?

Post by normal »

Lots of places have OFCOM 'simple site' licences.

It's cheap and OFCOM does not bother trying to allocate a frequency that is not allocated to anyone else in the area.
You can a load of frequencies on the license and you can use any of them. In practise whoever sold the end user some radio equipment chooses which frequency to use

If you have a simple site licence and you have trouble due to someone else nearby using the same frequency then it's just tough, you have to sort it out yourself or get your radio supplier to sort it out.

The OFCOM guide to types of licence says "Licensees have access to a range of frequencies and must self-coordinate with other Simple Site Light licensees."

Simple site licences are mostly, but not entirely, used for short range paging systems.

The paging systems are mostly on 459MHz, with a few on 49MHz. Legal use of the 26MHz simple site frequencies seems to be non existant.