Radio with or without pre selector

A place to discuss the HF and Shortwave listening side of the radio hobby. Discuss equipment, frequencies and antenna systems etc. Anything HF!
pentode
Regular
Regular

Radio with or without pre selector

Post by pentode »

Evening,
I've been thinking about getting a sw receiver and doing a bit of swl, I'm unsure weather I need a radio with a built in antenna tuner or not , do they make that much difference to receive ? What would you suggest , I only really want 1 box . My passion is with 11m free banding and I'm no novice to radio but swl is a new venture to me
Cheers
ChrisCSL
Banned
Banned

Re: Radio with or without pre selector

Post by ChrisCSL »

pentode wrote:Evening,
I've been thinking about getting a sw receiver and doing a bit of swl, I'm unsure weather I need a radio with a built in antenna tuner or not , do they make that much difference to receive ? What would you suggest , I only really want 1 box . My passion is with 11m free banding and I'm no novice to radio but swl is a new venture to me
Cheers
An ATU is a nice final touch, but it won't make anything like as much difference as it does to a transmitter.

Instead I would buy a simple antenna switch, and then have two antennas. Make them two different designs and two different sizes. For example a loft dipole and a long wire. Then one will always work better than the other on a particular frequency/propogation mode.
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

Pre-selectors are generally used in Wadley-loop radios, they are not a luxury but a built in requirement.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
crusty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crusty »

A good receiver shouldn't need a pre-selector, it will have adequate selectivity and built-in bandpass filtering. 'Good' is subjective though, and doesn't often come cheap. You need to say how much you're looking to spend to get any worthwhile feedback.
ChrisCSL
Banned
Banned

Post by ChrisCSL »

Or of course you can keep your money in your pocket - where it belongs - and SWL to your heart's delight here:

http://websdr.ewi.utwente.nl:8901/