shortwave antenna

A place to discuss the HF and Shortwave listening side of the radio hobby. Discuss equipment, frequencies and antenna systems etc. Anything HF!
morval

shortwave antenna

Post by morval »

I got a Roberts r861, (a.k.a. sangean 909) and found something on ebay called the DE 31 MS active loop. It plugs into the 3.5mm jack.

Has anyone else bought this?

Thanks.
g0slq
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by g0slq »

Tell us any more about the loop? - The radio is a belter by the way - a top portable HF rx.

edit: seems very suited to the radio and more convenient than wire but..... postage is almost half the antenna cost again.
G0SLQ website
Icom IC-7100 + two patchleads and a broken PL
kc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by kc »

Why not make a loop frame antenna, they are simplicity it's self to make & then you just sit your radio inside the loop & turn it & tune it.
There are also lots of very good HF active antennas Garex (who make the AKD range of radios) does one for about ?40, this is also marketed as a Watson antenna I believe.
So I passed this test that allows me to twiddle with knobs, push buttons & call my self an Advanced !!!!!!!
M0LSX
g0slq
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by g0slq »

I saw a one on ebay a year back maybe. It looked like a diamond-shape loop and miles of wire wrapped around it? - anyone remember such a thing? - in fact it wasn't attached to the radio, just needed to be in close proximity. Presumably the telescopic whip picked up the signal.
G0SLQ website
Icom IC-7100 + two patchleads and a broken PL
kc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by kc »

My old loop frame antenna was a monster. I made it it out of 6 X 4, it stood about 3 feet tall & the wire is simply wrapped around & around the frame & then reconnected to it's self with a small tunable capacitor.
The reception is achieved by induction so you use it by sitting the radio either beside it or in it & turn the frame & then tune the antenna.
They make superb MW DX antennas as you can null out strong signals.
Anyone remember Anorak UK's MW loop frame antennas ?
So I passed this test that allows me to twiddle with knobs, push buttons & call my self an Advanced !!!!!!!
M0LSX
morval

Post by morval »

Well thanks for advice both of you.

Yeah this radio is very good, would recommend it. The included SW wire antenna works well.

I contacted someone on ebay who bought the loop, and they reckon it works well if your not getting anything at all, (which certainly is not the case here). I'll look at the Garex antenna.
Yupiteru 125-II
Uniden 785XLT
Uniden UBC125XLT
grafter
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by grafter »

kc wrote:Anyone remember Anorak UK's MW loop frame antennas ?
Now that's taken me back 20 years or more :shock: The weekly(?) newsletter from Blackpool, I think I've got some tucked away in a box somewhere along with a pile of Monitor magazines.
nordhavn
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by nordhavn »

morval wrote:Well thanks for advice both of you.

Yeah this radio is very good, would recommend it. The included SW wire antenna works well.

I contacted someone on ebay who bought the loop, and they reckon it works well if your not getting anything at all, (which certainly is not the case here). I'll look at the Garex antenna.
All ive got for SWL is a coil of bell wire that runs all around the garden , tacked onto the fence .
kc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by kc »

Off topic I know but I think I still have the Charlie Wolfe advert tape that Anoraks UK sent out.
I also have lots of other tapes from tha era as I ran P O Box 5 Hunstanton.
M0LSX