Scanner newbie seeking transmissions

A place to discuss the HF and Shortwave listening side of the radio hobby. Discuss equipment, frequencies and antenna systems etc. Anything HF!
chriz1
Regular
Regular

Scanner newbie seeking transmissions

Post by chriz1 »

Hi all I recently stumbled upon the 20m band on 14.200 MHz when the weather was bad recently and Heard Guy from Norway since the weather improved I haven't been able to listen to anyone else on there I'm using the small telescopic antenna and live at a decent height above sea level,
I'm wondering if a simple length of copper wire out into the antenna jack of my Yupiteru mvt7100 would improve the listening on 20M?
Thanks Chris
milonoblet
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 2E0ILO

Re: Scanner newbie seeking transmissions

Post by milonoblet »

chriz1 wrote:Hi all I recently stumbled upon the 20m band on 14.200 MHz when the weather was bad recently and Heard Guy from Norway since the weather improved I haven't been able to listen to anyone else on there I'm using the small telescopic antenna and live at a decent height above sea level,
I'm wondering if a simple length of copper wire out into the antenna jack of my Yupiteru mvt7100 would improve the listening on 20M?
Thanks Chris
Yes, as a small telescopic aerial is likely not resonant on the frequencies needed. The way I see it, the more antenna you have, the more you can receive. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Random_wire_antenna
2E0ILO since 22 Feb 14
M6ILO since 09 Apr 13
Volunteer with Wirral RAYNET (RAEN)
Cadet Leading Rate @ Calday Grange Combined Cadet Force (RN), NCO i/c signals.
Cadet Radio User Feb '13, Cadet Signaller Feb '14, Cadet Communicator May '14
grahamwilman01
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 2E0CSU

Post by grahamwilman01 »

you can try one of these http://tinyurl.com/olkxjn9 pretty cheap I use it for transmitting on and get good results from it
MW6ZAN
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by MW6ZAN »

hi there if your going to connect a long wire to your scanner try different lengths of copper i would not run longer than 10 ft as it will overload the front end of a hand held scanning receiver i use a yupiteru 7100 connected to an internal window copper wire wound round the window frame with an rg58u coax feed works very well but remember to run an earth wire ground to a central heating radiator pipe in the house as it will need a good earth to work best regards.