Perseus SDR

A place to discuss the HF and Shortwave listening side of the radio hobby. Discuss equipment, frequencies and antenna systems etc. Anything HF!
acl777

Perseus SDR

Post by acl777 » 21 Jul 2013, 15:43

Does this now work on windows 8 and on laptops and how easy is it to install and use to for somebody who has absolutely no idea about SDR? Also are there any cheaper alternatives to the Perseus that would work on windows 8 and give similar performance. Thanks.

sideband
Regular
Regular

Re: Perseus SDR

Post by sideband » 21 Jul 2013, 22:15

I would suggest you take a look at the Perseus SDR Yahoo group, there are many threads there addressing your question about Windows 8.
From what I've gathered the anomaly with the Perseus SDR is not with Windows 8 but with USB 3 - the connection being that USB 3 is a recent addition to computers and recent computers are likely to run Windows 8.

To see if you are comfortable with the user interface and performance the Perseus provides, you can download the Microtelecom software and use it for a month remotely accessing the many on-line Perseus SDR servers around the world. You do not need a Perseus SDR to run the Microtelecom software in this way for a month and so do not need to install a Perseus USB driver, but you get the full user experience.

You don't need to be fully conversant with SDR technology to use the Perseus any more than being an expert with the advanced superhet' technology of the Icom 8500 - but SDR User interfaces are generally very different from a standard communications receiver front panel.

Simon Brown's SDR Radio Console version 2 will drive the Perseus, and this is free and a good alternative to try. Once again I believe you can use the SDR v2 console on-line with SDR servers around the world. There is a very active SDR Radio Yahoo group.

Alternatively Winrad and it's derivatives are free and will drive the Perseus SDR.

I have had my Perseus for about 3 years, and I use the Microtelecom or SDR v2 console. It is a truly incredible LW/MW & HF receiver tuning from VLF to 40 Mhz and alternatively it is a sensitive and accurate spectrum analyser to 40 Mhz. Initially I used the Perseus very successfully with Windows XP and an old Pentium 4 desktop. This was replaced some years ago with a core i3 desktop running Windows 7. The Perseus does require considerable processing power, but a modern desktop/laptop will provide this with ease.

The Microtelecom Perseus SDR software "unzips" to multiple files which include a very comprehensive Perseus User guide. A separate Microtelecom package provides the USB driver complete with comprehensive installation guidance.
Once the USB driver is installed there is no further software installation required, the Perseus receiver is just run with the perseus.exe file.

The RF Space SDR-IQ is another SDR you might like to consider, there are many reviews and comparisons available on the Internet - typically at

http://www.ssb.de/pdfs/radcom_mar08.pdf

Read the excellent RadCom review of the Perseus SDR at

http://www.woodboxradio.com/download/mi ... us_sdr.pdf

Many SDR's have become available since the Perseus and the SDR-IQ came on the market some years ago, typically the WinRadio and Cross Country Wireless SDR-4+. The "Softrock" range of SDR's are very good value but have limited frequency range, although an "Ensemble" All-Band SDR kit is available.

The important thing is to read lots of reviews and join the user groups and forums for each SDR of interest, find out what facilities each SDR provides, how well it performs and how well the user interface software works for others.

acl777

Post by acl777 » 22 Jul 2013, 03:56

Thanks for the reply and suggestions. I will go over to yahoo groups to have a look at some of the issues. Seems to be alot of choice out there.

crusty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crusty » 22 Jul 2013, 13:50

Read a couple of comments from Perseus and Winradio excalibur owners saying the excalibur has a slight edge in some areas using propitiatory software. The Winradio software is resizable for fullscreen/widescreen use, the Perseus software has a fixed window size. This could be a consideration. HDSDR supports both units.

AFEDRI SDR-Net is a good unit for the money. I have the older AFEDRI-USB, and recently helped install a newer AFEDRI SDR-Net for a local Ham. It uses ethernet for its primary connection and can steam IQ across LAN, a handy feature for remote use. Setting it up has some quirks, its simultaneous bandwidth is limited to 460kHz, and has only a low-pass filter at the front end. External filtering is recommended, but its performance is very good for the cost (expect VAT and handling on top of advertised price).

As sideband states, the softrock kits are great value and not to be sniffed at. A good PC sound card is needed to see the best results, the Asus D1 works well here.

All are good receivers. Have fun whatever your choice.

26TM944
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 26TM944

Post by 26TM944 » 22 Jul 2013, 14:21

Hi,

Still 5th on the list http://www.sherweng.com/table.html and I've had one since they came out- no issues with Windows 7 or 8 - USB3 support maybe a driver issue but I have two new ACERs with USB3 ports - you get 2 and 8 normal ones to choose from - or run an external powered hub.

All will work fine with it. Simple to use and a a fixed sized UI for various proper technical reasons to do with the accuracy of the display etc.

Had a WinRadio Excalibur when they came out from ML&S and sold it to get an 857D for the car a couple of months later. Could not tell you honestly it was better or worse than the Perseus. GUI took some getting use too.

Enjoy which ever radio you choose. SDRs make an impact the moment you watch 4Mhz of HF and see the propagation change or the MUF rising ...!

Steve
26-TM-944
  • A rig, twig & burner.

acl777

Post by acl777 » 22 Jul 2013, 18:12

Thanks for the advice. One last question if I buy the perseus on sale at radioworld at the momment what else is needed? Do I just plug it into my windows 8 laptop usb and download the enclosed cd software? Is it that simple? Is the FM converter a different box and is a quality SDR really better than a standard receiver.

26TM944
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by 26TM944 » 23 Jul 2013, 12:05

acl777 wrote:Thanks for the advice. One last question if I buy the perseus on sale at radioworld at the momment what else is needed? Do I just plug it into my windows 8 laptop usb and download the enclosed cd software? Is it that simple? Is the FM converter a different box and is a quality SDR really better than a standard receiver.
Yes; that simple plug the antenna into the BNC (adaptor supplied with them new) and load the software & the driver - that's it - open the program and start playing about. Best to go into options and first "reverse mouse wheel" and then adjust the filters for maximum - I think it comes 400 make it 5000 or whatever is the highest it goes to and have a listen - if you get strange burps & hicks then back the filters down a bit - they do need a good PC to run at max but I never had any trouble on the machines I have used it on.

YMMV of course.

You can try the software without the radio - install in trial mode and download some WAV files to play with. Ayrshire MW DX man has loads. So does the Yahoo group.

Hope that helps

Steve
26-TM-944
  • A rig, twig & burner.

acl777

Post by acl777 » 24 Jul 2013, 04:00

Thanks for the info.As suggested I will try the demo.should be interesting.

acl777

Post by acl777 » 16 Aug 2013, 20:31

Well I now have the Perseus up and running connected to a Wellbrook. Its amazing. I cannot believe how quite and sensitive it is. Everything about it including the interface excels everything I could have dreamt of :D .

26TM944
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by 26TM944 » 17 Aug 2013, 17:34

Compare the sharpness of the filters in the Perseus to the 8500 - then see why analogue is dead now.

Nico did a fantastic job - BUT read the readme and notes - you'll never go back!

Steve
26-TM-944
  • A rig, twig & burner.

26TM944
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by 26TM944 » 17 Aug 2013, 17:37

I have a Perseus WAV file somewhere you can have that pulls CHUM from Toronto on 1050Khz out under Talksport on 1053Khz - my other radios were just a mess!
26-TM-944
  • A rig, twig & burner.

26CAB40
Veteran
Veteran

Post by 26CAB40 » 17 Aug 2013, 18:09

My experiences with the Perseus and SDR-IQ were what convinced me to go for the KX3.
Now to put my LA5030 in the loft !!
"It's worth whatever they're willing to pay"

acl777

Post by acl777 » 18 Aug 2013, 13:30

Yes the sharpness of the filters is amazing. I will use the 8500 for VHF/UHF but cant see me going back to conventional receiver's for MW and HF. To pull CHUM 3 khzs from a powerhouse is almost unheard of.
26TM944 wrote:I have a Perseus WAV file somewhere you can have that pulls CHUM from Toronto on 1050Khz out under Talksport on 1053Khz - my other radios were just a mess!