New house, new stealth antenna

A place to discuss the HF and Shortwave listening side of the radio hobby. Discuss equipment, frequencies and antenna systems etc. Anything HF!
Ebiff2k
Regular
Regular

New house, new stealth antenna

Post by Ebiff2k » 14 Jul 2013, 17:03

Hi all I've just moved to a rented bungalow and I'm looking to setup a stealth antenna I think I only have to main options for keeping it out side (shown in the hyper realistic Hi def drawing attached.)
I can go over the roof and feed it into the house or along the gutter and feed it in. I do have the option of using the attic but I understand even a poor antenna out side will out preform anything inside? the house is North/south facing so the chimney is south. meaning across the roof would be E-W.

What would people recommend? Its being used for SWL so not for transmitting.

Thanks

Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Ginger Missile-
-26-TM-368-

FAFFER

Re: New house, new stealth antenna

Post by FAFFER » 14 Jul 2013, 21:13

Fan dipole in the loft for every band.
Build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Allan666
Call Sign: G0CRB

Post by Allan666 » 15 Jul 2013, 07:54

If you are only using the aerial wire for receive/listening on,Put plenty of wire on your loft floor then lift a tile poke it through and take it all round your house in the plastic gutter...........My bungalow I fitted a 20 foot mast each end with a white triband colineerer on top of both masts,One for my VHF/UHF Yaesu and the other for my scanner,The G5RV then goes between the 20 foot masts with the ends of the 5RV going down to rear fence.
If the problen cant be sorted with a "LUMP-HAMMER" then its most likely to be an Electrical fault

Adriano9966
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Adriano9966 » 15 Jul 2013, 09:55

:) I would also go with as much wire as possible but if your using the gutter why not use the whole gutter all the way around the house?? Perhaps a wire loop?Wires can be easily painted to match brickwork or masonary

:D Also if you have a washing line you could even use that for receiving just run the feeder up the line post/support or even bury the feeder under the lawn and use post to support wire as well

just a few thoughts ;)

bigtee

Post by bigtee » 25 Jul 2013, 08:15

I have a Carolina Windom 40-10m in the loft and i work the world in tx, don't under estimate the great space you have there it can work for you.

Alternative is to put it outside but it's not really stealth if you can see it. :mrgreen:

Ebiff2k
Regular
Regular

Post by Ebiff2k » 27 Jul 2013, 19:01

Whopes sorry it took so long to reply I'l go punish my self later!! Thank you for the reply's As its a rented house I don't want to pop off tiles or put masts up, I think I will Grab some wire next week and try a few of the ideas.

Just a random idea while I look at the rotary clothes line. would that make a good antenna? I could get a lot of cable in a cobweb, easy to take down when i move etc etc.

In my old flat I did have a Long-wire setup in the loft space, that worked ok, until the maintenance man went on a copper hunt :twisted: But I also thought being 3 story's in the air helped to :lol:
-Ginger Missile-
-26-TM-368-

tomos

Post by tomos » 30 Jul 2013, 16:48

More costly, but you can't go wrong with the Wellbrook LA5030 loop, made for the attic :)
Though even the outdoor loop, sat on the ground, led against a hedge or fence will (I would think)
out perform the wire? The loops don't need to be high. All comes at a cost though

Stealth Wellbrook ?
http://g0isw.wordpress.com/2013/02/26/s ... p-pattern/

dynamite40
Regular
Regular

Post by dynamite40 » 24 Oct 2013, 20:26

lol just has a thought replace the line with coax on a rotary washing line would it work

FAFFER

Post by FAFFER » 24 Oct 2013, 21:36

Only if it has a plastic frame and you tune it...
Build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne » 25 Oct 2013, 22:49

Replace the rotary washing line with a Cob-Webb one night while the missus is at the bingo.

She'll never know and if you ever need your pants dried in a hurry you can just hit the TX...