too much noise and not enough stations

A place to discuss the HF and Shortwave listening side of the radio hobby. Discuss equipment, frequencies and antenna systems etc. Anything HF!
JGR
Registered New User
Registered New User

Re: too much noise and not enough stations

Post by JGR »

Two suggestions as I am not sure, a very bad power line Ethernet adapter PLT or plasma TV.
On a clear frequency does it sound like its a data transmission and variable etc. or is it a constant tone throughout and it could also be a cheap switched mode power supply feeding back through the mains which acts like a big antenna?
Do not believe everything that is in black and white.
Oh and prestigious Winner of "In Before The Lock June 2014"
Flex 5000A, Trio TS-830S, Icom IC-E2820, IC-E92D and a DVB-T SDR Dongle
Gemini4
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Gemini4 »

somebody else said computer data..but it's not mine..no telly on and no computer on..and it doesn't happen during the day that's why i am baffled..can't be the neighbors either because one side was in spain and the other side was in germany..so i'm baffled :?:
JGR
Registered New User
Registered New User

Post by JGR »

If it is computer data then its a "PLT" and you can be up to a block away from them and still receive it as it travels all the way through the mains, my neighbour at a previous address used one and I could detect the interference using a hand-held scanner as a sniffer over four houses away when I placed the scanner near to there sockets and switches!
It is a job for Ofcom as this one sounds like it is an illegal model that is not notched out for that amateur bands. Just click on this link and fill the details in: https://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/tell- ... dio-system
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

It does sound a bit like PLT...

How well do you know your neighbours? Whenever I am away from home there is still a single machine left running that hosts my virtual servers as well as various bits of networking gear... they are never switched off.
Gemini4
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Gemini4 »

right thanks for the information..i'm on to it now :)
g0slq
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by g0slq »

I'm thinking of moving into the garage - especially in the warmer months now to escape house and mains hum. Can operate from a leisure battery in there and hopefully see a reduction as more fun going portable or mobile with all the pollution these days.
G0SLQ website
Icom IC-7100 + two patchleads and a broken PL
Gemini4
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Gemini4 »

g0slq wrote:I'm thinking of moving into the garage - especially in the warmer months now to escape house and mains hum. Can operate from a leisure battery in there and hopefully see a reduction as more fun going portable or mobile with all the pollution these days.
got to admit as technology improves another problem appears it seems {bnghd} ..if the damn weather would improve i'd go in my shed mate... :)
marcusabacus

Post by marcusabacus »

TV doesn't need to be on or any electrical item , just plugged in as they are still drawing power on standby etc..

My 3500xlt psu wiped out 800mhz of HF and that was just plugged in with scanner off. Unplugged it interference went away.

Try unplugging electrical items one at a time and check.

Moving to a garage or shed probably won't help as the interference will still be affecting the signal.
Waak Waak

Signal R-537S
Baofeng UV-5R
Baofeng GT-3
Yaesu VR160
Uniden Bearcat BCT15X
Tecsun PL365
Sony ICF-5500M
Commradio CR1A
Whistler TRX-2
Uniden UBC3500XLT
Commtel COM207
Nasa HF3
Kenwood R600
Yaesu FRG7
Gemini4
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Gemini4 »

another ham that i know lives a half a mile away and he gets the same interference as i do he said..so that puts a neighbor out the picture really.
as for unplugging electrical items, we had a power cut not so long back and i still got it. maybe its the wouxon.. {bnghd}
Gemini4
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Gemini4 »

found the source guys....not the sony television..but its when the humax box is switched on and a picture comes through the tv..if the tv is on, on its own with a picture i get no interference, but as soon as the humax box goes throught the hdmi into the tv it starts..so do i put a ferrite clasp on the humax box mains lead,aerial or hdmi lead :?:
JGR
Registered New User
Registered New User

Post by JGR »

Sorry for my delay with regards to any responses, my phone line was accidentally cut off by BT engineers on Friday morning and has just got been reconnected now!
Glad you sussed out the location and item causing the issue now to work around the issue and solve it. I would say yes you could try ferrite cores on the leads for a start and see how that gets on and failing that a screened HDMI cable may be a second choice as well.
Gemini4
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Gemini4 »

right got to order some ferrite clasps and rings from amazon and give it a go.thanks
JGR
Registered New User
Registered New User

Post by JGR »

They are not overly cheap to buy mind you! Ferrite cores that is not HMDI cables ;)
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

Do you have an antenna connected directly to the TV?

Would be worth disconnecting this if so and seeing if you still pick up the noise when you turn on the Humax box.

Do you hear the noise with the Humax box switched on but not connected to the telly?
Gemini4
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Gemini4 »

yes there is an aerial attached to the tv..but i only start to get the noise when the box fires up through the tv and not when just the humax box is on solely.